A2 metal aqua ions/ligand substitution.

Watch
VioletPhillippo
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi,

Please could someone explain what happens in the reaction between copper(2) aqua ions and excess ammonia.

I've done one question where they've added NH3 drop wise and then in excess (to the copper(2) hydroxide formed in the 1st reaction.

I've done another question where it just says NH3 is added in excess and it's started with (Cu (H20)6)2+ which obviously gives a different equation.

There's also a question about Fe (3) with excess NH3 which says write an equation, do you just assume that the ppt doesn't dissolve so therefore no reaction?

Then the revision guide gives a different equation which I don't understand, particularly the starting species.

Thanks
Attached files
rosemondtan
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
If it's dropwise you'll form a compound of [Cu(H2O)4(OH)2] which is insoluble but if NH3 is added in excess it'll skip over this insoluble product as the product will dissolve in excess to form [Cu(NH3)6]2+ ! With Fe3+ yep there's no change
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (2)
5.71%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (7)
20%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (4)
11.43%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (3)
8.57%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (11)
31.43%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (8)
22.86%

Watched Threads