Turn on thread page Beta

Are you taking a notebook/desktop with you? watch

ReputationRep:
    Anyone bringing their own computer to Uni?

Is it worth the time for me to buy a new laptop and take it there for first year?

ReputationRep:
    i keep reading threads by people saying a computer is really useful as uni computers are rarely available near deadlines. i have an old computer i'm taking as new ones are just too expensive. a laptop would save a lot of space though...especially sicne they make you live in rabbit hutches!! but if you haven't got one / can't really afford one i'd say wait until you get there and see if there are any second-hand ones available or see if you really need one (i.e. how busy the uni ones get). there's no rush!

ReputationRep:
    I think I'll be taking both my laptop and desktop with me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spleenus`)
    lol taking a toilet too?

ReputationRep:
    I will be taking my ibook

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spleenus`)
    what's the point of taking :confused: both?

ReputationRep:
    one thing, how are you going to take it?! is your parents driving you up or something? hmmm...maybe i should beg my mum for me to take my desktop

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by minx)
    what's the point of taking :confused: both?
    Why? Because I use the desktop for playing games and other things while the laptop has 'information' on it relating to a business I co-own. Hence the need to keep things seperate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by valcandy)
    lol taking a toilet too?
    Might do, not sure yet. Do they even have toilets at university? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Will be taking my desktop PC with me minus the CRT monitor (which is clearly too much to carry by train which is how I'm getting there!).

TFT flatscreen will replace that and since I have a Shuttle XPC the case won't be a problem, I'm more worried about getting my guitar up there in one piece! (Though I think I'll pass on the amp, maybe I should bring an acoustic instead :rolleyes: )

ReputationRep:
    I'm taking my Dell Inspiron 1100 P4 notebook to uni with me. Hope I can have web access in my room tho.

ReputationRep:
    if you buy a top quality laptop with the best specs is it possible to play games such as counterstrike on them? and will they run smoothly? cuz i dont really wana take my desktop.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jay9386)
    if you buy a top quality laptop with the best specs is it possible to play games such as counterstrike on them? and will they run smoothly? cuz i dont really wana take my desktop.
    it is possible. Counterstrike doesn't take much to run. You'll need either a Radeon 9000/9600/9700 or a Geforce FX Go 5200/5600/5700 to really play any game. Obviously the lower the graphics card the lower the resolution you'll need to play in. I've managed to play BF1942 in lowish detail with my Radeon 9000 on the laptop.

The other limiting factor with most laptops is the harddrive. They have HDD's which spin at 4200rpm which can severly limit how fast the data is transferred to the graphics card/CPU and can cause slow down in that respect. It is only just possible now I think to get 7200rpm drives for laptops - and I think I might invest in one

ReputationRep:
    I would recommend bringing your own computer as a lot of halls of residence now have LAN access points in rooms. If you are going to bring a laptop a) get it insured if it isn't yet, b) DO NOT think you will be able to use it to take lecture notes, there is nothing more irritating to a lecturer or speaker than the clacking of a keyboard and you will be asked to stop using it and use a pen and paper.

ReputationRep:
    i was gonna get a laptop for uni but instead got this http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTE...sktopComputers which lets me have a load of disk space but a similar kind of portability and area to a laptop.

it's beautiful

ReputationRep:
    I have this funky Apple Mac Clamshell iBook in Blueberry that I got off Ebay, its in really good condition...however, I don't have a clue how to use it? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BlondeFunkyChic)
    I have this funky Apple Mac Clamshell iBook in Blueberry that I got off Ebay, its in really good condition...however, I don't have a clue how to use it? :confused:
    What's the operating system (I have an iBook G4 on OS X panther)? Go on the net at www.apple.com and have a look at the online info. Macs don't come with much in the way of literature so it's best to just turn it on and have a fiddle you won't bust it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChemistBoy)
    What's the operating system (I have an iBook G4 on OS X panther)? Go on the net at www.apple.com and have a look at the online info. Macs don't come with much in the way of literature so it's best to just turn it on and have a fiddle you won't bust it.
    Aww thank you for your help! I will check out the Apply website It's a 300-MHz PowerPC G3 processor is that what you mean by the operating system? It has been upgraded too and has more memory, but I've lost the details to that... :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BlondeFunkyChic)
    Aww thank you for your help! I will check out the Apply website It's a 300-MHz PowerPC G3 processor is that what you mean by the operating system? It has been upgraded too and has more memory, but I've lost the details to that... :rolleyes:

It will say when you boot it up is it Mac OS 9 or OS X?

ReputationRep:
    I'm taking my laptop (& free printer/scanner/copier courtesy of Dell) with me - thats the purpose for which I had it (though I also made sure it had a good graphics card, etc so I can play games :rolleyes: ). I just find it more conveinent (though I'm getting a card from Birmingham to access the Computer Science laps 24/7 as I'm doing Comp Sci).

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 18, 2004
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.