The Student Room Group

Had a very stressful day setting up a basic printer and Im still mad now!

So I purchased a standard inkjet priter, nothing special but designed to get the job done. I went to the shop got the printer and drove home feeling satisfied with my purchase. Got home opened the box took out the instructions, laughed and threw them down as they were useless to me. Well from the get go I had issues I had to refer back to the instructions just to find where to plug the power connector in. Next went to install drivers only to find it would only install on Windows so loaded my mac into bootcamp, installed drivers then it was telling me to connect a usb lead from the printer to the system.. GUESS WHAT! THE LEAD TO GET THE ****ING PRINTER WORKING IS SOLD SEPARATELY!!! how frigging ridiculous is that?? I have never heard of this in my life its like buying a tv with no remote. I only found all this out by googling the make and model of the printer as my first thought is they must have forgot to put it in the box at the factory.

After trying to find a way to get it to work without the lead I read the instructions and noticed in step 5 included going to the manufacturers website (which gave no reason for doing this) I found instructions to downloading the mac drivers! Well I went through the setup twice as first time things fdup somewhere with the install and again asked me for the leads. I drove 5 miles to get this dumb lead got home and after frustration with the printer thinking no ink was inside, got it to install and print.

The End

Moral of the story- read product descriptions/reviews before purchasing anything electrical and also never think you are too cool to read the instructions.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Got Milk
So I purchased a standard inkjet priter, nothing special but designed to get the job done. I went to the shop got the printer and drove home feeling satisfied with my purchase. Got home opened the box took out the instructions, laughed and threw them down as they were useless to me. Well from the get go I had issues I had to refer back to the instructions just to find where to plug the power connector in. Next went to install drivers only to find it would only install on Windows so loaded my mac into bootcamp, installed drivers then it was telling me to connect a usb lead from the printer to the system.. GUESS WHAT! THE LEAD TO GET THE ****ING PRINTER WORKING IS SOLD SEPARATELY!!! how frigging ridiculous is that?? I have never heard of this in my life its like buying a tv with no remote. I only found all this out by googling the make and model of the printer as my first thought is they must have forgot to put it in the box at the factory.

After trying to find a way to get it to work without the lead I read the instructions and noticed in step 5 included going to the manufacturers website (which gave no reason for doing this) I found instructions to downloading the mac drivers! Well I went through the setup twice as first time things fdup somewhere with the install and again asked me for the leads. I drove 5 miles to get this dumb lead got home and after frustration with the printer thinking no ink was inside, got it to install and print.

The End

Moral of the story- read product descriptions/reviews before purchasing anything electrical and also never think you are too cool to read the instructions.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Always read the label as they say. At least you got it done in the end.

Quick Reply