Best console for uni Watch

username2974816
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I'm going to uni in September and want to have some games to play for my spare time (if I actually get any).

I currently use Xbox 360 (main console) and PS2 (old games), but am considering leaving them at home and upgrading to either Xbox One, PS4 or PC (I already have Steam but am using it on mac to play Outlast....don't scream at me).

I'm stuck between them cos Steam would be way easier to use, Xbox One would mean all my info transfers and I'd have backwards compatibility, but PS4 has better exclusive games. What one should I get?
Zahir.exe
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I would go for PC because games can run better and you get better graphics. You also don't have to worry about backward compatibility.

Personally, since I already have a PS4 I'm also going to get a PC so that I can do Uni work and play some PC games. I doubt I'll be very busy with work unless I'm a party animal, which I'm not.
jonathanemptage
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by lotthamm)
I'm going to uni in September and want to have some games to play for my spare time (if I actually get any).

I currently use Xbox 360 (main console) and PS2 (old games), but am considering leaving them at home and upgrading to either Xbox One, PS4 or PC (I already have Steam but am using it on mac to play Outlast....don't scream at me).

I'm stuck between them cos Steam would be way easier to use, Xbox One would mean all my info transfers and I'd have backwards compatibility, but PS4 has better exclusive games. What one should I get?
PC most X box comes are coming to than anyway (I herd even Halo 6) I f you want a fun one you can play with you hallmates a WII with games like sports resort and SSB you can't really go wrong with.
MadVisionary
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I'm planning to build a PC soon and that's probably the best option if you have the £ to put a decent one together. It's the one with the highest upfront cost, but cheaper to run i.e free online multiplayer and cheaper games, as well as a greater variety of games.

Immediate pros of an Xbox one would be of course you keep your stats and profile, as well as back compat so ofc you'd be able to play some of your old games. It's also a little cheaper than the PS4, I believe.
Immediate pros of the PS4 would be, like you said, better exclusives.

But you've got all that down already so I'll go into a little more detail about the hardware of each, in terms of performance
The Xbox one has a better processor (CPU) out of the two; they both run similar 8-core AMD CPUs but the Xbox one's is clocked at 1.75ghz vs the PS4's 1.6ghz.
When it comes to the graphics card (GPU), however, the PS4 takes the lead. Both consoles use AMD Radeon graphics cards, but the one in the PS4 is rated at 1.81 teraflops compared to the xbox's 1.31 teraflop card. So the only question is, which advantage is more important? Well, the PS4 performed better in mainstream games, like MGS 5 and BF1, managing better resolution at high framerates.
So in terms of performance the PS4 edges ahead. It is, however, worth noting that both consoles provide a massive increase over the Xbox 360 and the PS3 so you're gonna have a great experience no matter which you pick.

Tl;dr with the Xbox one you keep your games and your stats. (And Forza + Halo.)
With the PS4 you don't, but you'll get slightly better performance with some very decent exclusives.

You don't have to make a decision yet, it might well be worth waiting for the Xbox Scorpio reveal, and the PS4 Pro isn't to be sniffed at.

If you can, get a PC though. (Just don't get it pre built.)
erxci
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
PC definetely. I'd imagine it works perfectly with uni too, as you'll be doing some of your work on a computer regardless. #pcmasterrace
username2834970
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Nintendo Switch... got that awesome local multiplayer, you'll be the king of the dorms.

Spoiler:
Show

To actually be helpful, I think Steam. Uni students are typically poor and Steam has a better price range. PS4 second.
Willy Pete
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
We had a PS2 in halls and it was great, nothing beats a bit of Battlefront.
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ
Badges: 16
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by lotthamm)

If you have one I would say that the Wii could be fun to take, whilst it's not as great as the other systems and far more inferior than a PC. Wii sports is so much fun when everyone playing is s***faced.

If it were me I'd take my PS4 since I have more friends with one of those than PC's, and the PC I have was not cheap.
Guru Jason
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Xbox or ps4. Ps4 has better titles but i prefer how the xbox 1 runs better. Obvs pc is great but can be expensive for a uni student
Parametric
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I'd get a small steam PC and a console. You don't need anything flashy, and with the new AMD cpu's being extremely cheap but really fast, it shouldn't cost that much more than a standard ps4. Although playing on the PC would be fun it's much harder to play together with flat mates/people in the halls on, unless they have a PC too ofc. A console is a pretty easy way to game with each other because it's pretty much already set up for multiplayer.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (2)
13.33%
They might tell the bully (2)
13.33%
I don't think they'd understand (3)
20%
It might lead to more bullying (4)
26.67%
There's nothing they could do (4)
26.67%

Watched Threads