The Student Room Group

3 languages, 2 from scratch?

So basically, languages are my passion and a modern language degree really appeals to me but I have a problem: I would love to study 3 languages but will only have an A level in one language.
Due to circumstances, I can only attain an A level in French, I have always wanted to study Spanish but no local schools/colleges offer it at GCSE or A level, nor do they offer any other languages.
I have an A grade at GCSE Latin and am a capable and passionate learner of languages, with an ability to succeed and achieve good grades. I have an A* GCSE in French and am set to achieve an A at A level.
My question is: does anyone know of any (British) universities that will allow me to study 3 languages, 2 of which being from beginner level?
I know that most universities require two languages at A level, but as I shall not have that, I don't have much choice.
I know Warwick university offer 2 languages from beginner level, but as I will be applying to 5 universities, would like to learn of ALL of my other options.
Many thanks, Carys.
Original post by carysjordan
So basically, languages are my passion and a modern language degree really appeals to me but I have a problem: I would love to study 3 languages but will only have an A level in one language.
Due to circumstances, I can only attain an A level in French, I have always wanted to study Spanish but no local schools/colleges offer it at GCSE or A level, nor do they offer any other languages.
I have an A grade at GCSE Latin and am a capable and passionate learner of languages, with an ability to succeed and achieve good grades. I have an A* GCSE in French and am set to achieve an A at A level.
My question is: does anyone know of any (British) universities that will allow me to study 3 languages, 2 of which being from beginner level?
I know that most universities require two languages at A level, but as I shall not have that, I don't have much choice.
I know Warwick university offer 2 languages from beginner level, but as I will be applying to 5 universities, would like to learn of ALL of my other options.
Many thanks, Carys.

No, I don't know any universities that let you study two ab initio languages (at least, not form the first year). Many universities offer second and fourth year students the option to pick up a new language (usually one closely related to your main language).

Even if you do find a university that does offer a three languages (two ab initio) degree, I think you should think carefully before doing it. There's a reason it isn't common, it is generally thought to be too difficult. You risk spreading yourself too thinly and graduating not being fluent in any language at all.
Reply 2
Original post by Snufkin
No, I don't know any universities that let you study two ab initio languages (at least, not form the first year). Many universities offer second and fourth year students the option to pick up a new language (usually one closely related to your main language).

Even if you do find a university that does offer a three languages (two ab initio) degree, I think you should think carefully before doing it. There's a reason it isn't common, it is generally thought to be too difficult. You risk spreading yourself too thinly and graduating not being fluent in any language at all.

What are these universities (toy your knowledge)?
Original post by carysjordan
What are these universities (toy your knowledge)?

That let you pick up a third language as an optional module in your second/fourth year? I believe Oxford, Cambridge, UCL (but only on the Language and Culture degree), Edinburgh and Nottingham do that - tbh I'm pretty sure most places do.

Quick Reply

Latest