The Student Room Group

Working at McDonald's at 16

I've applied for a job at McDonald's but it's a full time role and I'm 16 years old and go to borarding school so I am only home at the weekends. Could I possibly just work full time for my 3 week Easter holidays and then quit after because I obviouusly have school and wouldn't be able to continue on.
McDonald's jobs don't usually last, and the company is totally aware of that. If your application is successful you can try to negotiate the hours with your boss when school resumes. Never communicate anything about salary, you need to show that you applying to McDonald's is because you want to work there.
Reply 2
I started at McDonald's at 16 and stayed for 2 years and worked just at weekends because of full time college. Every holiday or half term they would always boost my hours (I was practically doing full time in the holidays). McDonald's were VERY flexible with me
Reply 3
If you've applied to a full-time role, they'll be expecting you to be of an age where you can commit to 40 hours P/W, every week.You're probably better off reapplying for a PT role? Full Time generally means you're on a 40 Hour contract. Part time contracts are usually zero hours and this results in the fluctuation other people talk of; part time in term time, full time in the holidays.
(edited 7 years ago)
I'm at Maccy D's full time and they expect 40 hours a week from me.
If they give you an interview then explain your circumstances then, all you can do
Why would they want to take you on just for 3 weeks?
By the time you've done your application, they've reviewed it, interviewed you, ect you'll probably be handing your notice in straight away..It's pointless.
Reply 7
Fair enough but are you 16? Im surprised they even want an interview from me as most 16 year olds don't work full time
Reply 8
Original post by Jackieox
By the time you've done your application, they've reviewed it, interviewed you, ect you'll probably be handing your notice in straight away..It's pointless.

Actually I applied 2 days ago and I have an interview today, and my holidays don't start for 2 weeks
@Emma:-) Might be able to help as well
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by holgb
Actually I applied 2 days ago and I have an interview today, and my holidays don't start for 2 weeks

Even so it's likely they'll take a bit of time to make a decision about it... It's just stupid to work somewhere for three weeks, that's taking the opportunity away from someone who genuinely wants it
Original post by holgb
I've applied for a job at McDonald's but it's a full time role and I'm 16 years old and go to borarding school so I am only home at the weekends. Could I possibly just work full time for my 3 week Easter holidays and then quit after because I obviouusly have school and wouldn't be able to continue on.

Id speak to them at the interview- but i doubt they would take you on for just 3 weeks full time. You would be handing in your notice in after about a week or 2. You could ask if you could just work weekends- then full time in the holidays. A lot of people do this. And a lot of stores are quite flexible with things like this. See what they say anyway.
Original post by tej20572
I started at McDonald's at 16 and stayed for 2 years and worked just at weekends because of full time college. Every holiday or half term they would always boost my hours (I was practically doing full time in the holidays). McDonald's were VERY flexible with me

What was the pay like ?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending