londoncricket
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi all,

I hold offers from both University College London and University of California, Los Angeles.

I hold a UCL offer for BSc Economics and Statistics. My UCL offer is A level grades AAA, for subjects Maths, Economics and Further Maths. I would probably try to change courses from Economics and Statistics to Mathematics and Economics, but if I were not to be able to make this change, that would not be a problem as I am very happy with Economics and Statistics as well. in terms of meeting my offer for UCL, I think that I should be able to do it, with some hard work, which I am putting in right now.

For UCLA, the offer of admission is unconditional, as are all US university offers. I would probably major in maths, and minor in economics, if I were to go to UCLA. Maybe I would double major, but I am unsure about that just yet.

Can anyone point me in the right direction as to what school I should accept, assuming I were to meet my UCL offer? If I were to go to UCLA, I would like to attend graduate school and complete a Masters degree, and possibly stay in the US and find a job. If I were to go to UCL, I would like to do a Masters, possibly in the US or a UK university and then try to find a job in the US or London.

Thank you in advance!

P.S. I am a UK student and I would be classed as an international student at UCLA.
feyy
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
In the end, nobody can tell you what to choose. Where do you want to live? Do you mind taking classes outside your major? Do you want to complete a 3 or 4 year degree? Is cost an issue for you? What career are you thinking? Is prestige a concern for you?

Make a list of pros and cons for each. That's the only way you'll get an answer you're happy with.
Snufkin
Badges: 21
Report 4 years ago
UCLA is certainly not worth paying international fees. There's no reason why you can't go grad school in America with a British degree (I know someone who did their PhD at Harvard after a BA at UCL... although it was in Old Icelandic :ahee:).
Student403
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
UCLA is overrated as hell
Lamia Parthenope
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
It is really up to you. Research the cities and colleges and the societies in general. The US is a lot different from UK. Also since you're from UK, think about how comfortable you are about leaving your family and friends; you may also need to deal with home-sickness. You may also want to consider the economic factors (plane tickets, etc.). But at the end of the day it is really about where do you want to be. Both school are great. P.S. don't worry too much about graduate studies and jobs, you can always go from one place to another.
liisshhla
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
UCLA is a really great school. It offers lots of opportunities to its students especially due to its location. If you're looking to ultimately end up in the US, it may help for you to go to school in the US as well. Lots of students at UCLA will get internships before they graduate, which helps them get a job later on. I don't know if campus life is anything that you're concerned about, but if you're looking for the "full" American college experience (sporting events, lots of student clubs, parties, Greek life, etc.), UCLA can definitely offer you that. Students at UCLA have a lot of school spirit and going to the football/basketball games is always lots of fun. On the other hand, I don't know much about UCL so I can't really say anything about it. Good luck to you!! If you have any other questions about studying in the US (particularly UCLA) I'd be more than happy to help!
Ayman!
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Student403)
UCLA is overrated as hell
PRSOM

UCL for Econ and Stats, OP
username738914
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by londoncricket)
Hi all,

I hold offers from both University College London and University of California, Los Angeles.

I hold a UCL offer for BSc Economics and Statistics. My UCL offer is A level grades AAA, for subjects Maths, Economics and Further Maths. I would probably try to change courses from Economics and Statistics to Mathematics and Economics, but if I were not to be able to make this change, that would not be a problem as I am very happy with Economics and Statistics as well. in terms of meeting my offer for UCL, I think that I should be able to do it, with some hard work, which I am putting in right now.

For UCLA, the offer of admission is unconditional, as are all US university offers. I would probably major in maths, and minor in economics, if I were to go to UCLA. Maybe I would double major, but I am unsure about that just yet.

Can anyone point me in the right direction as to what school I should accept, assuming I were to meet my UCL offer? If I were to go to UCLA, I would like to attend graduate school and complete a Masters degree, and possibly stay in the US and find a job. If I were to go to UCL, I would like to do a Masters, possibly in the US or a UK university and then try to find a job in the US or London.

Thank you in advance!

P.S. I am a UK student and I would be classed as an international student at UCLA.
out of state fees for ucla are mad..

Posted from TSR Mobile
adamdubs
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hi all,

Thank you in advance!

I would go for UCL, as I wouldn't really want to go through all the hassle and costs of staying and studying there. Plus if you go to UCL, then you have plenty of opportunities to start networking in London, so you can come out with loads of contacts to get a job after you finish your course.

But at the end of the day, it's your choice
devil09
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
UCLA is one of the very best universities in the world for math (arguably somewhere in the top 10), whereas UCL is decidedly more average. If you were serious about going into math as a career AND if your family could afford UCLA without much hardship, it might be worth it. UCL is a perfectly good and much cheaper option, however, and since you don't seem interested in pursuing a PhD in math, it's hard to justify the extra expense for UCLA.
massgirl13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hi! I'm currently in a very similar position as you trying to decide between University of Edinburgh and UCLA (but for international relations/ economics) and I'm a US student (but from MA so i still have to pay those great out-of-state fees ). A lot of advice I have been hearing from peers and teachers is that UCLA is actually a really supportive community and will really help their students find those internships and research opportunities that they need to get an edge in the job market. I still have no idea where I'm gonna end up in the fall but I wish you luck on your decision
MBarberry
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hello, I have attended both Universities. I completed a MA at UCL and took prep courses for the MA at UCLA. Both are solid schools, but I think I would recommend UCL. A defining characteristic of the educational experience at UCL is that it is cutting-edge. The teachers there focus on the most pressing current ideas in their respective fields of inquiry and engage the students at a high level. There is also more of an active student component in British institutions, whereas in the US the Professors tend to lecture most of the time. Further, it is always an option to pursue a Master's degree in the States after the BSc if that still interests you later. Best of luck!
OMG354
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi all,

Thank you in advance!

Hey can I ask you about your stats? SATs, GCSEs, ALevels etc.
londoncricket
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by OMG354)
Hey can I ask you about your stats? SATs, GCSEs, ALevels etc.
SAT: Reasoning Test: 1480/1600, Subject Test Mathematics 2: 750/800, Subject Test Physics: 780/800
GCSE: 6 A*s & 5As
A level: Mathematics A*, Further Mathematics A, Economics A, Extended Project Qualification A
OMG354
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
SAT: Reasoning Test: 1480/1600, Subject Test Mathematics 2: 750/800, Subject Test Physics: 780/800
GCSE: 6 A*s & 5As
A level: Mathematics A*, Further Mathematics A, Economics A, Extended Project Qualification A
Oh that's great !
Where did you end up going?
londoncricket
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by OMG354)
Oh that's great !
Where did you end up going?
I'm in the final year at the LSE actually!
IBkidinthecorner
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I'm in the final year at the LSE actually!
May I ask why you ended up deciding on LSE?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about starting university this autumn?

Really excited (64)
22.3%
Excited but a bit nervous (129)
44.95%
Not bothered either way (36)
12.54%
I'm really nervous (58)
20.21%

Watched Threads