The Student Room Group

Chemistry work experience

hey! so i am looking to apply for oxford to do chemistry and i was just wondering what work experience i could do to boost my personal statement?
Original post by a.space
hey! so i am looking to apply for oxford to do chemistry and i was just wondering what work experience i could do to boost my personal statement?

You are not expected to have any work experience and it's probably not going to give you an advantage because they're not supposed to advantage those with work experience (apart from for vocational courses like Medicine). If you want work experience for your own personal benefit, then look out for schemes like the Nuffield Research Placements, email the chemistry departments of local universities to ask if you can shadow someone or act as an assistant, or maybe see if anybody in your family or friends have link to some chemical companies.
Reply 2
Original post by a.space

I agree with the previous poster! Work experience isn't necessary, however it can help your application if you display your love of the subject by talking about it. I asked around at my school and managed to get a few days shadowing a chemist in industry. I also complete a Nuffield placement and did some volunteering. I know this is a late reply but hope it's still helpful!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending