The Student Room Group

Chemistry organic

Can someone answer the two questions for me? I have my own but I want to see what I could add
Reply 1
20170316_114712.jpg
Reply 2
Any ideas???
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 3
Any clues
Reply 4
Reactivity decreases as you go down the haloalkanes (from 1-chloro to 1-iodo) as the electronegativity decreases which means that the bond strength decreases and 1-iodo has the weakest c-x bond. A common mistake is to think that since 1-chloro is the most polar, it has the highest rate of hydrolysis but mean bond enthalpy is a more important factor in determining rate of hydrolysis. Since 1-iodobutane has the weakest c-x bond (in this case c-i bond), it has the fastest rate of hydrolysis.

since the bond strength of the c-x bond in 1-iodobutane is the weakest, it requires the least amount of energy to overcome which means that it is broken more easily. The other words seem pretty irrelevant.
Reply 5
Original post by adicas11
Reactivity decreases as you go down the haloalkanes (from 1-chloro to 1-iodo) as the electronegativity decreases which means that the bond strength decreases and 1-iodo has the weakest c-x bond. A common mistake is to think that since 1-chloro is the most polar, it has the highest rate of hydrolysis but mean bond enthalpy is a more important factor in determining rate of hydrolysis. Since 1-iodobutane has the weakest c-x bond (in this case c-i bond), it has the fastest rate of hydrolysis.

since the bond strength of the c-x bond in 1-iodobutane is the weakest, it requires the least amount of energy to overcome which means that it is broken more easily. The other words seem pretty irrelevant.

Thanks alot

Quick Reply

Latest