The Student Room Group

Bandage stuck to wound?

At work on Friday i managed to cut my hand right next to my knuckle with a scraper and it sliced my skin right off and left me with an open wound. my boss put a bandage on it and today iv tried taking it off to find that new skin has formed over the wound and also over the bandage.

How do i take this off i tried soaking it in water for 10 mins and tried pulling it but its completely stuck on there and the thought of ripping it off is making me cringe. whats the easiest way to take this thing off?

thanks
Shower with it on? Might work.
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
At work on Friday i managed to cut my hand right next to my knuckle with a scraper and it sliced my skin right off and left me with an open wound. my boss put a bandage on it and today iv tried taking it off to find that new skin has formed over the wound and also over the bandage.

How do i take this off i tried soaking it in water for 10 mins and tried pulling it but its completely stuck on there and the thought of ripping it off is making me cringe. whats the easiest way to take this thing off?

thanks

You may want to visit a walk-in or pharmacy or call 111 just to make sure you don't damage yourself further taking it off. It's also a good idea to get it looked at if it is a relatively large or deep cut or looks at all nasty.

If it's a small cut I guess try soaking it a bit longer and/ or gently pulling it off bit by bit and carefully removing any troublesome bits of skin. You may find that you benefit from something a bit sharp like scisors or tweezers if it's difficult in places. Do make sure you are super careful and anything you use is clean and sterile. Once you have he bandage off keep the area clean and dry until it's fully healed.

Personally though i'd at least have somebody take a look before you go trying to rip/ cut it off yourself.

Whatever you try, don't leave a wet bandage on for too long cos warm, damp, open wounds are infection heaven. Also, if the cut looks red around it, raised/ swollen, is sore or itchy or has any white-ish pussy stuff or just generally looks troublesome go see somebody (or call 111/ se a pharmacist if you are unsure). It's worth the risk of sounding silly to reduce scaring or prevent infection.
Oh and if you start feeling ill, tired or feverish at all that can also be a signof infection, in which case you should call/ visit somebody.

Oh and just a side note: I hope you/ your boss cleaned it before bandaging it? If not be sure to next time as you don't want to trap dirt or any other nasty stuff in an open wound.
This may all sound pretty common sense, but it is easy to forget sometimes. Hope that helps and you recover soon. :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Kindred
You may want to visit a walk-in or pharmacy or call 111 just to make sure you don't damage yourself further taking it off. It's also a good idea to get it looked at if it is a relatively large or deep cut or looks at all nasty.

If it's a small cut I guess try soaking it a bit longer and/ or gently pulling it off bit by bit and carefully removing any troublesome bits of skin. You may find that you benefit from something a bit sharp like scisors or tweezers if it's difficult in places. Do make sure you are super careful and anything you use is clean and sterile. Once you have he bandage off keep the area clean and dry until it's fully healed.

Personally though i'd at least have somebody take a look before you go trying to rip/ cut it off yourself.

Whatever you try, don't leave a wet bandage on for too long cos warm, damp, open wounds are infection heaven. Also, if the cut looks red around it, raised/ swollen, is sore or itchy or has any white-ish pussy stuff or just generally looks troublesome go see somebody (or call 111/ se a pharmacist if you are unsure). It's worth the risk of sounding silly to reduce scaring or prevent infection.
Oh and if you start feeling ill, tired or feverish at all that can also be a signof infection, in which case you should call/ visit somebody.

Oh and just a side note: I hope you/ your boss cleaned it before bandaging it? If not be sure to next time as you don't want to trap dirt or any other nasty stuff in an open wound.
This may all sound pretty common sense, but it is easy to forget sometimes. Hope that helps and you recover soon. :smile:

Thank you for the answer, really appreciate it. i just had an hour long bath trying to get it off but the bandage is completely stuck to it and there is no way in hell im pulling on it. he did clean it with some wipe before putting a bandage on and i dont think iv got any sign of infection. Just wondering if it will come off on its own? there is absolutely no way im pulling it off now, will the wound scab up and fall off in a matter of time?
Reply 4
Thank you for the answer, really appreciate it. i just had an hour long bath trying to get it off but the bandage is completely stuck to it and there is no way in hell im pulling on it. he did clean it with some wipe before putting a bandage on and i dont think iv got any sign of infection. Just wondering if it will come off on its own? there is absolutely no way im pulling it off now, will the wound scab up and fall off in a matter of time?

Glad you made sure it was clean and bandaged well.
It would probably sort itself out after a while, but now that you've got it wet and everything I would suggest you get it removed and maybe have a clean one put on. I'd say call 111 or visit a pharmacy to see what they suggest and where is best for you to go. It will probably be your local walk-in.
Reply 5
Original post by Kindred
Glad you made sure it was clean and bandaged well.
It would probably sort itself out after a while, but now that you've got it wet and everything I would suggest you get it removed and maybe have a clean one put on. I'd say call 111 or visit a pharmacy to see what they suggest and where is best for you to go. It will probably be your local walk-in.

Well, i got it off, leaving it on was such a bad idea, so many threads of string were stuck inside over new grown skin! i had to get a knife and cut my skin back open, then right in the middle of the wound where it was still healing, dried and bloody were the biggest threads, hurt so bad trying to cut them out i had to pull on the bandage really hard and eventually the whole bandage came out. now im left with a whole in my finger xD least this time it can heal properly!

thanks again for your help.
Reply 6
Well, i got it off, leaving it on was such a bad idea, so many threads of string were stuck inside over new grown skin! i had to get a knife and cut my skin back open, then right in the middle of the wound where it was still healing, dried and bloody were the biggest threads, hurt so bad trying to cut them out i had to pull on the bandage really hard and eventually the whole bandage came out. now im left with a whole in my finger xD least this time it can heal properly!

thanks again for your help.

Might be worth having a dr look at it this time so it can heal better. Glad you finally got the bandage off even if it was a miserable experience. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest