Revision help ?!?!?!?

Watch this thread
Imzy010
Badges: 17
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
HELLO ALLL!!! so im finding it really difficult to start revising for my GCSEs - i know i should have started revising AGES AGO - and trust me i REALLY do regret not revising before but i had some other 'issues' and was basically homeless for a little while so i was in a really bad place. Anyway ive started to tell myself to revise and all but i really find it extremely difficult to do it ??? ive made a strict timetable for when i come straight back home from school but i cant seem to follow it ... i almost ALWAYS have extra school classes (catch up with coursework) so i end up coming home at 5 or 6 - and even when i come home at 4 im EXTREMELY exhausted like im unable to do anything, i dont feel productive at all. i really feel like school sucks everything out of me and im so worried because i really do wanna revise but i cant. i feel more motivated when its sunny and in the morning, but in the morning i have to go school.... the most i can do is do a little coursework but even thats a struggle. please help i dont know what to do ? !!!!
Juno
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Imzy010)
HELLO ALLL!!! so im finding it really difficult to start revising for my GCSEs - i know i should have started revising AGES AGO - and trust me i REALLY do regret not revising before but i had some other 'issues' and was basically homeless for a little while so i was in a really bad place. Anyway ive started to tell myself to revise and all but i really find it extremely difficult to do it ??? ive made a strict timetable for when i come straight back home from school but i cant seem to follow it ... i almost ALWAYS have extra school classes (catch up with coursework) so i end up coming home at 5 or 6 - and even when i come home at 4 im EXTREMELY exhausted like im unable to do anything, i dont feel productive at all. i really feel like school sucks everything out of me and im so worried because i really do wanna revise but i cant. i feel more motivated when its sunny and in the morning, but in the morning i have to go school.... the most i can do is do a little coursework but even thats a struggle. please help i dont know what to do ? !!!!
Have a look at actually what you do, and write it all down. If you're not getting home til late because of classes then you need to include them in the plan. If there's a particular TV show you really like, or a book you want to read, or a shopping trip you need - then include it in the plan.
Really, rest time is as important as revision time. You need to plan enough breaks.
Make sure you're sleeping enough, and eating enough - remember to drink enough water and cut down on fizzy drinks. Caffeine doesn't really help, so if you have a lot of energy drinks then try to cut down there too. Maybe take a multivitamin.

When you do get home from school, you're not going to be able to work straight away. So allow yourself about half an hour to do whatever you want. At the end of that half an hour, turn your phone on silent and put it at the bottom of your wardrobe. Consider turning the internet off at the router, or turn your laptop off completely. Do some revision or homework for 20 minutes, then have another break. You want to keep the revision sessions fairly short at first so that you can adequately focus for the whole session. After a 10 minute break you can start again.
Don't plan revision sessions all the way up to bedtime - you need a while to wind down and get ready to sleep. So try to finish revision about an hour before you hope to go to bed.
With sufficient breaks, this may mean that you only revise for an hour or two each school night. But it will be good quality revision, so is much better than forcing yourself to work all night.
Imzy010
Rep:
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by juno)
have a look at actually what you do, and write it all down. If you're not getting home til late because of classes then you need to include them in the plan. If there's a particular tv show you really like, or a book you want to read, or a shopping trip you need - then include it in the plan.
Really, rest time is as important as revision time. You need to plan enough breaks.
Make sure you're sleeping enough, and eating enough - remember to drink enough water and cut down on fizzy drinks. Caffeine doesn't really help, so if you have a lot of energy drinks then try to cut down there too. Maybe take a multivitamin.

When you do get home from school, you're not going to be able to work straight away. So allow yourself about half an hour to do whatever you want. At the end of that half an hour, turn your phone on silent and put it at the bottom of your wardrobe. Consider turning the internet off at the router, or turn your laptop off completely. Do some revision or homework for 20 minutes, then have another break. You want to keep the revision sessions fairly short at first so that you can adequately focus for the whole session. After a 10 minute break you can start again.
Don't plan revision sessions all the way up to bedtime - you need a while to wind down and get ready to sleep. So try to finish revision about an hour before you hope to go to bed.
With sufficient breaks, this may mean that you only revise for an hour or two each school night. But it will be good quality revision, so is much better than forcing yourself to work all night.
thank you so so much - helped alot !!!!
MissVampire
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Imzy010)
Do revision in short bursts. So, even if it's only a hour it will be something. And allow yourself time for yourself. Have a small break before you start your revision. And perhaps listening to music in the background will help--either your own playlist or try those 'study' music playlists on youtube. Might help you focus more. Motivation is something we all lose at times when coming down to revising, so just take a deep breath and think postive.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has advance information helped during your exams?

Yes (144)
66.36%
No (47)
21.66%
I didn't use it to prepare (26)
11.98%

Watched Threads