The Student Room Group
UAL entrance
University of the Arts London
London
Visit website

Art foundation dilemma

I'm torn between two Unis to do my art foundation at…
I need some help weighing up the pros and cons 😅 Could I get opinions on what is most important out of:
24/7 studio access
Art materials provided
Gallery visits
Good accommodation
Good location
Arts only uni vs normal subjects too uni

Thanks 😊😊
Original post by nolessjess
I'm torn between two Unis to do my art foundation at…
I need some help weighing up the pros and cons 😅 Could I get opinions on what is most important out of:
24/7 studio access
Art materials provided
Gallery visits
Good accommodation
Good location
Arts only uni vs normal subjects too uni

Thanks 😊😊

Studio Access
This has to be the most important aspect. Consider what facilities the uni offers, how much studio space is available to you and how much 1 to 1 support there is from lecturers. The more the better, in my opinion.

Art Materials
Depending on where, unis will provide a limited source of materials and equipment and I guess this links to the quality of facilities - print/photography/ceramic workshops. The majority of the time, students are expected to buy their own materials.

Galleries
Some unis will emphasis the importance on gallery visits although it'll only be beneficial if the exhibitions support your projects/interests. Don't go for the sake of going so that you can shove a leaflet in your sketchbook as evidence. London do seem to have a handful of great galleries but so do other places. Also, these days you can hustle around for cheap train tickets to London if there's an interesting exhibition on but this may be more different the other way round.

Accommodation & Location
This depends on who you are as an individual. Location will definitely affect accommodation prices and for saying you are NOT granted a maintenance loan for an art foundation, you will need to consider this greatly. Question whether you prefer living in a big city or a smaller town - what is there do do when you're not working on art projects? I you are living in student halls, you really need to factor in your budget because money will slip away very quickly. Do not be tempted by ensuite bathrooms that will make the price of accommodation soar and remember that having an ensuite is a luxury and not a necessity (unless you have medical conditions).

Arts only vs. 'Regular'
In my opinion, an 'arts only' uni is quite limiting although this isn't to say you won't meet great people. Going to a uni where there are various subjects exposes you to a wider range of people with perhaps opposite interests and skills that could be beneficial to your projects. It can also be quite refreshing to be around people in different subject areas. Plus, who knows if you'll need a someone who'd taken law/business after your studies?
UAL entrance
University of the Arts London
London
Visit website

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending