The Student Room Group
Student Outside, University of Aberdeen
University of Aberdeen

Is it worth studying BSc Computer Science and Physics at Aberdeen?

Hi all, I left sixth form last sep with grades BCD and somehow got accepted into the Aberdeen Comp Sci and Phys course. My goal was to attend Manchester but one look at my grades and you can see why I didn't achieve that :biggrin:. I picked Aberdeen as a last resort and was thinking more about the location and the countryside than the academic side of it.

The problems I have with attending Aberdeen:

- It's 6 hours away from my home (Leeds) and expensive to travel up and down

- It's probably a very different environment to Leeds but I still need to visit to find out

- It seems that Aberdeen is more of a humanities/medicine/art/theology kind of university and not one that focuses on sciences (with exceptions in marine and petroleum sciences/engineering). Will I still be able to get a high quality comp. science/physics education here? How would it compare to Manchester or any Russell Group Uni?

- It's also a 4 year bachelors as compared to 3 in english unis

The potential positives of attending Aberdeen for me:

- Good location for adventuring and winter sports

- Heard that there's loads of international students so I can meet all sorts of different people

- Aberdeen (and a handful of other scottish Unis) offers a combined Comp Sci and Physics course which few english unis do, as far as I know only Sheffield does that.

I was thinking that if I decided to withdraw my application to Uni I could try to reapply for 2018 entry (but I would be 20yrs old then) as I am currently retaking my A Levels independently, and maybe I would be able to get into Manchester or a uni that is more well known for computer science/physics. However, i'm really not sure if all the trouble is worth it when I already have a place at Aberdeen, but I keep on hearing about 'Job Prospects' and they make me nervous :frown:. I don't want to regret going to Aberdeen if I can't find a science related job afterwards. Do rankings really matter outside of the top 10?

If anyone could give me any input or advice, it would be much appreciated, i've been ruminating over this problem for a few months now.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending