The Student Room Group

Is it worth redoing my A levels?

Hi, so I did my A levels under the old scheme in 2009 where As were the highest grade.

When I did them however I got 260 UCAS points. I somehow got into a decent uni (top 25 uni according to tonnes of UK rankings, including times, guardian, THE and complete guide) and got a integrated masters degree (2:1 overall with my BSc portion averaging a 1st - masters year was screwed with extenuating circumstances). after this I managed to get an internship at a small company and became an accredited professional a couple of years ago.

I am currently looking at grad schemes and am really annoyed with myself / them as they want 300 UCAS points (I have 260).

despite me having a masters degree + being a professional for almost 2 years, is it worth redoing my A levels (in another thread I made, I mentioned more about myself).
Original post by blown_diffuser
#

I am currently looking at grad schemes and am really annoyed with myself / them as they want 300 UCAS points (I have 260).

I don't understand why the hell they'd care about a levels though? Your qualifications are fine. Honestly I'd just submit my CV anyway.

What grades does 300 UCAS points equate to anyway?
Original post by pairofjeans
I don't understand why the hell they'd care about a levels though? Your qualifications are fine. Honestly I'd just submit my CV anyway.

What grades does 300 UCAS points equate to anyway?

BBB- I got BCC :frown: (+ a U at an AS level).

Im slightly worried as a lot of companies are asking for this if you have a 2:1 / 1st BSC. no idea if an integrated masters would reduce the A leve criteria but dont want to be rejected as I really really want to get out of my current line of work (essentially stuck in a profession where there are far too many people vs jobs available, the jobs that are available are going to those with connections and the sector has so many dodgy things happening in it, i dont want to be a part of it).

truth is, Im also looking for parttime work as well but there is no parttime work available anywhere near me (the ones that are are essentially warehouse work on 0 hour contracts and do not want english speakers - english is my 1st language :|)
I strongly recommend you leave the ridiculous company you described.
Original post by T Jack Zhang
I strongly recommend you leave the ridiculous company you described.

Im a freelancer in my field but essentially due to the amount of competition, I am just getting whatever work I can through friends, contacts ive made (used to do agency work but agencies screw you over left right and centre. ive been managing my contracts for a year now and agencies cant get me any work within 100 miles of home (translation almost 200 miles/day travelling with no travel costs). but yh, even if there was jobs, I want out of it and am looking to do something else: be it a grad scheme, a postgrad degree/qualificiation/grad entry degree, etc.etc.etc.

on top of that I have rubbish luck with interviews so I need to find out how to ace an interview (I used to get invited to interviews with big multimillion/multibillion pound companies when I was at uni but I completely screw up the interviews). I am slightly worried as Im in my mid 20s and am concerned if it is too late to be applying for a grad scheme

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending