B1155 - Air Passenger Duty Bill 2017 Watch

This discussion is closed.
adam9317
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Air Passenger Duty Bill 2017, Joecphillips (Seconded by QuamQuam123 MP)

A

BILL
TO

End Air Passenger Duty

BE IT ENACTED by The Queen's most Excellent Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Commons in this present Parliament assembled, in accordance with the provisions of the Parliament Acts 1911 and 1949, and by the authority of the same, as follows:—

1- Repeal
(1) S.28-44 of Finance act 1994

2- Citation and commencement
(1) This Act extends to the United Kingdom.
(2) The provisions of this Act come into force on Royal Assent
(3) This Act may be referred to as the Air Passenger Duty Act 2017

Notes:

Ending air Passenger duty will help reduce the UK's air travel tax that is the highest in the world, it is three times more expensive than the next equivalent tax in the EU (France) and four times higher than Germany. Ireland abolished its air tax entirely in 2014.

The design of APD is neither one of fairness nor of environmentalism. The UK’s APD has survived because it now brings in nearly ten times the revenue intended when it was introduced back in 1994.

The lack of a proper purpose for the tax means that it inhibits growth and damages UK competitiveness. Left on the statute books, it will inevitably force business and revenue to more competitive airports in Scotland, Europe and elsewhere.

Costing
https://www.statista.com/statistics/...ed-kingdom-uk/

Legislation
http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/...t/I/chapter/IV

Quamquam123
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I'm not sure how I would vote on this at the moment. Whilst I feel this tax shouldn't be any more in Britain than it is in other countries, I do value the environment. I would need to see some proof that the environment has not been helped by it before I support it.
LifeIsFine
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I am leaning to an aye on this bill, but I do wonder where you would get the £3.3 billion lost in this bill back from?
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Quamquam123)
I'm not sure how I would vote on this at the moment. Whilst I feel this tax shouldn't be any more in Britain than it is in other countries, I do value the environment. I would need to see some proof that the environment has not been helped by it before I support it.
When was the last time you heard somebody say "I would have gone on holiday, but the APD is just too high and so I decided not to?"
Joep95
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by LifeIsFine)
I am leaning to an aye on this bill, but I do wonder where you would get the £3.3 billion lost in this bill back from?
This will likely increase the amount of people flying so the other taxes may pick up and it will make it cheaper for tourists to come to this country meaning they will have more money to spend boosting the economy.
Gladstone1885
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
The most irksome thing about the tax code is the fact that we have a number of different little taxes designed to hide the true cost of government. Even if this does reduce revenues slightly, it ought to be abolished. Aye
wolfmoon88
Badges: 21
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by joecphillips)
This will likely increase the amount of people flying so the other taxes may pick up and it will make it cheaper for tourists to come to this country meaning they will have more money to spend boosting the economy.
I am unconvinced that ending this tax would increase tourist spending when they visit the UK.
username2080673
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I must say, it's amusing to see my Labour counterpart second the bill and show some ambiguity as to his support regarding it. Unlike him, I support the bill being proposed. Aye.
LifeIsFine
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Will it though? If this does not actually help the environment (ergo decrease the number of flights, or provide a barrier to flight) then will it mean more people will fly? Perhaps, I am not sure.
I do understand your second point but I do doubt the fact that over £3 billion a year will be made from it.
I am still on the fence with this bill.
Joep95
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by wolfmoon88)
I am unconvinced that ending this tax would increase tourist spending when they visit the UK.
This will reduce the cost of a return flight in economy by around £150, it could be argued that possibly a individuals spending wouldn't increase but with the price of holidays to the uk being reduced it would likely lead to more tourists
Joep95
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Will it though? If this does not actually help the environment (ergo decrease the number of flights, or provide a barrier to flight) then will it mean more people will fly? Perhaps, I am not sure.
I do understand your second point but I do doubt the fact that over £3 billion a year will be made from it.
I am still on the fence with this bill.
Yes, if you reduce the cost of flights by £150 pp it will likely lead to more people flying for a family of 4 that would be £300 saved as under 16's are exempt.
SoggyCabbages
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Quamquam123)
Christ, why do you second things you don't agree with?
LifeIsFine
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Conceited)
I must say, it's amusing to see my Labour counterpart second the bill and show some ambiguity as to his support regarding it. Unlike him, I support the bill being proposed. Aye.
I feel it should be said that it is likely Quamquam seconded the bill merely so it could be sent the house.
username2080673
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I feel it should be said that it is likely Quamquam seconded the bill merely so it could be sent the house.
I keep forgetting that none of the Libers are MPs. Sorry QQ
LifeIsFine
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Yes, if you reduce the cost of flights by £150 pp it will likely lead to more people flying for a family of 4 that would be £600 saved as under 16's are exempt.
I do understand your argument but of course there is no way to verify this. Due to previous money generating bills passed by the house this term I will vote aye based on principle.
username2808800
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Where will the liberals find £5bn from the Saudi Arabia motion.
CoffeeAndPolitics
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Nay - As the SoS for Energy and Environment, I share concerns about poor air quality caused by road traffic and air traffic and do understand the point you've made; however, I can't support a bill that will leave a £3.3 billion blackhole in the economy. I just can't.
Joep95
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Conceited)
I keep forgetting that none of the Libers are MPs. Sorry QQ
That will change soon the libertarian 50 is coming soon
username2808800
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by CoffeeAndPolitics)
Nay - As the SoS for Energy and Environment, I share concerns about poor air quality caused by road traffic and air traffic and do understand the point you've made; however, I can't support a bill that will leave a £3.3 billion blackhole in the economy. I just can't.
Yet you support the labour party.
:rofl: :rofl:
Joep95
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by CoffeeAndPolitics)
I take it you have changed your mind on the Saudi motion? After all at will leave a much bigger black hole in the economy.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice now or on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (131)
19.58%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (64)
9.57%
No I am happy with my course choice (378)
56.5%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (96)
14.35%

Watched Threads