Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

5 year or 3 year degree

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I'm trying to decide which uni to choose and I thought I'd ask for some opinions - I'm deciding between University of Manchester and University of Glasgow. The only thing is, at Glasgow I'd be doing a joint honours in French/Psychology meaning the course is 5 years (one is a year abroad) and at Manchester it's just psychology so it's 3 years (although I'm considering a year abroad). I do really want to keep up my French but the 5 years seems a bit much, considering that if I want a job in psychology I'll have to do further study anyway.. But I also think having a joint honours with a language will benefit me in terms of finding a job as it's more than just a degree in psychology..
    Can anyone offer some advice on whether they would say a 5 year degree is worth it??!
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by etenna24)
    Hi,
    I'm trying to decide which uni to choose and I thought I'd ask for some opinions - I'm deciding between University of Manchester and University of Glasgow. The only thing is, at Glasgow I'd be doing a joint honours in French/Psychology meaning the course is 5 years (one is a year abroad) and at Manchester it's just psychology so it's 3 years (although I'm considering a year abroad). I do really want to keep up my French but the 5 years seems a bit much, considering that if I want a job in psychology I'll have to do further study anyway.. But I also think having a joint honours with a language will benefit me in terms of finding a job as it's more than just a degree in psychology..
    Can anyone offer some advice on whether they would say a 5 year degree is worth it??!
    Thanks
    The first year of Scottish university degrees are comparable to A levels/Advanced Highers, if you've done these qualifications and received high grades then you might be able to skip the first year entirely - ask Glasgow and see what they say.

Doing a language as part of your degree will make finding a job easier/give you more career options, but only you can decide if it's worth it. Most combined Psychology and French degrees are only four years in length, Glasgow seems to be a bit of an anomaly in taking 5 years. If you do want to take French but don't want to commit to 5 years, would you consider applying somewhere else via adjustment or clearing?

ReputationRep:
    You have the option of a year study abroad (and additional language learning) alongside the Manchester psychology degree. It's 4 years but would give all the benefits of the Glasgow course in a shorter period?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    You have the option of a year study abroad (and additional language learning) alongside the Manchester psychology degree. It's 4 years but would give all the benefits of the Glasgow course in a shorter period?
    The OP could learn French on the side (either by doing an outside module or using Manchester's language centre), the problem is the year abroad. Apparently Psychology students at Manchester can only go to Spain. I suppose the OP could do a Psychology degree at Manchester, learn French on the side and then do a British Council language assistantship in France after they've graduated, that way they'd still get to do a year abroad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snufkin)
    The OP could learn French on the side (either by doing an outside module or using Manchester's language centre), the problem is the year abroad. Apparently Psychology students at Manchester can only go to Spain. I suppose the OP could do a Psychology degree at Manchester, learn French on the side and then do a British Council language assistantship in France after they've graduated, that way they'd still get to do a year abroad.
    That's Erasmus plus exchanges (where academic credit from the study abroad counts towards final degree credit) and they normally only last for 1 semester - with a full year abroad placement there's the option to arrange your own because the study abroad credit doesn't count towards the degree (which for a single honours psychology degree it wouldn't have to - OP would have 360 credits from Manchester). With 2/3 years to arrange things it's not unfeasable to arrange a placement in France (either working or studying) as a non credit bearing year abroad (especially given that with article 50 going through a lot of universities are sorting out their procedures to allow exchanges outside of erasmus+ ).

(plus OP could always go to Canada as another option )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    That's Erasmus plus exchanges (where academic credit from the study abroad counts towards final degree credit) and they normally only last for 1 semester - with a full year abroad placement there's the option to arrange your own because the study abroad credit doesn't count towards the degree (which for a single honours psychology degree it wouldn't have to - OP would have 360 credits from Manchester). With 2/3 years to arrange things it's not unfeasable to arrange a placement in France (either working or studying) as a non credit bearing year abroad (especially given that with article 50 going through a lot of universities are sorting out their procedures to allow exchanges outside of erasmus+ ).

(plus OP could always go to Canada as another option )
    Hum, that's interesting. I always thought you were limited to whichever universities your home department had arrangements with. Am I right in thinking that if OP arranged their own year abroad outside of the Erasmus+ scheme, they would not have access to additional European bursaries and would have to fund the year themselves using only their UK maintenance loan? I suppose that's possible with careful planning and a willingness to live outside the more expensive cities, I guess the OP has lots to think about!

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    Thanks
    Go to Manchester., then to France for a Masters, although even a certificate in French will do, travelling extensively from Paris to Lyon to Nice to ...., and then back for some real work experience. How's all that compared to 5 yrs in Glasgow?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GandalfWhite)
    Go to Manchester., then to France for a Masters, although even a certificate in French will do, travelling extensively from Paris to Lyon to Nice to ...., and then back for some real work experience. How's all that compared to 5 yrs in Glasgow?
    I like this idea, thank you! Will definitely consider

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    Only problem is that France isn't on the list for Psychology year abroad locations

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snufkin)
    The first year of Scottish university degrees are comparable to A levels/Advanced Highers, if you've done these qualifications and received high grades then you might be able to skip the first year entirely - ask Glasgow and see what they say.

Doing a language as part of your degree will make finding a job easier/give you more career options, but only you can decide if it's worth it. Most combined Psychology and French degrees are only four years in length, Glasgow seems to be a bit of an anomaly in taking 5 years. If you do want to take French but don't want to commit to 5 years, would you consider applying somewhere else via adjustment or clearing?
    I was considering clearing/adjustment but don't really fancy any of the other unis that offer it. Sadly not many places offer psychology and french. Will definitely look into skipping first year, thanks for the suggestion!

ReputationRep:
    Only problem is that France isn't on the list for Psychology year abroad locations
    It's not on the list of erasmus+ partnerships - that doesn't mean it isn't an option for a year abroad partway through your degree. Contact the exchange team at Manchester and ask if there's any way you could spend a year abroad (either officially or during a year out) in france (or canada - McGill is in Quebec )

ReputationRep:
    Another option might be to go to Manchester and spend your summers on the Continent studying or working. A number of universities in France and Switzerland do French language summer schools (université d'été / cours d'été). I think the point both me and PQ are making is that there are ways to keep up with your French and have the year abroad experience even if you don't do a conventional language degree.

ReputationRep:
    Do them separately. You will get much more from each on their own.

Poll
Which party will you be voting for in the General Election 2017?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.