Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by an Siarach)
    I see what you mean. As i say i was simply pointing out the situation there as having a lot of potential for conflict in the futre. As to the way the taiwanese view themselves i definately read that they considered themselves as taiwanese rather than chinese now, though i cant recall exactly where (the times i think) where did you come across the info for the latest poll?
    yeah, i can see there being a conflict if America and China does fight over taiwan.

i read loads of cources some points to this some points to that. my source was the BBC i think....it asks whether people considers themselves to be taiwanese or chinese. and whether people want indepenedce.

some people think they're chinese, some taiwanese. but most people think they're both. althogh more and mroe people are considering themsleves taiwanese. the same goes for the independence poll.

personally i've got no problem of taiwan gaining indepenedence if the majority (i mean like more than just 51% ) are for it. but i just dont like teh way people always say its a war between communism and demorcracy or trying to impose democracy on a country without realsing the consequences.

its been nice chat anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fly By)
    yeah, i can see there being a conflict if America and China does fight over taiwan.

i read loads of cources some points to this some points to that. my source was the BBC i think....it asks whether people considers themselves to be taiwanese or chinese. and whether people want indepenedce.

some people think they're chinese, some taiwanese. but most people think they're both. althogh more and mroe people are considering themsleves taiwanese. the same goes for the independence poll.

personally i've got no problem of taiwan gaining indepenedence if the majority (i mean like more than just 51% ) are for it. but i just dont like teh way people always say its a war between communism and demorcracy or trying to impose democracy on a country without realsing the consequences.
    Yeah - i really dislike the communist threats of war should the the chinese of taiwan decide they want a fully seperate nation.

its been nice chat anyway.
    It certainly stopped work from sucking my will to live anymore than usual :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by foolfarian)
    Just look at Venezuala. Current president uped the amount of oil exports to carribean and S.American countries (at a discount) rather than make more money by selling to the US. Then 2001 (i think) there was an attempted coup which the US immediately 'recognised' as a legitamate government. Luckily it didn't last and he got reinstated. But it shows just how corrupt the US values are when it comes to their own interests.
    J
    American oil corporations sponsored the kidnapping of Hugo Chavez and so aided the coup. Pretty ruthless, eh?

ReputationRep:
    My opinion is that the crisis will stem from the Middle East. I don't think that North Korea will stick their neck out too far - while Kim Jong Il is probably hungry for power, he is clever enough to know that he would lose it all if he tried anything too ambitious. However, if he is really clever, he may do something when the US is tied up in another theater where the **** has hit the fan. This would bring any conflict onto a global scale.

The American interventionalist foreign affairs policy has created a lot of animosity in the Middle East in past few years, particularly with invasions/liberations in Iraq and Afghanistan. We also have the issue of Iran and their nuclear weapons programme, which the Americans will not allow to unfold. The Al Saud family is losing influence, particularly among young people, to fundamentalist anti-American doctrines like Wahhibism. I see a coup in that country in the next 20 years, to which the Americans will respond with force.

I see these two issues as the most prominent threats to world peace, and it is difficult to tell how events will unfold here. But if the **** does hit the fan in either of these theatres, it will get very messy and an awful lot of nations will be dragged into it.

There is also the India/Pakistan conflict. In 2002 these two countries came awfully close to kicking off big style. Add to this the threat of a South East Asian nuclear arms race (involving Pakistan, India, China and possibly North Korea), we can see that the stakes and tensions would rise dramatically. One issue that may be most contentious is the future is the oil-rich Spratly Islands in the South China Sea. A number of countries lay claim to these, however the most contentious conflict would be between Japan and China.

This theatre hasn't evolved into a very recognised threat yet, whereas the Middle East is heating up as we speak. I therefore think it will be in the Middle East where any global conflict will stem from.

ReputationRep:
    Oh, and add to this the possibility of Arab tensions with a (probably) nuclear-armed Israel getting out of control.

There's an awful lot of issues to juggle in the international arena, and as soon as one ball drops, then the others are more likely to drop too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by muncrun)
    Oh, and add to this the possibility of Arab tensions with a (probably) nuclear-armed Israel getting out of control.
    That is an interesting point. There is no real counter-balance for Israeli nuclear weapons.

ReputationRep:
    Just an interesting point which shows how far the US is often willing to go to have puppet countires: In the cold war the US became fearful that the Italians were about to elect a Communist government. Of course since the US always say how everyone should be able to say how they are govered (and by what form of government) they rigged the elections! :mad: Therefore Italy was officialy not a democracy but rather a dictatorship thanks to the Americans. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chubb)
    Just an interesting point which shows how far the US is often willing to go to have puppet countires: In the cold war the US became fearful that the Italians were about to elect a Communist government. Of course since the US always say how everyone should be able to say how they are govered (and by what form of government) they rigged the elections! :mad: Therefore Italy was officialy not a democracy but rather a dictatorship thanks to the Americans. :rolleyes:
    It must get rather boring for them living on such a peaceful continent, who can blame them :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MadNatSci)
    I wish I believed that, but I really don't. Universal truth = People Are Stupid. Nukes won't deter everyone and as soon as one goes, I bet the rest do.

Nobody's mentioned India and Pakistan - anyone reckon the tension there is a threat? They're both nuclear powers, after all.
    I agree with you, i think it could start as a result of that conflict.

ReputationRep:
    If there is one I hope it starts in America, since their leaders would rather die than hear the word "peace".

ReputationRep:
    we are essentially witnessing World War 4

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vortex_199)
    If there is one I hope it starts in America, since their leaders would rather die than hear the word "peace".
    and as predicted, the entire thread turns into US-Israel bashing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vienna95)
    :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    :rolleyes:
    yes, it does get tedious.

ReputationRep:
    we are essentially witnessing World War 4
    ooo controversial, do you adhere to the cold war as world war three school of thought?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Masonne)
    ooo controversial, do you adhere to the cold war as world war three school of thought?
    yes.

ReputationRep:
    i dunno about the muslim fundamentalists... they seem to have allot of issues.. and although they hare good at scaring people, i don't realisticly think anyone world war 3 would have started in irland when the IRA was being well.. the IRA. Plus they practically live in a time warp with unrealistic ilusions of grandure...

Maybe as china becomes more and more developed and the people start becoming educated (my beijing friend tells me something like 75% of the people can't read/write live in midevil like conditions farning in the countryside) and make demands on fule and on democracy.. maybe a civil war could break out? i think that seems like a point at which america would jump in bringing (draging) every one else behind them ???

just specuating here

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by little.rebel.L)
    maybe a civil war could break out?
    Theres already a civil war going on in China - its been going on since the 1940s between the Communists and the Democrats.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    What is the criteria for a war to be labelled a world war?
    Thats a very good question. The Iraq debacle is arguable a world war, given that countries from four continents were engaged in conflict at one point. But I think people would call for the criteria to be something of a drawn out conflict between the stronger nations of the world. Examples obviously being the first two world wars. WW1 comprised of the industrial strength of Britain, Germany, France and Russia along with the lesser countries in a drawn out conflict which resulted in an incredible loss of life. WW2 again involved these countries with even greater loss of life.

ReputationRep:
    Ah well, when you're onto a good thing, stick to it Other than that, I thought there were a few posts that were worthwhile.

Poll
Do you have any savings?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.