uxa595
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi,

I graduated with a 2.1 in Accounting and Finance from Warwick uni in 2016. I've since been working for a global utilities start-up as a director. I'd now like to go into IBD and I've also applied for MSc programs for Sep 2017. I also completed a risk internship at a large BB whilst at uni.

Any recommendations on how to best break into a FO IBD role?

Summer internships seem to be all filled up by now and I'm not even sure I'd be eligible. Following that, off-cycles and full time roles seem to require experience which I don't have.
gr8wizard10
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
off-cycles don't require significant experience, and that's probably the best route in for you at this stage.
uxa595
Rep:
?
(Original post by gr8wizard10)
off-cycles don't require significant experience, and that's probably the best route in for you at this stage.
Almost every single off-cycle I look at requires 'past experience in corporate finance/M&A etc...'
uxa595
Rep:
?
As a side note, should I only go for target unis for masters programmes or are non targets like Birmingham univeristy ok too?

I've applied for targets but funding will be tough - would be far easier going to a non-target. In that case, would it suffice that i've been to a target at UG?
Commercial Paper
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by uxa595)
As a side note, should I only go for target unis for masters programmes or are non targets like Birmingham univeristy ok too?

I've applied for targets but funding will be tough - would be far easier going to a non-target. In that case, would it suffice that i've been to a target at UG?
Would strongly recommend attending a target uni for MSc. Think it'll be even harder at that level if it isn't a target.

I'd focus on target unis and Summer Analyst / Off-Cycle Programmes. Or go to the Big 4 and complete your ACA.

Posted from TSR Mobile
uxa595
Rep:
?
(Original post by Commercial Paper)
Would strongly recommend attending a target uni for MSc. Think it'll be even harder at that level if it isn't a target.

I'd focus on target unis and Summer Analyst / Off-Cycle Programmes. Or go to the Big 4 and complete your ACA.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Than thank you so much - exactly what I was thinking.

Will it matter if the MSc is in entrepreneurship? My UG is accounting and finance.
Commercial Paper
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Than thank you so much - exactly what I was thinking.

Will it matter if the MSc is in entrepreneurship? My UG is accounting and finance.
I doubt it'll make any difference but it sure sets you up for the interview question "Why IB over entrepreneurship/start-up?". So be ready for that.

If you're at a target, fine. If not, do something closer to finance.

Generally speaking people who do MSc, normally do it in something more closely related to finance but this is normally because their UG wasn't related. But who knows, some recruiters might see it as interesting and others might view it as "soft / lack of direction".

Posted from TSR Mobile
Commercial Paper
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hi,

I graduated with a 2.1 in Accounting and Finance from Warwick uni in 2016. I've since been working for a global utilities start-up as a director. I'd now like to go into IBD and I've also applied for MSc programs for Sep 2017. I also completed a risk internship at a large BB whilst at uni.

Any recommendations on how to best break into a FO IBD role?

Summer internships seem to be all filled up by now and I'm not even sure I'd be eligible. Following that, off-cycles and full time roles seem to require experience which I don't have.
Maybe this will help more: http://www.mergersandinquisitions.co...ters-programs/

Posted from TSR Mobile
uxa595
Rep:
?
Thanks, it's stuff we covered or I already know. My main worries are the fact I'll be doing an MSc Entrepreneurship vs Finance and also the fact i've been working with start-ups for a whole vs these guys who hit a string of internships.

The game plan at the moment is find something finance/Accounting/IBD related for the next 6 months and then secure an internship come Sep.

Do you think doing the ACA for 6 months to develop financial services experience and save money, then leaving and applying to IBD would be good or show a lack of commitment to the ACA?
Commercial Paper
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Thanks, it's stuff we covered or I already know. My main worries are the fact I'll be doing an MSc Entrepreneurship vs Finance and also the fact i've been working with start-ups for a whole vs these guys who hit a string of internships.

The game plan at the moment is find something finance/Accounting/IBD related for the next 6 months and then secure an internship come Sep.

Do you think doing the ACA for 6 months to develop financial services experience and save money, then leaving and applying to IBD would be good or show a lack of commitment to the ACA?
Yeah I agree it has a lot of potential to be problematic for you. I think your game plan is fine.

However, I feel very strongly that if you are going to do the ACA - you must stick with it and get the ACA. There is absolutely no point in starting the ACA and not completing it. And actually, if you ever want to be a CFO, the ACA is a very good thing and will give you a strong grounding.

Some banks, especially Rothschild & Co, hire a lot of Big 4 ACA and even have a preference for this type of candidate due to technical ability.

Posted from TSR Mobile
uxa595
Rep:
?
(Original post by Commercial Paper)
Yeah I agree it has a lot of potential to be problematic for you. I think your game plan is fine.

However, I feel very strongly that if you are going to do the ACA - you must stick with it and get the ACA. There is absolutely no point in starting the ACA and not completing it. And actually, if you ever want to be a CFO, the ACA is a very good thing and will give you a strong grounding.

Some banks, especially Rothschild & Co, hire a lot of Big 4 ACA and even have a preference for this type of candidate due to technical ability.

Posted from TSR Mobile
With the ACA, the issue is they are all mid tier firms rather than the traditional big 4 that get you the solid credentials and FTSE100 exposure- It's also my understanding that those going into IB are usually ex-big4 but I may be wrong.
But I want the chance to go into a big 4 in Sep (which I feel I am more than capable of landing) as I do value it as a profession. However, if I join a mid-tier for 6 months, leave for a masters and apply to the big 4, I think they would be less than pleased with my level of commitment. I know I sure would be.
natninja
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago

The way they'd see it is if you can't deal with the ACA there isn't a chance you'd cope with IBD

Start ups are actually good experience to be honest, especially if you've had some success as it shows business acumen, entrepreneurialism, drive and tenacity and also it's different but not the bad sort of different- your issue will be that they'll wonder why you actually want to do IB
uxa595
Rep:
?
Ok - so I hold two offers and I wanted a little feedback on which to go for.
I have an offer from Warwick to do MSc Innovation and Entrepreneurship and UCL to do MSc Entrepreneurship. From a banking application point of view, which one would hold more weighting? My guess would be a similar weighting?

Due to financial reasons (Warwick costing me half the cost of the UCL course), I am heavily leaning towards the Warwick course if there isn't any substantial benefits to doing the UCL course.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (87)
24.3%
No (271)
75.7%

Watched Threads