Would you rate yourself as clever?

ReputationRep:
    I would say I am in between being clever and dumb , average.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lee.C)
    Personally no, I would say I am hard working but not naturally talented or clever.

ReputationRep:
    I'd like to think I was a good 5/10 in the ole clever stakes:cool:

No

ReputationRep:
    Relatively.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lee.C)
    I'd say slightly above average. But only slightly.

ReputationRep:
    Probably about 7.5/10. In terms of a combination of knowledge and ability to gain more knowledge

ReputationRep:
    Is this the part where we post our GCSEs?

ReputationRep:
    I'd say I'm clever, but also incredibly stupid in the sense that I enjoy being lazy and wasting my own potential.

ReputationRep:
    Almost everyone on this website is above average. The average person has an IQ of 100 and barely gets a C in gcse maths. The average person is an imbecile.

ReputationRep:
    Id say im just slightly more than a standard deviation above average

ReputationRep:
    I'm told I am but my A-Level and GCSE results would say otherwise I wasn't clever enough for anything I wanted to do though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lee.C)
    In academic terms, yes. However, it's not a particularly useful thing to tell yourself, and, even less so, others.

ReputationRep:
    There's different types of clever. I strongly believe that. For example, people seem to be talented, and especially intuitively, in different areas that are artistic, social, emotional, musical, mathematical, logical, etc. The last two might sound silly to separate but I actually believe there's a difference. I've found that the more intuitive mathmos I know make illogical arguments and write some awfully inefficient code - yet pick concepts up far more quickly than I do. That's only my personal experience and I'd change my mind if presented with better evidence than my small sample.

Anyway, that's not supposed to make you feel fluffy on the inside, because not everyone is clever at anything. Some people are clever in lots of things. Most people aren't exceptional in anything. I think a disappointingly large number of people are just stupid. I quote Hardy, because I think he is right: "...most people can do nothing at all well. ... perhaps five or even ten percent of men can do something rather well. It is a tiny minority who can do something really well..."

My favourite people are socially and emotionally intelligent, although I'm unlikely to get on with them if they lack logical competence.

To actually answer the question, which I find rather uncomfortable, over-all, for academic potential and intelligence, I place myself at about 1 in 13, which is rather average for my sort of thing, and at about 2 in 15 for mathematical intuition, which is extremely disheartening as a maths student. I think I excel in logic.

I'm not sure how important intelligence is. Obviously some baseline level of intelligence is important, but more important, I think, is a drive, by looking at eminent figures. Using IQ, it being the only poor guideline we have, 125 seems to be the minimum to be particularly good at something, looking at Richard Feynman. Einstein is another example: he was obviously clever; the mathematics of general relativity is exceptional - yet when he was young he never stood out academically. I don't know how that happened, even he always considered his sister to be more clever, but one possible conclusion that could be drawn is that his mental capacities were enough, and grew with the right mindset and development. At a certain point, it seems that having the right mindset becomes more important than anything else. Intelligence is simply the enabling factor, you then have to have the right mindset to do something with it. That encompasses motivation, work ethic, determination, and possibly a dream.

Oh, an addendum just occurred to me after posting: I strongly believe that the brain is a fantastic machine if used properly, and that most people just don't look after it. Perhaps that's a bit contradictory with my opinion that a-lot of people are just stupid. What I mean is that those people didn't have to turn out stupid, and could certainly improve their intelligence to some degree with the right mindset. There is both fluid and set intelligence. As for the set intelligence, I think it is more plastic during childhood and needs to be set well. That's one of the reasons I begrudge my parents for not letting me have more of an influence on my little brother when he was younger, as he didn't turn out smart and now spends his time doing trivial things, despite clearly having a reasonable mental facility. Anyway, there is strong evidence for that, (greater plasticity of the brain during childhood), given that some of the brightest children are those of dual teacher parents. That makes it hard to guesstimate my own intelligence given that most people don't utilise their potential, and makes it likely that I've over-inflated - if I'm right. I'm judging intelligence by what I believe to be potential, and in certain areas, intuition, as-well as one's present capability to apply intellect to new situations that don't relate to learnt knowledge, so as to measure the actual power of the brain, not what it has been trained to do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by coupdetat3)
    Almost everyone on this website is above average. The average person has an IQ of 100 and barely gets a C in gcse maths. The average person is an imbecile.
    Not sure about that. But yes this site is decent.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by coupdetat3)
    The average doesn't try hard enough in school.

ReputationRep:
    Yes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vesniep)
    Not sure about that. But yes this site is decent.
    Not sure about what?

(Original post by B_9710)
    The average doesn't try hard enough in school.
    School doesn't make you intelligent.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Livvyxo)
    I'd say I'm clever, but also incredibly stupid in the sense that I enjoy being lazy and wasting my own potential.
    I am you, you are me. I feel like. If I were clever I wouldn't be such a procrastinator....But...I'm not dumb

Cute profile pic btw

ReputationRep:
    No, not at all.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: March 22, 2017
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Would you ever go to a non Russell Group uni?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.