Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:

~ 221Breezeblock's ~
    LAST MINUTE A-LEVEL JOURNEY TO A*s

(hopefully.......)

Helloooo everyone, welcome to my study blog.:wavey:
    I am a hopeful future French & Arabicstudent.
    ~

My three A2 subjects:
    • French (AQA)
    • Philosophy (AQA)
    • Maths (Edexcel)

Additionally, I will be taking my Grade 8 flute exam after Easter (Trinity Board).:flute:

This is my last ditch attempt to buckle down once and for all, and finally start working at the rate that I need to be in order to achieve my dreams. I'll update this as often as I can - not setting any goals with this yet, just going to see how I get on.

I have a problem:
    Spoiler:
    Show

A confession:

I have a huuuuuuuuuge procrastination problem. Part of me starting this post right now is me procrastinating. But I've also made this to motivate myself. Tim Urban's blog post on procrastination speaks to my soul. I can't remember my last properly productive work day. And I hate myself for it, and yet I can never seem to change.

On a regular basis will I be sitting at my laptop finishing a French essay at 1AM when that previous weekend I had slept in till 12 noon and f*cked around on the internet all bloody day. I do not work then cram it all in at the last minute. On a day-to-day basis it works, but I am unhappy and I am unable to revise and prepare the way I know I should.

My problem started properly about a year ago right before my AS exams. I didn't work hard and was just basically incredibly lazy, thus my exam scores suffered and now I am having to go through the pain of re-taking 4 AS exams.
    As some of the biggest exams of my life are now approaching, the only block of holiday left is over Easter, and I can feel the time flying by, and I am fairlyyy worried about repeating last year.

~~

GCSE Results:
    Spoiler:
    Show

7A*s, 3As.

AS Results:
    Spoiler:
    Show

Drama: A
    Dropped Drama after AS.

French: A
    Achieved an A in the writing, scraped a B in the speaking.
    Will be retaking French AS Speaking.

Maths: Overall B
    C1: B (retaking)
    C2: C (retaking)
    S1: A

Philosophy: C......
    I will very much be retaking AS Phil.
    Kmn (it's a three hour exam where to do well you basically have to memorise a 350 page textbook)

Predicted Grades & Personal Goals:
    Spoiler:
    Show

French: A*

Maths: A
    If I work for it I know I can achieve A*. (IF I WORK FOR IT)

Philosophy: A
    This was vaguely massaged from a B to an A for the sake of UCAS after doing a small mock back in September.
    Although I really bloody want an A!!!

I would absolutely LOVE to get at least a Merit in my Grade 8 flute exam. I am trying to practice every single day in order to achieve this.

Uni:
    Spoiler:
    Show

Course:French & Arabic

Unis applied to:
    • Durham (offer AAA)
    • St Andrew's (rejected, cree, although typical offer for my course is AAB...)
    • Exeter (offer AAB)
    • Edinburgh (waiting)
    • Warrick (offer ABB)

Despite applying to uni for 2017 entry, I am most likely going to take a gap year (work till xmas, live in France for 6 months).

The point of this blog is that I want to get the A*s that I know I can get if I work hard enough. My dream is to next year re-apply to Oxbridge... To be successful with that however I need to work my arse off NOW!

My potential is there. I just don't deliver. I WANT TO CHANGE THAT!
    Any encouragement / tips to not procrastinate would be greatly appreciated.

~~

ReputationRep:
    I wish you the very best of luck! And hey ho, maybe we'll both be applying to Oxbridge this October

ReputationRep:
    This looks good. I wish you luck! I am also taking my A2 exams this year. I do Maths too.

I'd advise you to split your subjects up into modules and those modules into specific topics. Then timetable in a few hours a night and tick off your topics as you go through them. You will feel so good with the sense of accomplishment!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mac117)
    I wish you the very best of luck! And hey ho, maybe we'll both be applying to Oxbridge this October
    I wish you all the luck too! What subject will you be applying for?

(Original post by GamingandMaths)
    This looks good. I wish you luck! I am also taking my A2 exams this year. I do Maths too.

I'd advise you to split your subjects up into modules and those modules into specific topics. Then timetable in a few hours a night and tick off your topics as you go through them. You will feel so good with the sense of accomplishment!
    Thank you I shall hopefully be doing a timetable for the Easter holidays. I have a very busy last two weeks (mocks etc.) but hopefully will get into a good work habit (finally).. I love organising myself and making timetables etc but I always struggle to stick to them...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 221Breezeblocks)
    I wish you all the luck too! What subject will you be applying for?

Thank you I shall hopefully be doing a timetable for the Easter holidays. I have a very busy last two weeks (mocks etc.) but hopefully will get into a good work habit (finally).. I love organising myself and making timetables etc but I always struggle to stick to them...
    Medicine, fingers crossed Probably Cambridge, as I like the course more as well as the city. But I need the 42+ predicted first, haha! What about you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mac117)
    Medicine, fingers crossed Probably Cambridge, as I like the course more as well as the city. But I need the 42+ predicted first, haha! What about you?
    Are you an international student? And hopefully French & Arabic! :france:
    But I also have a great interest in philosophy

ReputationRep:
    Are you an international student? And hopefully French & Arabic! :france:
    But I also have a great interest in philosophy
    I'm EU, so strictly speaking yes but not really for admissions :P

Philosophy... you'd definitely enjoy TOK in IB haha!

ReputationRep:
    Sun 19/03/17- #1: A Bad Beginning:dong:

Homework I was supposed to do over the weekend:
    • An entire 1.5 hr Ethics paper, under timed conditions but with notes. (due tomorrow)
    • French essay on Amélie ~ I tend to procrastinate French essay to oblivion... (due tomorrow)
    • Complete French L'Avare questions from JMB in preparation for my Mock Speaking on Friday.
    • Pack for my overnight residential post-offer day to Durham!

What I have done:
    • Planned each question for the Ethics paper, except the 25 mark essay at the end.
    • Started to make final notes on Utilitarianism in my big Notes word document. Only noted 5 out of the targeted 20 .

Plans & Goals for the week:
    1. I have about 50 mins before school then a study period P1, so I will complete the Ethics paper then before the lesson P2. Let's bloody hope I do it.
    2. Going to try and quickly do a plan for Amélie essay now. I am missing the lesson (leaving at lunch), thus I will hopefully get it done on the train journey up to Durham). Will email it to her by arrival at 4:30.
    3. May watch Amélie again on the train back on Tuesday in order to refresh my memory to prepare for my French Mocks this Thurs & Fri.
    4. Will complete and learn L'Avare oral Qs.
    5. Need to badly revise Amélie themes, techniques, & influences as that is the question that I'm almost guaranteed to do on Thurs.

Flute Progress: 40 mins total this weekend. Pretty sh*it amount considering I was at home all day today and I'll not be able to practice tomorrow (Durham).:hmmm: Today focused on the harder bits of the third page of Schubert's Sonata in Am.
    AS Phil Status: Done nothing since Feb half term (noted all of Phil of Religion: Ontological Arg). Before that had done nothing since Oct half term (noted all of Epistemology: Direct Realism). Not not not not good at all. :ashamed::ashamed:
    Sources of Procrastination: Up till 2:30AM last night f*ucking around on the internet. Thus didn't get up till 11AM. F*ucked around on TSR and started this thread. Watched a lot of pointless, mind numbing YT. I am a bad bad bad bad person. :ashamed2::banghead:
    Final Thoughts: Going to be a late night tonight. A great start to the week. :erm::frown: Hopefully I'll get through tomorrow and be able to enjoy the Durham Post-Offer day. I do this alot. I procrastinate all the free available time I have until the very last minute, then I cram cram cram cram so then I am unable to enjoy a normal, stress free Monday morning catching up with friends.

Despite this: I have gotten my mother to change all my main social media passwords so I can't access them (FB, snap, & insta) in order to cut down on aimless time wasting. I also waste a lot of time on youtube, but am unable to completely block myself off it. (I mean literally - if I delete the app, I'll just redownload it, or access it on my browser or my laptop...) Hopefully my guilt will keep me from watching more Jeffree Star / HowToCakeIt vids. :dong::dontknow:
    ~
    Ahhh. Sunday night, 11PM. Off to plan the Amélie essay then sleep.:sleep:
    Have a good week everyone!
    ~

ReputationRep:

221Breezeblock's LAST MINUTE A-LEVEL ROAD TO SUCCESS

(hopefully.......)

Helloooo everyone, welcome to my study blog.:wavey: I am a hopeful future French & Arabic uni student.
    I shall try and update this everyday (all good days and bad days).

My three A2 subjects:
    • French (AQA)
    • Philosophy (AQA)
    • Maths (Edexcel)

Additionally, I will be taking my Grade 8 flute exam after Easter (Trinity Board).:flute:

This is my last ditch attempt to buckle down once and for all, and finally start working at the rate that I need to be in order to achieve my dreams.

I have a problem:
    Spoiler:
    Show

A confession:

I have a huuuuuuuuuge procrastination problem. Part of me starting this post right now is me procrastinating. But I've also made this to motivate myself. Tim Urban's blog post on procrastination speaks to my soul. I can't remember my last properly productive work day. And I hate myself for it, and yet I can never seem to change.

On a regular basis will I be sitting at my laptop finishing a French essay at 1AM when that previous weekend I had slept in till 12 noon and f*cked around on the internet all bloody day. I do not work then cram it all in at the last minute. On a day-to-day basis it works, but I am unhappy and I am unable to revise and prepare the way I know I should.

My problem started properly about a year ago right before my AS exams. I didn't work hard and was just basically incredibly lazy, thus my exam scores suffered and now I am having to go through the pain of re-taking 4 AS exams.
    As some of the biggest exams of my life are now approaching, the only block of holiday left is over Easter, and I can feel the time flying by, and I am fairlyyy worried about repeating last year.

~~

GCSE Results:
    Spoiler:
    Show

7A*s, 3As.

AS Results:
    Spoiler:
    Show

Drama: A
    Dropped Drama after AS.

French: A
    Achieved an A in the writing, scraped a B in the speaking.
    Will be retaking French AS Speaking.

Maths: Overall B
    C1: B (retaking)
    C2: C (retaking)
    S1: A

Philosophy: C......
    I will very much be retaking AS Phil.
    Kmn (it's a three hour exam where to do well you basically have to memorise a 350 page textbook)

Predicted Grades & Personal Goals:
    Spoiler:
    Show

French: A*

Maths: A
    If I work for it I know I can achieve A*. (IF I WORK FOR IT)

Philosophy: A
    This was vaguely massaged from a B to an A for the sake of UCAS after doing a small mock back in September.
    Although I really bloody want an A!!!

I would absolutely LOVE to get at least a Merit in my Grade 8 flute exam. I am trying to practice every single day in order to achieve this.

Uni:
    Spoiler:
    Show

Course:French & Arabic

Unis applied to:
    • Durham (offer AAA)
    • St Andrew's (rejected, cree, although typical offer for my course is AAB...)
    • Exeter (offer AAB)
    • Edinburgh (waiting)
    • Warrick (offer ABB)

Despite applying to uni for 2017 entry, I am most likely going to take a gap year (work till xmas, live in France for 6 months).

The point of this blog is that I want to get the A*s that I know I can get if I work hard enough. My dream is to next year re-apply to Oxbridge... To be successful with that however I need to work my arse off NOW!

My potential is there. I just don't deliver. SO LET'S CHANGE THAT!
    Any encouragement / tips to not procrastinate would be greatly appreciated. Let's all motivate each other!!

~~
    You got excellent gcse results.

CONGRATULATIONS

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MaherPhd)
    You got excellent gcse results.

CONGRATULATIONS

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thank you, if only they mattered to unis more and if only I would work as hard now as I did for them!

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.