The Student Room Group

Chronotype Study - Our lab differs from what's expected

The study found here, conducted by Archer, SN et al concluded that there was a correlation between genotype and chronotype.

It found that individuals with the H5/H5 genotype tended to be morning people while those with the H4/H4 genotype tended to be evening people.

My class isolated our DNA from our salivary, it was amplified using PCR and then the genotypes were determined using Gel Electrophoresis.

The last thing I was asked to do was to conduct a Chi-Squared test to see whether there was a significant difference between what was observed and what would be expected if the H4 and H5 alleles were spread homogenously amongst the people who completed the questionaires. According to the study, the people who answered that they were 'Morning people' or 'Evening people' should have more likely to have the H5/H5 and H4/H4 genotypes respectively.

But according to the stats test, there was no significance difference (I got a chi squared value of 0.91 and the chi-squared value for the probability level of 0.05 for df==1 is 3.84). So I failed to reject the null hypothesis and concluded that the alleles were distributed homogenously.

My question, if you've followed me so far, is what might have contributed to the difference between our result and what the study concluded. Do not worry, this is not my 'homework'. I'm just curious.

Latest

Trending

Trending