The Student Room Group

How to convince my parents

I'm planning to study abroad for my degree and my parents are against it. I'm turning 19 soon so I don't need their permission technically but I would prefer for them to support my decision. Any advice ??
Just tell them why it means a lot for you to go and why doing so won't leave you utterly ****ed financially or otherwise and if all else fails like you said you are and adult that can make their own mistakes so they can suck a lemon ^^
Reply 2
So I've gone through the same issue and when I brought it up to my family that I was thinking about studying abroad everyone quickly said no don't do it or you're crazy... etc... basically I made sure I had all the facts... how I was gonna pay for everything, where I would be staying, and that I knew the process for applying. My university was very good about informing students about what they would need to study abroad in whichever country they chose, I told my family basically everything about the process so that they understood. Of course parents are not going to want you to leave and go somewhere far away where they can't get to you within a moments notice. You gotta tell them that you want to live an adventurous life and that this is something you really want to do... to see the world and people (also explain how it will look on resume!) After all this is your life and your experience and they gotta let you live it how you want to live it.
Reply 3
Original post by Abbs11
So I've gone through the same issue and when I brought it up to my family that I was thinking about studying abroad everyone quickly said no don't do it or you're crazy... etc... basically I made sure I had all the facts... how I was gonna pay for everything, where I would be staying, and that I knew the process for applying. My university was very good about informing students about what they would need to study abroad in whichever country they chose, I told my family basically everything about the process so that they understood. Of course parents are not going to want you to leave and go somewhere far away where they can't get to you within a moments notice. You gotta tell them that you want to live an adventurous life and that this is something you really want to do... to see the world and people (also explain how it will look on resume!) After all this is your life and your experience and they gotta let you live it how you want to live it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending