Manchester Metropolitan University (MMU) Accommodation Thread

Watch
Manchester Metropolitan University
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
With registration for 2017 accommodation now open we thought we would set up a new thread with up to date information on the accommodation that we offer and the process for applying.

At our Manchester Campus, we currently offer the following accommodation:

We also have some partner accommodation which is owned and managed by other providers, but can be applied for through the Manchester Met application process.

To be eligible to register your interest in accommodation you need to live further than 5 miles away from the University, have a conditional or unconditional offer for a full time course, and you need to have made us your firm choice.

There are three stages to apply for accommodation with us:

Stage 1 - Registering your Interest
Spoiler:
Show

The first stage is to register your interest and confirm that your details are correct. Once you have submitted a registration of interest, you will receive a confirmation email from the Student Living Team, which will include the next steps for your application.

Please note that at this point you are not actually indicating which accommodation you would like. It is just you registering your interest. You will indicate your preference at Stage 2.

Stage 2 - Making your Application
Spoiler:
Show

Once eligible you will receive an email inviting you to apply for accommodation (subject to availability).
  • Eligible currentstudents will be invited to apply for a room from March 2017 onwards
  • Eligible unconditional firmstudents will be invited to apply for a room from April 2017 onwards
  • Eligible conditional firmstudents will be invited to apply for a room once their results have been released and their offer becomes unconditional

When applying for your room you will need to review the terms and conditions and pay an application fee of £200. This will be deducted from the total cost of your accommodation fees.

Stage 3 - Confirming your Payment
Spoiler:
Show

This stage only applies to students who have applied for rooms in the university owned accommodation.

At this stage you will need to tell us how you are going to pay your accommodation fees and will be provided with options outlining how you can pay.

Once this stage is complete you will receive am email from the Student Living Team confirming you have now formed a contract for your room! :yeah:

If you have applied for a room with one of our partner providers they will contact you directly.

A step-by-step on how to apply can be found on our website, which also contains some really useful videos showing you what the accommodation portal looks like.

Further information on accommodation, including contact details for the accommodation team and advice on moving in, can be found at at http://www2.mmu.ac.uk/accommodation/.

If you have any questions about the above or would like further information on any of our accommodation please do not hesitate to ask

Rebecca & Stewart
Sophielou135
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I'm having trouble registring my interest. I accepted MMU as my unconditional firm last night and have tried multiple times to register my interest since but get the message saying I am not eligible. Also I haven't recieved any emails of MMU acknowledging that I have accepted thier offer, should I expect one? (Could have something to do with it)
Rep:
?
(Original post by Sophielou135)
I'm having trouble registring my interest. I accepted MMU as my unconditional firm last night and have tried multiple times to register my interest since but get the message saying I am not eligible. Also I haven't recieved any emails of MMU acknowledging that I have accepted thier offer, should I expect one? (Could have something to do with it)
It can take up to 48 hours for it to feed through from UCAS that you have made us your firm choice. This is probably the reason as to why it is not letting you registering your interest so I wouldn't worry :cool:

If you try again tomorrow it should work (providing that you live further than 5 miles away from the University and you have a place on a full time course).

If it still isn't letting your register your interest by the end of the day tomorrow, then please give us a ring on Wednesday on 0161 247 6969 and we will look into it for you

We do not usually send emails acknowledging that applicants have accepted offers.

I hope this helps. Any more questions just let me know

Rebecca
BethGMull
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hi,

I have registered my interest for accommodation and have received a conformation email. However, I am confused about what to do next.
Do I start step two in August (as I am holding a firm conditional offer), or do I have another email about when I can specifically apply?

Thank you!
Rep:
?
(Original post by BethGMull)
Hi,

I have registered my interest for accommodation and have received a conformation email. However, I am confused about what to do next.
Do I start step two in August (as I am holding a firm conditional offer), or do I have another email about when I can specifically apply?

Thank you!
You won't be able to apply for your room until your offer is made unconditional. Once your offer has been made unconditional you will need to wait for an email from our Student Living Team, inviting you to apply for your room. It is only at this point that you will be able to apply. You will also need to pay an application fee of £200.00.

It is therefore a case of waiting to see if your offer goes unconditional on results day and then waiting for the email :crossedf:

Good luck with your exams and assignments! Hopefully we will be seeing you in September

If you have any more questions just let me know.

Rebecca
BethGMull
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Manchester Metropolitan University)
You won't be able to apply for your room until your offer is made unconditional. Once your offer has been made unconditional you will need to wait for an email from our Student Living Team, inviting you to apply for your room. It is only at this point that you will be able to apply. You will also need to pay an application fee of £200.00.

It is therefore a case of waiting to see if your offer goes unconditional on results day and then waiting for the email :crossedf:

Good luck with your exams and assignments! Hopefully we will be seeing you in September

If you have any more questions just let me know.

Rebecca
Ah thank you so much for your help!
rico0320
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Is there anything else that I have to do other than completing stage 1 to get an email about stage 2? I've accepted an unconditional so I'm hoping to get this done and dusted as quick as I can.
Rep:
?
(Original post by rico0320)
Is there anything else that I have to do other than completing stage 1 to get an email about stage 2? I've accepted an unconditional so I'm hoping to get this done and dusted as quick as I can.
If you have completed stage 1 and registered your interest then you just need to wait for the email form our Student Living Team inviting you to apply for your room.

Unconditional firm students will be invited to apply for a room from April 2017 onwards so I would keep an eye on your emails next month.

Hope this helps and I hope you get a place in the halls you are interested in

Rebecca
Bar_r
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hello Rebecca,
At this moment I live in Manchester in a sharing house but I would like to move to your accommodation. Can my application be rejected because I don't live far away or it doesn't affect?
Rep:
?
(Original post by Bar_r)
Hello Rebecca,
At this moment I live in Manchester in a sharing house but I would like to move to your accommodation. Can my application be rejected because I don't live far away or it doesn't affect?
Hi, if your home address is within a 5 mile radius, unfortunately you cannot register your interest in our accommodation yet. Students who are not invited to apply for a room in our accommodation are eligible to register on the waiting list. To register on the waiting list, please contact the Student Living Office on [email protected] at the beginning of the academic year.

You might want to get in touch with our Accommodation Team directly to find out whether you are eligible to apply and discuss your own situation. They are the best people to speak to about this. Their number is 0161 247 2958.
DrakeJE
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I'm leaning towards making mmu my firm choice but I haven't yet, so I haven't registered my interest in accommodation (I have a conditional offer).
I'm wondering; does it matter when you register interest in accommodation? i.e. will people who have already registered interest weeks ago (who also have conditional offers) get access to stage 2 before me (if I were to register my interest now), providing we both get our results at the same time?
Cheers
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by DrakeJE)
I'm leaning towards making mmu my firm choice but I haven't yet, so I haven't registered my interest in accommodation (I have a conditional offer).
I'm wondering; does it matter when you register interest in accommodation? i.e. will people who have already registered interest weeks ago (who also have conditional offers) get access to stage 2 before me (if I were to register my interest now), providing we both get our results at the same time?
Cheers
If you hold a conditional offer, then the sooner you register your interest in our accommodation, the sooner you will receive the email inviting you to apply for Stage 2 of the accommodation process when you are made unconditional. Popular halls will start filling up, so it is better to register earlier if you would like more choice when it comes to picking your room.

However, I wouldn't worry about this too much. We offer an assurance for accommodation (whether University or private) to all students in their first year of study, providing they register before the 14th August 2017. You will therefore just need to made sure that if you do make us your firm choice, and you would like to stay in our accommodation, that you register your interest before the 14th August :cool:

I hope this helps. If you have any more questions just let me know.

Rebecca
bambn
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hi just wondering which halls are already gone? I have a conditional so cant apply properly until later but have done stage 1. I'm interested in the birley townhouses do these go quickly? Which ones are most likely to be left in august?
Rep:
?
(Original post by bambn)
Hi just wondering which halls are already gone? I have a conditional so cant apply properly until later but have done stage 1. I'm interested in the birley townhouses do these go quickly? Which ones are most likely to be left in august?
Unfortunately we do not get notified when halls have filled up. You are therefore best contacting our Accommodation Team at 0161 247 2958 or [email protected]. They will be able to advise if any have already gone and if so which.

I hope this helps

Rebecca
Essbelle
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hi I was wondering how far the briarfields accommodation is from the business school and does anyone know anything about it like what the areas like what are the closest shops, how far it is from restaurants and the Trafford centre as google is coming up with the wrong things
Rep:
?
(Original post by Essbelle)
Hi I was wondering how far the briarfields accommodation is from the business school and does anyone know anything about it like what the areas like what are the closest shops, how far it is from restaurants and the Trafford centre as google is coming up with the wrong things
Briarfields is just a 5 minute walk from the business school! :thumbsup:

There is a spar right by the accommodation for you to do your food shopping, with a Co-Op and Tesco Express within 10-15 minutes walk.

Our campus is based within Manchester city centre, so in terms of restaurants, there are plenty within the area.:eating: There are restaurants based all over Oxford Road within 5-10 minutes walking distance. It is also only a 20 minute walk into the heart of the city centre, where you will find a wide range of restaurants and retail shops. Alternatively you can hop on to a bus which will take you into the centre within 5 minutes.

If you visit the Manchester tourist website at https://www.visitmanchester.com/, you will find some good tips on where to shop and eat.

The Trafford Centre is around a 20-30 minute drive from Briarfields, depending on traffic. You can also get the X50 bus from near Briarfields to the Trafford Centre which takes around 30-35 minutes, again depending on traffic.

If you haven't had the chance to visit us already, it may be worth coming down to our Open Day on the 21st of June to have a look around the accommodation and the area. You can book online here.

I hope this helps If you have any more questions just let me know.

Rebecca
emily26
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I've registered my interest in accommodation but have a conditional offer so I can't go on to step 2, but i've noticed in the facebook groups for freshers and individual halls that lots of people know where they're staying. are these all people who have unconditionals or have I missed a part of step 1 or something?? just worried because there's so many who already know
Rep:
?
(Original post by emily26)
I've registered my interest in accommodation but have a conditional offer so I can't go on to step 2, but i've noticed in the facebook groups for freshers and individual halls that lots of people know where they're staying. are these all people who have unconditionals or have I missed a part of step 1 or something?? just worried because there's so many who already know
Only those who have unconditional offers, or those that are returning students, are able to pick there rooms and will therefore know where they are staying.

As long as you have completed stage 1 and registered your interest, then you have done everything you need to do at this stage, so there is no need to worry :cool: You will just need to wait to see if your offer becomes unconditional on results day, and if so wait for the email from our Student Living Team inviting you to complete stage 2.

Fingers cross you get the unconditional offer on results day! :crossedf:

Rebecca
markova21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
My son has tonight Firmed his Conditional Offer for Direct Entry into Year Two. He registered his interest in Accommodation a while ago. As it will be his first year going to University would he be able to have a room in Halls [ Birley] ? Neither of us would want him to go into a private flat the first year he's living away from home.[ We live in Northern Ireland].
Rep:
?
It's certainly possible for your son to live in university halls even though he is applying to Year 2 entry. So, tell him to sit tight and
await his results and hopefully his offer will then be unconditional.

Hope this helps!

Stewart
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (256)
33.86%
No (500)
66.14%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed