bookooo
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
this will sound really ridiculous but I dont know where else to ask and im unsure about going ahead without it being confirmed. this is about the specifications they give you on the edexcel website for A-Levels...

for example psychology. I only have to learn what they give you on it right? Like even though there are several other topics inside the textbook, Im able to ignore those & ONLY study what is listed in the specification right? I know this is silly but Im a bit paranoid incase I have to know everything inside the textbook or something.
bookooo
Rep:
?
^ up. please help, especially with psychology
gdunne42
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by bookooo)
this will sound really ridiculous but I dont know where else to ask and im unsure about going ahead without it being confirmed. this is about the specifications they give you on the edexcel website for A-Levels...

for example psychology. I only have to learn what they give you on it right? Like even though there are several other topics inside the textbook, Im able to ignore those & ONLY study what is listed in the specification right? I know this is silly but Im a bit paranoid incase I have to know everything inside the textbook or something.
I can't answer your question specifically as I don't know the psychology specification inside and out and I don't know which text book(s) you are using but.......

In general, if you have a current text book that is specifically written for and matched to the current specification and it is published or endorsed by your examiner then it's hard to imagine that there is anything in it that is not relevant to your exams.

A specification isn't a text book and while it should definitely list all of the topic areas, it will not necessarily give the fine detail of everything you need to know.

If you have an old text book or a general one that is not specific to your examiner then of course there may be things in it that are not relevant to your A levels.
bookooo
Rep:
?
(Original post by gdunne42)
I can't answer your question specifically as I don't know the psychology specification inside and out and I don't know which text book(s) you are using but.......

In general, if you have a current text book that is specifically written for and matched to the current specification and it is published or endorsed by your examiner then it's hard to imagine that there is anything in it that is not relevant to your exams.

A specification isn't a text book and while it should definitely list all of the topic areas, it will not necessarily give the fine detail of everything you need to know.

If you have an old text book or a general one that is not specific to your examiner then of course there may be things in it that are not relevant to your A levels.
Hi, thank you for responding. the thing is, the A-Level psy edexcel textbook has several sections, like any book of course, but when I look at my specification (I'm doing IAL) not everything is listed. For example in my textbook they have areas on drug addiction, or pages on a certain theory, but in the specification they have some other things listed. And ive compared it to the specification of AL, and its quite different, evolution is listed in theirs but in ours it isnt. So thats why im wondering, can I go based on the specification and only study the topics theyve listed, using the book?
gdunne42
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hi, thank you for responding. the thing is, the A-Level psy edexcel textbook has several sections, like any book of course, but when I look at my specification (I'm doing IAL) not everything is listed. For example in my textbook they have areas on drug addiction, or pages on a certain theory, but in the specification they have some other things listed. And ive compared it to the specification of AL, and its quite different, evolution is listed in theirs but in ours it isnt. So thats why im wondering, can I go based on the specification and only study the topics theyve listed, using the book?
The current uk specification is different from the IAL specification, as it now is for most of the subjects. It is possible there is material in the current uk text book that is not relevant to IAL and there may be things missing.

Posted from TSR Mobile
bookooo
Rep:
?
The current uk specification is different from the IAL specification, as it now is for most of the subjects. It is possible there is material in the current uk text book that is not relevant to IAL and there may be things missing.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Okay, so then its ok for me to only study whats in the specification using the book right? Like for example if they dont even list the topics of drug addiction, then they wont give questions like that for the exam paper right?
gdunne42
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Okay, so then its ok for me to only study whats in the specification using the book right? Like for example if they dont even list the topics of drug addiction, then they wont give questions like that for the exam paper right?
I'm reluctant to say yes that's ok just in case the topic you think is not in the specification is implied by something that is. You need expert advice and if you don't know anyone who can advise then if I were you I'd post in the forum where psychology is discussed and be as specific as you can about your problem (I.e. That you are doing Edexcel IAL and which text book you are using).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Michiyo
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Are you referring to having two therapies for each approach, for example studying drug therapy OR brain surgery for the biological approach?

In that case, you just choose one and ignore the other. If you study drug therapy, you do not have to study brain surgery.

If not, I would say your book probably gives you more examples than you need (I did WJEC Eduqas Psychology and my book gave me eleven examples when I only needed six for my essay), which is the only other case in which you can ignore bits of the book.
sarah1001
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago

For psychology and which topic did your school choose? (Out of intrest)
Out of health, criminology, child

Posted from TSR Mobile
bookooo
Rep:
?
I'm reluctant to say yes that's ok just in case the topic you think is not in the specification is implied by something that is. You need expert advice and if you don't know anyone who can advise then if I were you I'd post in the forum where psychology is discussed and be as specific as you can about your problem (I.e. That you are doing Edexcel IAL and which text book you are using).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Okay, thank you. an example of this is they have a theory called psychodynamic theory in the book & its listed for the A-Level specification but not for our IAL specification, and for all the past papers I have done so far, it has not come even once. And in in our specification they even list a tiny case study thats like one paragraph, and it actually came for a paper. So thats why I was making sure, if I can ignore the other topics in the book and only study those given in the specification.
bookooo
Rep:
?
(Original post by Michiyo)
Are you referring to having two therapies for each approach, for example studying drug therapy OR brain surgery for the biological approach?

In that case, you just choose one and ignore the other. If you study drug therapy, you do not have to study brain surgery.

If not, I would say your book probably gives you more examples than you need (I did WJEC Eduqas Psychology and my book gave me eleven examples when I only needed six for my essay), which is the only other case in which you can ignore bits of the book.
I'm not doing those, but I think you are right when you say the book gives more examples. In my case there are a lot of theories in the book or paragraphs on drug addiction and dependence, but in the specification for IAL its not listed but other parts are. And so far I haven't gotten anything off the specification so I was wondering if I can rely on the specification to guide me on what to study in the book
bookooo
Rep:
?
(Original post by sarah1001)
For psychology and which topic did your school choose? (Out of intrest)
Out of health, criminology, child

Posted from TSR Mobile
We haven't started yet but for IAL, child psychology is now mandatory, and we have to choose between health and criminology now so I'm thinking of doing Health since its more related to Clinical psy too. What have you chosen?
sarah1001
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
We haven't started yet but for IAL, child psychology is now mandatory, and we have to choose between health and criminology now so I'm thinking of doing Health since its more related to Clinical psy too. What have you chosen?
Ohh i see, i chose child (clinical is mandatory for us)

What is IAL btw?

Posted from TSR Mobile
bookooo
Rep:
?
(Original post by sarah1001)
Ohh i see, i chose child (clinical is mandatory for us)

What is IAL btw?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Clinical is mandatory for us too, so we had to choose between health and criminology. IAL is International A Levels made for people outside the UK. Thats why I asked my question cuz IAL specification is different from AL specification so yeah...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now? (select all that apply)

Lack of purpose or routine (190)
15.54%
Uncertainty around my education (199)
16.27%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (120)
9.81%
Isolating with family (85)
6.95%
Lack of support system (eg. Teachers, counsellors) (47)
3.84%
Lack of exercise/ability to be outside (106)
8.67%
Loneliness (118)
9.65%
Financial worries (52)
4.25%
Concern about myself or my loved ones getting ill (110)
8.99%
Exposure to negative news/social media (89)
7.28%
Lack of real life entertainment (eg. cinema, gigs, restaurants) (107)
8.75%

Watched Threads