The Student Room Group

How do you reference a print article?

Not a normal version but a printed version of an article from like JSTOR?
Original post by Theguynextdoor

Like you would another article but without the hyperlink
Reply 2

As long as it is effectively a scan of the paper version, then you would reference it as if it was the paper version. You only reference material as web sourced with a hyperlink, if it is only available online.

For example, a paper from The Lancet can be downloaded from repositories like JSTOR, but would be referenced as though you were using the published paper version. A paper from the BMJ Open website will only be available online and so you would reference it as an online source, complete with hyperlink and access date.
Original post by Klix88
As long as it is effectively a scan of the paper version, then you would reference it as if it was the paper version. You only reference material as web sourced with a hyperlink, if it is only available online.

For example, a paper from The Lancet can be downloaded from repositories like JSTOR, but would be referenced as though you were using the published paper version. A paper from the BMJ Open website will only be available online and so you would reference it as an online source, complete with hyperlink and access date.

just one quick Q too

my tutor said that in text references need pg #'s in case you use the same book, ive got the pg number for one i cited 3 times but i cant access it and cant remember from what page each were, should I just put 261-270 on each of them??
Reply 4
just one quick Q too

my tutor said that in text references need pg #'s in case you use the same book, ive got the pg number for one i cited 3 times but i cant access it and cant remember from what page each were, should I just put 261-270 on each of them??

We can only guess - it depends on the tutor/marker's tolerance levels. On balance I'd say that giving a page range is better than omitting page numbers altogether. But if your tutor is paying that much attention to detail, it might cost you in percentages. We have no way of knowing for sure.

Quick Reply

Latest