batteryman1
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I've had 11 driving lessons before this one (22 hours). My instructor took a 10 day break due to illness, so there were 10 days between my 11th and 12th lesson. During my 12th lesson, I made so many mistakes at junctions for eg (my instructor even had to do an emergency stop and take over to drive me to the side roads), I made mistakes at roundabouts, went close to the kerb too many times, has trouble steering at times. Before this lesson though, I was extremely comfortable with driving on main roads, but feel this break really caused me to regress in terms of ability and confidence. My instructor even got angry with me (and he never really has done before), but later told me this wasn't because of me, but was because I regressed so much from quite a good level. At the end of the lesson, I did manage to drive home very comfortably though. I never knew a 10 day break could cause such a regression in my skill/confidence. My instructor did also say that I'm gonna need a lot more lessons now to really master everything, which also knocked me down a bit. So I wanted to ask if this has happened to anyone else, what caused this, and how do I bounce back from this?
Kevin De Bruyne
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I feel like TheonlyMrsHolmes can relate to this :lol:

I think you'll feel deflated for the rest of the day but after that you've got to pick yourself up and use it as motivation.

Instructors can be very Jekyll and Hyde-y. It's noting personal, they do it to everyone if they're given an excuse. Doesn't make t right though!

I guess they develop impatience even if hey don't want to.

Sometimes it can just not be your day and you can make mistakes in a lesson, othertimes everything could be perfect. Just don't let it deter you and carry on as normal, thenmaybe uou will need less time to master everything and this was just a blip.

(Original post by batteryman1)
I've had 11 driving lessons before this one (22 hours). My instructor took a 10 day break due to illness, so there were 10 days between my 11th and 12th lesson. During my 12th lesson, I made so many mistakes at junctions for eg (my instructor even had to do an emergency stop and take over to drive me to the side roads), I made mistakes at roundabouts, went close to the kerb too many times, has trouble steering at times. Before this lesson though, I was extremely comfortable with driving on main roads, but feel this break really caused me to regress in terms of ability and confidence. My instructor even got angry with me (and he never really has done before), but later told me this wasn't because of me, but was because I regressed so much from quite a good level. At the end of the lesson, I did manage to drive home very comfortably though. I never knew a 10 day break could cause such a regression in my skill/confidence. My instructor did also say that I'm gonna need a lot more lessons now to really master everything, which also knocked me down a bit. So I wanted to ask if this has happened to anyone else, what caused this, and how do I bounce back from this?
silverfox44
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
sometimes you have bad days, i've had a few lessons where i've come home and just cried because i felt it went so bad and other times where i've felt really good. it's really just about getting your confidence up. the 10 day break probably didn't help with your confidence, do you have a car you're insured on like a parent's car that you can practise in outside of lessons? i really recommend it as i feel practising outside of lessons with a parent is a lot less stressful and you can relax a bit more than you normally would in lessons!
batteryman1
Rep:
?
(Original post by silverfox44)
sometimes you have bad days, i've had a few lessons where i've come home and just cried because i felt it went so bad and other times where i've felt really good. it's really just about getting your confidence up. the 10 day break probably didn't help with your confidence, do you have a car you're insured on like a parent's car that you can practise in outside of lessons? i really recommend it as i feel practising outside of lessons with a parent is a lot less stressful and you can relax a bit more than you normally would in lessons!
Thanks! For me, it was more anger than being upset, but I get what you mean, as when I was driving home today once the lesson ended, everything felt really comfortable (on the main roads/mini roundabouts etc.), it just the other hour and 55 minutes where my confidence/ability seemed so low. Unfortunately, my mum, dad and brother all drive an automatic car, and I'm learning manual so I'm afraid that could hinder me even more.
batteryman1
Rep:
?
(Original post by SeanFM)
I feel like TheonlyMrsHolmes can relate to this :lol:

I think you'll feel deflated for the rest of the day but after that you've got to pick yourself up and use it as motivation.

Instructors can be very Jekyll and Hyde-y. It's noting personal, they do it to everyone if they're given an excuse. Doesn't make t right though!

I guess they develop impatience even if hey don't want to.

Sometimes it can just not be your day and you can make mistakes in a lesson, othertimes everything could be perfect. Just don't let it deter you and carry on as normal, thenmaybe uou will need less time to master everything and this was just a blip.
Thank you! I definitely feel deflated and frustrated with what happened, and the fact that even my instructor got angry with me frustrates me even more, but you're right, part of me just wants to start my next lesson (which is in a few days) now to get back to where I was, or even better!!
TheonlyMrsHolmes
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Lol I can relate, thanks SeanFM.

My instructor was so angry last week, from the minute I sat in the car and it was my first proper drive around my town. It didn't throw me off too much but today, I kept thinking back to last week and made me feel discouraged when I did roundabouts. I really left my lesson today feeling doubtful as to whether I will ever be able to control my car alone enough to drive.

But, I guess we just can't give up.
batteryman1
Rep:
?
(Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes)
Lol I can relate, thanks SeanFM.

My instructor was so angry last week, from the minute I sat in the car and it was my first proper drive around my town. It didn't throw me off too much but today, I kept thinking back to last week and made me feel discouraged when I did roundabouts. I really left my lesson today feeling doubtful as to whether I will ever be able to control my car alone enough to drive.

But, I guess we just can't give up.
I feel this exact same way!! Will I ever be able to control the car alone? I'm honestly considering switching to automatic, as that's what I'll probably end up driving once I pass anyway.
TheonlyMrsHolmes
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by batteryman1)
I feel this exact same way!! Will I ever be able to control the car alone? I'm honestly considering switching to automatic, as that's what I'll probably end up driving once I pass anyway.
Nooooo don't do that. I mean I know most drive automatic, it's much easier but I've sworn an oath not too because my mum started driving an automatic after 30 years of driving a manual, and ue to the comfortability of an automatoc, she finds manuals extremely difficult to work now. Despite having driven one for a huge part of her life.

Manual cars give you a lot of control if you learn how to control them, which you will once you pass your test.

Look it's only your 11th lesson, it was only my 8th lesson today. I've realised there is no point beating myself up after only 8 hours of practise in a car. If you felt like this after 40 or 50 hours, then there is a real issue there but it's only your 11th!.
batteryman1
Rep:
?
(Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes)
Nooooo don't do that. I mean I know most drive automatic, it's much easier but I've sworn an oath not too because my mum started driving an automatic after 30 years of driving a manual, and ue to the comfortability of an automatoc, she finds manuals extremely difficult to work now. Despite having driven one for a huge part of her life.

Manual cars give you a lot of control if you learn how to control them, which you will once you pass your test.

Look it's only your 11th lesson, it was only my 8th lesson today. I've realised there is no point beating myself up after only 8 hours of practise in a car. If you felt like this after 40 or 50 hours, then there is a real issue there but it's only your 11th!.
I guess you're right, it's my 24th hour now but you are right! I think I just need another hour or so doing some of the basic stuff to get my confidence back, as it seems the basic stuff is what I lost my confidence on (like T and Y junctions)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (125)
28.34%
No - I have already returned home (58)
13.15%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (87)
19.73%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (41)
9.3%
No - I live at home during term anyway (130)
29.48%

Watched Threads