The Student Room Group

RAF Pilot and glasses?

Hi there,

I am interested in joining the RAF and becoming a Pilot.

Just wondering if i would be accepted as i wear glasses, would i if my eyes were up to a certain standard?

If they were would i be able to fly something slower than a jet, a transport for example? Hercules or a Chinook?

Thanks
Reply 1
GR33NY
Hi there,

I am interested in joining the RAF and becoming a Pilot.

Just wondering if i would be accepted as i wear glasses, would i if my eyes were up to a certain standard?

If they were would i be able to fly something slower than a jet, a transport for example? Hercules or a Chinook?

Thanks

In short. No.
Reply 2
As Cathy said.. no you can't. And don't even think about having your eyes lasered to give you 'normal' vision as they are very very wary of people who have had this done and still want to know what your prescription was before you had the lasering done. There are certain limits they will accept for other trades with regards to your prescription level. Call your AFCO for more details. :smile: Pilots need to be the best physical and mental specimens possible... if you don't reach the criteria they have so many people who want to be pilots that they can pick and choose.
Reply 3
icklecathy
In short. No.

I've taught you well, haven't I; sounds like something I would have said....
Reply 4
MATHILDA
As Cathy said.. no you can't. And don't even think about having your eyes lasered to give you 'normal' vision as they are very very wary of people who have had this done and still want to know what your prescription was before you had the lasering done.

In fact, they won't accept you full stop regardless of what you were before.
Reply 5
My dad's a commercial pilot and he wears glasses. But it's probably different for the RAF,
Reply 6
the raf wont take you as a pilot if your eyes arent 20 20 and iwouldnt get your eyes lasered as you might not even get in the forces with it! they reaaly frown on that!
Reply 7
frost105
the raf wont take you as a pilot if your eyes arent 20 20

Thats not true, and it's 6/6 :wink:
Reply 8
Rhys

Heh, I normally strongly favour SI units over Imperial, but I'm still used to 20/20 vision. :rolleyes:
Reply 9
GR33NY

As people have said - no.

Although that isn't the full story. Many, many current pilots fly with glasses at least they do on the Harrier squadron my dad works for. Basically whilst the RAF at least outwardly specific perfect eyesight is essential, if you eye sight fades after even the most basic of training you will be provided with flying specs and that is that - you will not be chucked out.
Reply 10
Rhys

You sure its not 51/51 :P lol.

To get a CPL (I think its CPL or maybe PPL) you can have eye correction of upto 5D summed in both eyes (meaning you could have -2.5D for each eye, or -1.5D and -3.5D for your eyes..etc).

This information may be out of date, but it will give you a rough idea of the requirements.
Reply 11
To join as a pilot, you must have uncorrected (be that by glasses, laser surgery, or whatever) vision that is certainly closer to 6/6 than anything else.

Latest

Trending

Trending