Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

RAF Pilot and glasses? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,

I am interested in joining the RAF and becoming a Pilot.

Just wondering if i would be accepted as i wear glasses, would i if my eyes were up to a certain standard?

If they were would i be able to fly something slower than a jet, a transport for example? Hercules or a Chinook?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GR33NY)
    Hi there,

I am interested in joining the RAF and becoming a Pilot.

Just wondering if i would be accepted as i wear glasses, would i if my eyes were up to a certain standard?

If they were would i be able to fly something slower than a jet, a transport for example? Hercules or a Chinook?

Thanks
    In short. No.

ReputationRep:
    As Cathy said.. no you can't. And don't even think about having your eyes lasered to give you 'normal' vision as they are very very wary of people who have had this done and still want to know what your prescription was before you had the lasering done. There are certain limits they will accept for other trades with regards to your prescription level. Call your AFCO for more details. Pilots need to be the best physical and mental specimens possible... if you don't reach the criteria they have so many people who want to be pilots that they can pick and choose.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by icklecathy)
    In short. No.
    I've taught you well, haven't I; sounds like something I would have said....
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by MATHILDA)
    As Cathy said.. no you can't. And don't even think about having your eyes lasered to give you 'normal' vision as they are very very wary of people who have had this done and still want to know what your prescription was before you had the lasering done.
    In fact, they won't accept you full stop regardless of what you were before.

ReputationRep:
    My dad's a commercial pilot and he wears glasses. But it's probably different for the RAF,

ReputationRep:
    the raf wont take you as a pilot if your eyes arent 20 20 and iwouldnt get your eyes lasered as you might not even get in the forces with it! they reaaly frown on that!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by frost105)
    the raf wont take you as a pilot if your eyes arent 20 20
    Thats not true, and it's 6/6

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rhys)
    Heh, I normally strongly favour SI units over Imperial, but I'm still used to 20/20 vision. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GR33NY)
    As people have said - no.

Although that isn't the full story. Many, many current pilots fly with glasses at least they do on the Harrier squadron my dad works for. Basically whilst the RAF at least outwardly specific perfect eyesight is essential, if you eye sight fades after even the most basic of training you will be provided with flying specs and that is that - you will not be chucked out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rhys)
    You sure its not 51/51 :P lol.

To get a CPL (I think its CPL or maybe PPL) you can have eye correction of upto 5D summed in both eyes (meaning you could have -2.5D for each eye, or -1.5D and -3.5D for your eyes..etc).

This information may be out of date, but it will give you a rough idea of the requirements.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    To join as a pilot, you must have uncorrected (be that by glasses, laser surgery, or whatever) vision that is certainly closer to 6/6 than anything else.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 21, 2004
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.