Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now

What would you negotiate when leaving the EU? Watch

ReputationRep:
    What things would you negotiate with the EU when we leave? What things would you ensure and put into the article 50 bill?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by new1234)
    What things would you negotiate with the EU when we leave? What things would you ensure and put into the article 50 bill?
    The article 50 bill simply says we are leaving and nothing more.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Keeping the European Arrest Warrant
    EU citizens here allowed to stay (and vice-versa)
    No phone roaming charges
    Keep existing agreements on air and train travel
    Tariff free area

ReputationRep:
    More likely to be a bad deal or no deal. It's like being estranged from your parents or spouse.

ReputationRep:
    Continued access to the single market.

ReputationRep:
    No deal we must focus on destroying the EU
    • Very Important Poster

(Original post by niteninja1)
    How do you propose we destroy them?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    How do you propose we destroy them?
    No trade deal with them, create a commonwealth market and set no tarrifs for external and internal members but mimic things like standards
    • Very Important Poster

This is the list in the White Paper. It tells us everything and nothing.

1. Providing certainty and clarity – Imo this is waffle.
    2. Taking control of our own laws – Stating the obvious. We won't be in the EU any more. UK lawyers will have to do a transition and decide which EU law it wants to keep.Quite a lot I think. Control will be our own courts. We will still have to follow EU law for business done n the EU.
    3. Strengthening the union – We will secure a deal that works for the entire UK – for Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland - Waffle imo as they will claim whatever is negotiated achieves this. The union at least with Scotland is pretty wobbly.
    4. Protecting our strong and historic ties with Ireland and maintaining the common travel area – This one is a headache in terms of border.
    5. Controlling immigration – The biggy.They will just change it to people who already have a job. I wouldnt expect numbers to decrease for a while.they will make it more difficult for UK citizens to work in the EU.
    6. Securing rights for EU nationals in the UK- I cant see how it wont be reciprocal. States the obvious.
    7. Protecting workers’ rights – I think we will have had more rights in the EU.
    8. Ensuring free trade with European markets – This is one of the biggies. Whatever is negotiated will be hailed a victory, but it wont be access to the free market on the same terms. the EU cant allow it.
    9. Securing new trade agreements with other countries – I wouldnt be holding our breath. probably commonwealth, but Id be cautious about a US one.
    10. Ensuring the UK remains the best place for science and innovation – Money where there mouth is. Continue current EU collaborations.
    11. Cooperating in the fight against crime and terrorism – This will almost certainly continue- arrest warrants etc.
    12. Delivering a smooth, orderly exit from the EU – Nobody wants a disorderly exit. States the obvious.

So I think its all waffle except for immigration, which we are in control of and can be as restrictive as we want, but the more restrictive it is will be reciprocal and the basis of trade.

The basis of doing trade, which will be heavily influenced by whether we agree to pay an exit fee. This is the absolute big one. Im not overly optimistic as a lot of Euro countries dont care about the UK as they dont trade, but they get to vote. They want money and we dont wish to give. No idea if hey will manage a compromise. I have a feeling the UK wont wish to pay any money v the EU wont be keen to give the UK anything on trade and we can go to WTO terms.

Everything else is just admin sorting out some practical stuff.

No idea what will be done for EU students. maybe lots of bilateral agreements?
    • Very Important Poster

No trade deal with them, create a commonwealth market and set no tarrifs for external and internal members but mimic things like standards
    How does that destroy them?
    You would rather trade with india and Africa?

ReputationRep:
    Who keeps the pets

ReputationRep:
    This could work, it'd be risky and would surely take a hit at first but its an awful idea. While i don't think the EU works for the UK for continental Europe it has done a lot in terms of peace... Merkel has caused huge divisions with her migrant policy but the EU mustn't break up over it and must never make the same mistakes. I think its a work of progress and European integration is far better than European individualism has history has taught us. I think brexit was a wake up call to Europe, and lets be honest France doesnt hold the power to negotiate and influence countries like the UK does, if any country is to succeed out of the EU it could only be the UK imo. Germany is too dependent, France has little int. power and would need strong EU ties, the UK is the only EU country that isn't dependent on the EU. And with our Current terms of trade, we could certainly do with less EU imports

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paul514)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Ahh apologies. What act/bill am I talking about then? As in which act states the deal and negotiations?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KingHarold)
    Keeping the European Arrest Warrant
    EU citizens here allowed to stay (and vice-versa)
    No phone roaming charges
    Keep existing agreements on air and train travel
    Tariff free area
    Yep! Definitely agree. Please could you expand on the European Arrest Warrant and the tariff free area points.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shawn_o1)
    More likely to be a bad deal or no deal. It's like being estranged from your parents or spouse.
    Never heard of alimoney?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shawn_o1)
    Unfortunately this is likely to be true. However I am curious what young people would suggest to make the most of this deal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paul514)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Not necessarily.
    It can say whatever.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SHallowvale)
    Continued access to the single market.
    Yep! 100% agree.

ReputationRep:
    For what reason? If there had to be a deal?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    This is the list in the White Paper. It tells us everything and nothing.

1. Providing certainty and clarity – Imo this is waffle.
    2. Taking control of our own laws – Stating the obvious. We won't be in the EU any more. UK lawyers will have to do a transition and decide which EU law it wants to keep.Quite a lot I think. Control will be our own courts. We will still have to follow EU law for business done n the EU.
    3. Strengthening the union – We will secure a deal that works for the entire UK – for Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland - Waffle imo as they will claim whatever is negotiated achieves this. The union at least with Scotland is pretty wobbly.
    4. Protecting our strong and historic ties with Ireland and maintaining the common travel area – This one is a headache in terms of border.
    5. Controlling immigration – The biggy.They will just change it to people who already have a job. I wouldnt expect numbers to decrease for a while.they will make it more difficult for UK citizens to work in the EU.
    6. Securing rights for EU nationals in the UK- I cant see how it wont be reciprocal. States the obvious.
    7. Protecting workers’ rights – I think we will have had more rights in the EU.
    8. Ensuring free trade with European markets – This is one of the biggies. Whatever is negotiated will be hailed a victory, but it wont be access to the free market on the same terms. the EU cant allow it.
    9. Securing new trade agreements with other countries – I wouldnt be holding our breath. probably commonwealth, but Id be cautious about a US one.
    10. Ensuring the UK remains the best place for science and innovation – Money where there mouth is. Continue current EU collaborations.
    11. Cooperating in the fight against crime and terrorism – This will almost certainly continue- arrest warrants etc.
    12. Delivering a smooth, orderly exit from the EU – Nobody wants a disorderly exit. States the obvious.

So I think its all waffle except for immigration, which we are in control of and can be as restrictive as we want, but the more restrictive it is will be reciprocal and the basis of trade.

The basis of doing trade, which will be heavily influenced by whether we agree to pay an exit fee. This is the absolute big one. Im not overly optimistic as a lot of Euro countries dont care about the UK as they dont trade, but they get to vote. They want money and we dont wish to give. No idea if hey will manage a compromise. I have a feeling the UK wont wish to pay any money v the EU wont be keen to give the UK anything on trade and we can go to WTO terms.

Everything else is just admin sorting out some practical stuff.

No idea what will be done for EU students. maybe lots of bilateral agreements?
    To be honest during the EU referendum there were talks of saving the UK money by leaving the EU and this would give more money to the NHS. Now that the public voted to leave there are talks of a £51 billion exit fee. Says a lot.

Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?
General election 2017 on TSR
Register to vote

Registering to vote?

Check out our guide for everything you need to know

Manifesto snapshots

Manifesto Snapshots

All you need to know about the 2017 party manifestos

Party Leader questions

Party Leader Q&A

Ask political party leaders your questions

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.