The Student Room Group

CGP Gcse Maths grade 9 workbook?

Hey does anyone have this workbook and how good is it for someone aiming for a grade 9? Also is the book available in pdf format?
Original post by confuzzedsoul
Hey does anyone have this workbook and how good is it for someone aiming for a grade 9? Also is the book available in pdf format?

I don't actually have the book but I have the science ones. If you buy the one with an online edition, then you can set up an account for free on their website, type in a code from your book and then you get the workbook online.

If you did buy the book I would definitely get one with past papers in, if they had them. Past papers are so good for maths as learning and practising the technique and method is fine, but you really have to learn to apply that to exam questions. Past papers, obviously, are exam questions so they are so so useful!

The cheapest books with no tests or past papers can probably get you a C/B if used alone. The bigger books, at a stretch an A. But i would definitely suggest using other resources alongside the revision guide
Original post by amberfox264
I don't actually have the book but I have the science ones. If you buy the one with an online edition, then you can set up an account for free on their website, type in a code from your book and then you get the workbook online.

If you did buy the book I would definitely get one with past papers in, if they had them. Past papers are so good for maths as learning and practising the technique and method is fine, but you really have to learn to apply that to exam questions. Past papers, obviously, are exam questions so they are so so useful!

The cheapest books with no tests or past papers can probably get you a C/B if used alone. The bigger books, at a stretch an A. But i would definitely suggest using other resources alongside the revision guide

*5/6 and *7 lol keep forgetting about the new grading system :unimpressed:
Original post by amberfox264

Do you know anybody that does have it
Do you know anybody that does have it

Not that I know of, sorry :frown:
Reply 5
I have the AQA one. There are lots of questions, and hard ones too - even for the simple skills. But make sure you already know the skills - it doesn't give any help in the workbook.

I have a copy. As others have said it does what it says in the book title, it contains a lot of hard exam style style questions for practice and mark scheme style answers that show some of the steps but no explanation of the topics.
If you are doing Edexcel and want to buy a hybrid revision resource and some practice questions then consider these
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Edexcel-Mathematics-Algebra-Workbook-Intervention/dp/0435183370/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1490093394&sr=8-1&keywords=9780435183370
They have explanations of the harder topics but maybe not as many questions as the CGP book.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I have that CGP grade 9 book. Bought it last year for practice even though I was doing the older syllabus. I can tell you now that the questions are very tough compared to anything else I practiced on. I did loads of old GCSE past papers and found that going back a few years they were dead easy. Last few years the standard has gone up, but still nothing like you get in that book. I reckon you'd only get one question on each paper like those.

I will be honest and say that I struggled with some of the questions, but not all. Even if I got a question correct I didn't always lay the working out how they showed in the answers to get full marks. If you struggle with them then I wouldn't worry too much. They are the very top of GCSE standard.
Original post by Darwinion
I reckon you'd only get one question on each paper like those.

our maths teacher told us that most of the paper would be difficult grade 8/9 questions:s-smilie:
Reply 9
Original post by urgurlbecca
our maths teacher told us that most of the paper would be difficult grade 8/9 questions:s-smilie:

Not most of the paper. 50% of the paper will be grades 7-9 questions so you're looking at maybe only a couple of grade 9 questions in each paper.
Original post by urgurlbecca

LOL no way! Imagine the grade boundaries for such a paper. The really tough questions in that book will account for about 2 maximum in the actual papers. The book is ALL grade 9 stuff. I struggled with quite a few of them and I got an A* last year. If you can do just a couple in each section you'll be fine.

I feel for students taking these new exams if only for the fact they have no past papers to work on. Of course you can use the old syllabus papers but some old content has been dropped and new stuff added. It's still worth doing them but they aren't 100% relevant.

Quick Reply

Latest