Why do youths run away from home and where do they go?

Watch
TorpidPhil
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I'm trying to assist the police in my area to better tackle the issue of kids running away from home and not returning, as well as those that do it in the first place as some sort of harsh emotional blackmail on their parents.

Since this is a student forum and a lot of you are younger than 18 I would request your help on behalf of the police!

If you could answer the following questions I will make my own judgment as to which answers are helpful and telling and forward that to the police so that they can prevent this travesty from occurring as much in the future. We all know how vulnerable minors are in many different aspects. And for them to have not have a permanent place of residence and be under the radar so to speak is horrifying. So please help by answering these questions if you can

1) Why do you think young people run away?
2) Who would you call or turn to if you were thinking of running away?
3) What, if anything, would make you re-consider if you were thinking of running away?
4) How could we deliver a message to young people about running away? What communication channels do you pay attention to?
TorpidPhil
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Bump
username1339858_
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
1. If situation at home is sh*t, out in streets could be appealing. So you can imagine how sh*t. What happens behind closed doors, tends to stay behind closed doors.
2. A friend or family member who's secret I am a bearer of. Sorry, blackmail. Or else, no one.
3. Situation being sorted out.
4. I don't know. Social media?

I don't think majority of the people do this as some sort of 'harsh emotional blackmail' on their parents. Many a times its due to survival, a need to get away from home, for whatever reasons.
username3030234
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
trust me sometimes at home the situation can become really :dolphin::dolphin::dolphin::dolphin:, abusive family members and all of that and in the moment u just want to run somewhere alone outside and cry
and sometimes u feel like there ie no one to talk to so u just feel lonely.
I have had family members that used to hit me and can really affect your judgement and make u feel so alone,

omg serious reply from me for once wow.
ForestShadow
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by TorpidPhil)
each case is unique and often many things put together, if we knew exactly, we could help them beforehand and they wouldnt run away...

Im not, need my wifi and food

3) What, if anything, would make you re-consider if you were thinking of running away?
Im not running away but the wifi and food I guess

4) How could we deliver a message to young people about running away? What communication channels do you pay attention to?
For real tho, if theyve gone to the point where theyre seriously planning to run away and have a plan to get away, its probably too late. Convincing them to not run away means massive change in their personal/academic/physical life or changes to their community/bullies/fam, its too little too late, there was a stat on the bbc radio that 80% come back in the first 24hrs and unharmed ....
Moonstruck16
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Anfanny)
For some people it means 5 miles down the road and some countries most people are mentally weak and kill themselves under little pressure. If my Dad hadn't spent so much time lecturing me I would never spot the difference. To me it means another country, and if you play sports you'll think everyone is running away from you. It all depends on the person/culture or country/ and you would need years of experience to have the proper skills to notice all these details.
:dolphin::dolphin::dolphin::dolphin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Moonstruck16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

Because sometimes home life can be too much. Family can be abusive and sometimes the safest option is getting yourself out of that situation.

The person who I care about the most and who cares about me the most. She'd be there if I needed her.

If there was a solution, and my safety isn't a concern.

No idea.

Posted from TSR Mobile
username3108158
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

IDK they might hate life at home and think that they are independent enough to run away.

I wouldn't tell anyone.

Seeing that my parents/ family would really miss me?
4) How could we deliver a message to young people about running away? What communication channels do you pay attention to?[/QUOTE]

IDK the internet? Facebook?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (5)
9.09%
I need help researching courses (5)
9.09%
I need help with filling out the application form (3)
5.45%
I need help with my personal statement (24)
43.64%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (13)
23.64%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (2)
3.64%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (3)
5.45%

Watched Threads