Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

S24: TSR UK outside the European Union Watch

Announcements
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Statement of Intent from the Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs and International Development

A new relationship with Europe: the plan for TSR UK outside the European Union

Secretary of State: Saracen's Fez MP

Mapping out a future for the United Kingdom outside the European Union is undoubtedly a significant task. We are leaving the EU for reasons of convenience in-game, but we must remember that TSRland voted comfortably to remain in the EU. Added to this we must balance the interests and wishes of various regions of the UK, not to mention the various positions of the four Home Nations.

The Strait of Dover remains 21 miles in breadth and the Channel Tunnel has enabled someone in London to take a train to Brussels in a shorter time than they can take a train to Cardiff, Manchester or Leeds. In short, Europe isn't going anywhere and our new relationship needs to reflect that fact, as well as the very significant fact the UK has a land border with the EU in Ireland. It is important to bear in mind that it is somewhat of a stretch to refer to the Northern Ireland-Ireland border as a border between nations, and its legitimacy is questioned by a not insignificant number of people on both sides.

Trade
    This government intends to rejoin the European Free Trade Association (EFTA) following Brexit. This gives us the ability to remain within the European Ecomic Area (EEA) for the time being. In the long term the benefits of remaining in the EEA will be considered, including whether access to the EEA's single market would be better provided by a UK-specific treaty, but for the sake of consistency for businesses and people EEA membership will be retained in the short term at least following Brexit.

As an EFTA member we will not only be able to retain EEA membership (which requires either EU or EFTA membership as a pre-condition), but also negotiate free-trade deals as part of the EFTA bloc, independent of the EU. When a trade deal is negotiated the EFTA negotiation position, unlike that of the EU, is formed by full agreement of all of its members.

Immigration
    As an EEA member, or indeed in the future under a treaty giving full access to the EEA, the UK will be expected to comply with all four freedoms, including the freedom of movement of workers. It must be emphasised that freedom of movement is intended only to allow workers to move between countries, not to allow forms of welfare tourism. The British people will expect, and are right to expect, our immigration policy towards EEA nationals to be firm but fair.

Such a policy is already implemented by states such as Belgium from within both the EU and the Schengen Area, so this should not be of any trouble to implement here. All UK residents regardless of nationality will be required to register with the municipality in which they reside, and will be issued with a residence card. Non-UK nationals who fail to find employment within 3 months of arrival, or within 3 months of leaving employment, will be required to leave the country and will have their residence card rescinded, unless they can prove they have the independent financial means to continue to live in the UK without the financial support of the British state.

The process by which a non-UK national may apply for permanent residency in the UK will remain unchanged. Permanent residents will not be subject to the requirements detailed above.

As the basic principle of free movement of workers will remain unchanged, and the proposals detailed here are fully compatible with EU membership in the short term, the government will pursue its immigration reform independently of the Brexit negotiations.

Ireland
    This government is eager to protect the special status of Ireland and Irish nationals within the UK, as Ireland remains an EU member state for the forseeable future. Irish citizens will continue to enjoy all rights enjoyed by British citizens in the UK, including the full right to reside in the UK and to vote in all elections that their British counterparts do.

Sources
    https://www.regjeringen.no/no/tema/n...ents/id457017/
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    A great SOI from the new foreign secretary; I applaud him for his efforts. I agree personally with all that has been stated, however it will be interesting to see other people's opinions on EEA membership and the following freedom of movement for workers.

ReputationRep:
    Freedom of movement has to end and we need to leave efta
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    The same principles apply to this as what applies to the proposed Northern Ireland crisis in the Crisis Committee. Having TSR on a different constitutional basis to real life is going to be messy, this would include having real life Britain outside the single market but TSR Britain inside the single market where the supremacy of the Court of Justice of the European Union will remain, and the economy of Britain a lot different. I think there are some things in the MHoC that need to be an accurate reflection of real life for ease: the status of Britain with the EU is one of them.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    As per the amendment passed some time ago, we will be members of the EU until we leave in RL.

As for the Statement, we would still still be subject to a foreign court and still constrained by the customs union.

ReputationRep:
    Why the emphasis on joining the EFTA? We could probably make better deals without a FTA. Remember that no tariffs on exports means no tarriffs on imports, and considering the way China is flooding the EU market, I think it's best if we retain the ability to set tariffs on EU imports as appropriate, even if that means having to incur a tarriff on our own exports. FTAs simply remove all flexibility and simply keeps us in an economic union, even if we leave the "social" union.

ReputationRep:
    The main reason people voted for Brexit was immigration, and this bill means borders would remain open. This half-hearted effort would please no-one.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    seems like a good SOI. I applaud the Gov. on their hard work to ensure a smooth Brexit.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    This statement responses in a nutshell:
    Members of the government: *does their job as a yes man*
    The Liberals: this would have us in the EU in all but name, excellent
    Most of the rest: **** the EEA
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    libdemmeme.jpg

ReputationRep:
    Perfect Saracen's Fez
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gladstone1885)
    Perfect Saracen's Fez
    Easy to tell you're a dirty 4nr

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Easy to tell you're a dirty 4nr
    This is actually incredibly encouraging for the TSR Libertarian Party. The best position to be in, in my view, is outside the EU but a member of the EFTA, while retaining the four freedoms and the Government has proposed that herein. Extremely impressed

ReputationRep:
    Aye. This is the best way to ensure we remain entirely democratic, but mitigate the catastrophe that any other post-EU arrangement would cause.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    My right honourable friend the Foreign Secretary demonstrates with this statement not only how well fitted he is to this crucial role in these turbulent times but also this government's commitment to making sure we have a prosperous and united nation after leaving the European Union.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    This is actually incredibly encouraging for the TSR Libertarian Party. The best position to be in, in my view, is outside the EU but a member of the EFTA, while retaining the four freedoms and the Government has proposed that herein. Extremely impressed
    So you take Connor's approach that European protectionism is the way forwards?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    So you take Connor's approach that European protectionism is the way forwards?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I think that's a mischaracterization of his approach, but he's remain and I'm leave, and I'm sure he's pleased with this release
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nigel Farage MEP)
    The same principles apply to this as what applies to the proposed Northern Ireland crisis in the Crisis Committee. Having TSR on a different constitutional basis to real life is going to be messy, this would include having real life Britain outside the single market but TSR Britain inside the single market where the supremacy of the Court of Justice of the European Union will remain, and the economy of Britain a lot different. I think there are some things in the MHoC that need to be an accurate reflection of real life for ease: the status of Britain with the EU is one of them.
    That's a MHoC procedure debate, not a policy one and it's a debate we can have in 2019 imo. For the time being this is the TSR government's policy and we commend it to the House.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    I think that's a mischaracterization of his approach, but he's remain and I'm leave, and I'm sure he's pleased with this release
    He openly said that EU (EEA) membership is less protectionist than a post brexit Britain despite all those tariffs and rules to keep non European goods outside of the EEA as much as possible

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    He openly said that EU (EEA) membership is less protectionist than a post brexit Britain despite all those tariffs and rules to keep non European goods outside of the EEA as much as possible

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I disagree. Being outside the EU allows us to negotiate deals with the rest of the world and not be bound by their silly regulations

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.