The Student Room Group

Do you feel guilty for downloading free stuff?

I think most of us have done it and most of us know that downloading is said to be stealing, unless you pay for it ofc.

Tbh, you save money and those people who created the content get their earnings through advertising and touring anyway. And doesn't the artist gain free publicity when you share the song/movie/book with others anyway?

IMG_3531.JPG

Scroll to see replies

The end of the day, I'm too poor to afford any of those films or tv shows to watch so I feel almost forced to do it
Reply 2
Nope! Unless its good music, then i have to buy it.. but with Apple Music now, i only buy physical albums if I'm gonna buy music
I've never felt bad and will continue to never feel bad
No, idc about the moral side of it when it comes to large artists/studios/tv shows.
If it's small indie bands or games however, i'll buy them.
Wait a minute, if it's free then why would you feel guilty?
Reply 6
Original post by TheGoodPharaoh
Wait a minute, if it's free then why would you feel guilty?

Because it's illegal.
Original post by coupdetat123
>tfw pirated the entire adobe creative cloud package

:smug:

how tf did you do that omg dm me
Original post by StudentUser2405
how tf did you do that omg dm me

I'm afraid I can't expose my trade secrets
Original post by EC
Because it's illegal.

Illegal shmegal
Never heard of the 11th commandment, thou shall not pirate files?
A better way to look at it is to consider what you're doing as stealing a portion of the production costs.
Yeah! I downloaded a few song by The Beatles and put them onto a CD (never mind the copyright involved) I felt bad for ripping off The Beatles! So I binned the disk and bought the official album.
catalina is the type of girl to download free stuff and apologise to owners
Reply 14
Original post by coupdetat123
>tfw pirated the entire adobe creative cloud package

:smug:

WOW.

My only remarkable achievements would be sims and gta.
No, they're rich enough as it is. I could understand if it was someone poor but no I don't feel bad.
As already said they are rich as ****. Piracy hardly harms profits, especially for films which seem to make most of their money back at the box office.

I don't actually pirate anything since limewire closed, I stream everything. Which is completely legal.
Reply 17
Original post by l'etranger
A better way to look at it is to consider what you're doing as stealing a portion of the production costs.

How so?
Original post by EC
How so?

Modern music and advanced software packages have huge production costs, sometimes in the millions and in theory the cost of that is divided between each person who legitimately buys a copy of the intellectual property so there is a tangible cost associated with illegal downloads. If you want to do it it's fine, I don't care at all, but you are basically a thief.
Yes, i do.it's theft. would you go in a store and steal a loaf of bread? same concept. if a person is selling honestly, people should buy honestly.

Quick Reply

Latest