Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

Best Place to study Geology Watch

ReputationRep:
    I am very interested in geology after taking it for A-level and am hoping to in future take a degree in the subject. I am particularly interested in paleo biology and geological oceanography. My choices for A levels are biology geography and geology. Does anyone know the best place to study these specific fields or even if not the best university to study geology ?

ReputationRep:
    Southampton is great for oceanography

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tomonslow)
    I am very interested in geology after taking it for A-level and am hoping to in future take a degree in the subject. I am particularly interested in paleo biology and geological oceanography. My choices for A levels are biology geography and geology. Does anyone know the best place to study these specific fields or even if not the best university to study geology ?
    Oxford and Imperial spring into mind.

ReputationRep:
    Bristol is great for geology, and also offers a palaeontology and evolution course, although I don't know how much oceanography you would be able to study within that. Likewise with Birmingham, who also offer a specific paleo course. Other places to look at include Durham, UCL and St Andrews. I'd also second Southampton, they are known for their oceanography. Take a look at the different modules that each course contains, and what options you can choose within the course.

(Original post by yl95)
    Oxford and Imperial spring into mind.
    Unfortunately, OP's A-Level subjects don't meet the entrance requirements for Oxford (maths and chemistry or physics).

ReputationRep:
    Leicester also have a 'with palaeo' degree and a very strong palaeo research group, also offer a module in ocean systems Southampton do (or used to) an oceanography degree, but I'm not sure how palaeo focussed their department is.

If you can, I'd recommend taking AS Maths if it's possible? Not necessary, you'll manage without it, but it will be easier to do some of the maths in geology if you don't have to revise your GCSE notes every time!

ReputationRep:
    With those A Levels you are unfortunately not going to be able to apply to Oxford (and probably not Cambridge, although I'm not 100% sure about that) without Mathematics (which, if you are still at all able to take, I would definitely recommend that you do). A non-exhaustive list of other universities that are strong in Earth Sciences is Imperial, UCL, Bristol, Southampton, Durham, Edinburgh, Leeds, St Andrews, and so on. There are going to be opportunities for palaeobiology and geological oceanography in all of these places, but Southampton certainly has a well established reputation for oceanography, and Bristol does a lot with palaeobiology.

Poll
Still A Remainer Or A Brexiteer?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.