Want to do computer science but school doesn't offer it - any options?

Watch this thread
arxolol
Badges: 6
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi, I'm currently choosing my options for GCSEs, and I'd really like to do computer science but my school doesn't offer it as an option. We don't even have ICT this year - O_O

I've done Python in my own time and have attended some courses outside of school such as the ones at the Metropolitan University. My question is, where can I find study materials and where can I take the exam for computer science? What languages should I be able to program in for the exam, etc??

Thank you very much - this is my first post here so sorry if I'm doing something wrong ^_^

P.S On a side note, one of my teachers told me that iGCSES are going to stick with the old F-A* marking system - is this true?
rickH123
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 5 years ago
Your best choice is to do the exam as a external candidate, however you may be required to pay the school. Problem is this effects coursework. And yes, iGCSE is still on the old U-A* system.
arxolol
Badges: 6
Rep:
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I don't think they do external candidate exams sadly, but thanks for trying to help.
Rii.M
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
Hey I'm taking OCR Computer Science this year and it's the last year our current spec is being run. I can't speak for other exam boards but with OCR we currently do 2 controlled assessments weighted at 30% each and 1 written exam worth 40%. This is changing to 2 written exams weighted at 40% and one controlled assessment at 20%, a significant decrease in the actual programming (you will still have to learn it).

I am sure that you are capable of getting great grades in the written assessments no matter what exam board you want to do, and if you can find a place to do the CA you should go for it if you think you will be able to manage the workload. For the first CA we did, we had to self teach ourselves a bit of Java Script and HTML to do some tasks and for the second, it was in a language of your choice (I used Python) and you basically had to do more tasks. In our actual written exam, we only need to know pseudo code (not sure if it's the same with other boards.)

Computer science is a fun course if you are interested in the subject. However, you should also note that if you want to do computing in the future, you don't need to take it at GCSE or A-level, most universities ask for strong maths grades for computing as they are aware not all schools offer the subject.

Good luck with whatever you do
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (7)
21.21%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (3)
9.09%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (4)
12.12%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (3)
9.09%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (7)
21.21%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (9)
27.27%

Watched Threads