Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

GCSE Edexcel Maths 9-1 Calculator Watch

ReputationRep:
    Good Evening,

Are you allowed to use a graphical calculator in the new 9-1 GCSE? I am doing GCSE Further Maths and A-Level Maths as well and have been told that a graphical calculator is beneficial for both these qualifications. Henceforth, I wish to buy a calculator of which I can use for both qualifications now and prevent the hassle of buying one again for A-Level.

Is the following allowed at GCSE and A-Level:
    http://www.casio.co.uk/products/calc...=FX-CG20-LA-EH

Also, are either this:
    http://www.casio.co.uk/products/calc...-9860GII-LD-EH
    or this:
    http://www.casio.co.uk/products/calc...-9750GII-LC-UH
    allowed and which would you reccomend.

Or is the Casio FX 991-ES okay for both?

Sorry for all the questions!

Thanks so much to any responses.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StudentLincoln)
    Good Evening,

Are you allowed to use a graphical calculator in the new 9-1 GCSE? I am doing GCSE Further Maths and A-Level Maths as well and have been told that a graphical calculator is beneficial for both these qualifications. Henceforth, I wish to buy a calculator of which I can use for both qualifications now and prevent the hassle of buying one again for A-Level.

Is the following allowed at GCSE and A-Level:
    http://www.casio.co.uk/products/calc...=FX-CG20-LA-EH

Also, are either this:
    http://www.casio.co.uk/products/calc...-9860GII-LD-EH
    or this:
    http://www.casio.co.uk/products/calc...-9750GII-LC-UH
    allowed and which would you reccomend.

Or is the Casio FX 991-ES okay for both?

Sorry for all the questions!

Thanks so much to any responses.
    All of the calculators that you mentioned are allowed for GCSE and A Level. I don't know much about those graphics calculators so I can't help you with a recommendation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by notnek)
    All of the calculators that you mentioned are allowed for GCSE and A Level. I don't know much about those graphics calculators so I can't help you with a recommendation.
    Okay. Thanks for your help. :-)

The only thing it I'm not sure whether or not to get a graphical one for GCSE. Would it be overkill? Would I use the features?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Okay,
    So anything programmable is not allowed.

I have used a Casio fx-991ES PLUS and it is a beauty
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Okay. Thanks for your help. :-)

The only thing it I'm not sure whether or not to get a graphical one for GCSE. Would it be overkill? Would I use the features?
    I think it is overkill for GCSE - you won't be using it much. For the reformed A Level, getting a graphical calculator is a good idea since a lot of textbooks/teachers will use them. But a graphical calculator is not required for A Level exams.

ReputationRep:
    I think it is overkill for GCSE - you won't be using it much. For the reformed A Level, getting a graphical calculator is a good idea since a lot of textbooks/teachers will use them. But a graphical calculator is not required for A Level exams.
    Thanks for the help everyone. What advantages would I feel if I did get a graphical one for GCSE? What features are unique to the graphical calculators? I'm definitely using a graphical one for A-Level now, I've decided. It's just which one and whether to get a new one for GCSE too. For example the FX-991ES PLUS
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    For GCSE it was, but i bought it early for some unknown reason -_-

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JD2015AS)
    For GCSE it was, but i bought it early for some unknown reason -_-
    Did you find yourself using any feature unique to graphical calculators JD2015AS?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the help everyone. What advantages would I feel if I did get a graphical one for GCSE? What features are unique to the graphical calculators? I'm definitely using a graphical one for A-Level now, I've decided. It's just which one and whether to get a new one for GCSE too. For example the FX-991ES PLUS
    There won't be any advantage for GCSE.

the FX-991ES is a good calculator to have for GCSE and A Level. At GCSE you can use it to solve quadratic equations so you can check answers in the exam. Apart from that, there aren't really any other benefits compared to a cheaper Casio at GCSE.

At A Level it can be used to numerically solve summations, integrals and derivatives so again you can check your answers. And the graphical calculators will also do this.

ReputationRep:
    There won't be any advantage for GCSE.

the FX-991ES is a good calculator to have for GCSE and A Level. At GCSE you can use it to solve quadratic equations so you can check answers in the exam. Apart from that, there aren't really any other benefits compared to a cheaper Casio at GCSE.

At A Level it can be used to numerically solve summations, integrals and derivatives so again you can check your answers. And the graphical calculators will also do this.
    Thanks notnek. So what's the difference beteeen the FX991EX and a graphical model like FX-CG20?

What do you refcoment I do?

Sorry for so many questions
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Thanks notnek. So what's the difference beteeen the FX991EX and a graphical model like FX-CG20?

What do you refcoment I do?

Sorry for so many questions
    The FX-CG20 is graphical so it will plot graphs - that's the main difference. Sorry if this sounds obvious

ReputationRep:
    The FX-CG20 is graphical so it will plot graphs - that's the main difference. Sorry if this sounds obvious
    Duh? Stupid me. Obviously. :-). I take it that's the only advantage.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Did you find yourself using any feature unique to graphical calculators JD2015AS?
    notnek pretty much outlined my reasoning tbh

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for al, your help guys. I've decided to go for the FX991ES now and then a graphical one for A-Level. (In the event you haven't got bored of me and blocked me) Thanks

Update: I went for the Casio FX-991-EX CLASSWIZ in the end

Poll
How are you feeling about your A-level results?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.