Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

Miserable and making no progress with A Levels? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm stuck and I really don't know what to do.

I'm currently in Year 12 studying Biology, Chemistry and Geology at a sixth form college, and no matter how hard I work I'm not making any progress with my subjects and I just keep failing? GCSEs for me were fine and i did well, but no matter what I try for these subjects I just fail every exam - I think it's because I'm struggling to remember the amount of content and the fact that the exams are more applied learning? My head just doesn't seem to work in that way.

I'm genuinely dedicating all of my time to trying to pass because I was really hopeful of studying Zoology at university, but for that I need 3 A's. That's been something I've always wanted to do, but now it just seems like regardless of the effort I'm putting in and how hard I'm willing to try, I'm just not going to get there.

What are my options? Do I have any? I'm genuinely so miserable nowadays with all of this and I really don't know what to do. I have 3 mocks all on Monday and I've been so busy trying to catch up (I was off college for 3 weeks with Quinsy back in February) that I don't have time to revise, and then after that my real exams start.

Part of me wants to drop out at the soonest chance I get because I'm so stressed and miserable now, and the other part of me hates the fact that if I do, I won't be able to do the course I want in university, which also makes me so upset to think about because of how hard I've been working these past few years.

I really don't know what to do

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xMiakatx)
    I'm stuck and I really don't know what to do.

I'm currently in Year 12 studying Biology, Chemistry and Geology at a sixth form college, and no matter how hard I work I'm not making any progress with my subjects and I just keep failing? GCSEs for me were fine and i did well, but no matter what I try for these subjects I just fail every exam - I think it's because I'm struggling to remember the amount of content and the fact that the exams are more applied learning? My head just doesn't seem to work in that way.

I'm genuinely dedicating all of my time to trying to pass because I was really hopeful of studying Zoology at university, but for that I need 3 A's. That's been something I've always wanted to do, but now it just seems like regardless of the effort I'm putting in and how hard I'm willing to try, I'm just not going to get there.

What are my options? Do I have any? I'm genuinely so miserable nowadays with all of this and I really don't know what to do. I have 3 mocks all on Monday and I've been so busy trying to catch up (I was off college for 3 weeks with Quinsy back in February) that I don't have time to revise, and then after that my real exams start.

Part of me wants to drop out at the soonest chance I get because I'm so stressed and miserable now, and the other part of me hates the fact that if I do, I won't be able to do the course I want in university, which also makes me so upset to think about because of how hard I've been working these past few years.

I really don't know what to do
    Although it's easier said than done, try to keep things in perspective. A-levels and uni are important, but it's never worth sacrificing your overall happiness and becoming miserable over them.

What in particular are you struggling with in Biology and Chemistry ( I'm not doing psychology so can;t really help there, sorry)? Is it the difficultly or volume of content which is the problem?

ReputationRep:
    Take a break. Get your head together and look after yourself. I've been in your situation, I got E and U grades literally all throughout my AS year and came out with AABB. It can be done, but I completely relate. Find the best way you learn. If there's anything you haven't tried yet, online videos, a different textbook, online resources, try it. I take it you're doing past papers? Focus on the questions you get wrong, look at the markscheme and do them again a week or two later. Also, the examiner's reports are golden.

One of my friends is trying to get into Zoology, I can't remember what exact degree he did, but that was in Hong Kong and he's since been working in various zoos, literally looking after penguins and stuff, my point being there's other ways into the field than specifically a Zoology degree. I'm sure there's courses less than AAA that would do. Look past the course name. Lots of Biology degrees can actually be Zoology degrees if you choose the right modules, eg, at Durham, where the Zoology degree was absorbed into the Biology degree, but you can still choose the same modules. (Although that course is AAA, but we are talking about Durham.)

Just do all you can, and if you don't get AAA, well, Bristol is AAB (or ABB contextual), Southampton is AAB, Exeter is AAB-ABB, Swansea ABB-BBB, etc. You don't need AAA? Even if you missed all of your offers, and that's a long way in the future, then you could go into something called UCAS adjustment and still get a place somewhere. Chill, eat some chocolate or something, and go back to the revision papers. (You'll find you can actually get away with missing a fair bit of content if you can answer the most common types of questions that come up.)

^^ I hope something in there might be useful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dragonzrmetal)
    Take a break. Get your head together and look after yourself. I've been in your situation, I got E and U grades literally all throughout my AS year and came out with AABB. It can be done, but I completely relate. Find the best way you learn. If there's anything you haven't tried yet, online videos, a different textbook, online resources, try it. I take it you're doing past papers? Focus on the questions you get wrong, look at the markscheme and do them again a week or two later. Also, the examiner's reports are golden.

One of my friends is trying to get into Zoology, I can't remember what exact degree he did, but that was in Hong Kong and he's since been working in various zoos, literally looking after penguins and stuff, my point being there's other ways into the field than specifically a Zoology degree. I'm sure there's courses less than AAA that would do. Look past the course name. Lots of Biology degrees can actually be Zoology degrees if you choose the right modules, eg, at Durham, where the Zoology degree was absorbed into the Biology degree, but you can still choose the same modules. (Although that course is AAA, but we are talking about Durham.)

Just do all you can, and if you don't get AAA, well, Bristol is AAB (or ABB contextual), Southampton is AAB, Exeter is AAB-ABB, Swansea ABB-BBB, etc. You don't need AAA? Even if you missed all of your offers, and that's a long way in the future, then you could go into something called UCAS adjustment and still get a place somewhere. Chill, eat some chocolate or something, and go back to the revision papers. (You'll find you can actually get away with missing a fair bit of content if you can answer the most common types of questions that come up.)

^^ I hope something in there might be useful.
    What subjects are were you doing for AS and A2?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MajorFader)
    What subjects are were you doing for AS and A2?
    Year 1:
    AS Computer Science (A), Maths (A), Further Maths (B), Physics (B)
    Year 2:
    AS Additional Further Maths (self taught)
    EPQ
    A2 Physics, Maths, Further Maths

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dragonzrmetal)
    Year 1:
    AS Computer Science (A), Maths (A), Further Maths (B), Physics (B)
    Year 2:
    AS Additional Further Maths (self taught)
    EPQ
    A2 Physics, Maths, Further Maths
    At least I know here is hope, I just got an E and a D for C2 and S1 respectively. Lack of revision well done! You were probably really determined. When did you start your revision?

ReputationRep:
    What exam board for chemistry/biology?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MajorFader)
    At least I know here is hope, I just got an E and a D for C2 and S1 respectively. Lack of revision well done! You were probably really determined. When did you start your revision?
    I got a U in both of my maths mocks - that's nothing to worry about!

Started after Easter break - but don't recommend leaving it that late! ;P

Might have been a bit determined. Realisation dawned at some point, I wanted to get a Cambridge or Imperial offer, which was quite ludicrous at the time. I came in early to college every day, 7-30 when it opens, and left at 5-30 when it closes, from about that point until exams, and covered as many past papers as possible. I also had the help of someone who helped me learn a lot of stuff - I had to learn the syllabi largely from scratch as I'd remembered so little. I couldn't even do long division. I didn't get factor theorem, or binomial, none of it.

Yeah, there's hope, so get to it, and good luck! For maths, past papers really are the law, and make sure you look at each and every question where you lost marks. ExamSolutions is also gold.

Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.