Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now

Worried about Brexit Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,
    I just heard that the PM will be invoking Article 50 next Wednesday and the negotiations will begin, this has worried me as, although I have lived in the UK for over 17 years (I am 19 years old now), I am yet to start University and my degree is 4 years, so i am worried that something may happen that will stop me from continuing my education and applying for a UK Citizenship costs far too much for my family to afford right now, does anyone know the details on how EU nationals living in the UK will be affected ?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AHJ)
    Hey guys,
    I just heard that the PM will be invoking Article 50 next Wednesday and the negotiations will begin, this has worried me as, although I have lived in the UK for over 17 years (I am 19 years old now), I am yet to start University and my degree is 4 years, so i am worried that something may happen that will stop me from continuing my education and applying for a UK Citizenship costs far too much for my family to afford right now, does anyone know the details on how EU nationals living in the UK will be affected ?

Thanks
    Although it's not been revealed personally my Theresa May, it's believed EU citizens residing in the UK will be allowed to remain in the UK. I don't think you have anything to worry about

ReputationRep:
    Whats the point of being worried? Just deal with what ever happens when it happens. Live day by day. Not like you can change it
    • Very Important Poster

(Original post by AHJ)
    Hey guys,

Thanks
    1. The Brexit negotiations are likely to take 2 years before we leave the EU. That means you might have started Uni by then in which case funding will be preserved throughout the degree.

2. Its likely any agreements will be phased in.

3. It highly likely (almost certain) that EU citizens living in the UK at the time of either the referendum or immediately before Brexit will have their rights protected as they are now.

Imo you have nothing to worry about.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AHJ)
    Hey guys,

Thanks
    If you start before we actually leave then no worries.

Also you already qualify to be a uk citizen you just have to fill out the forms etc like most eu nationals here

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AishaGirl)
    Although it's not been revealed personally my Theresa May, it's believed EU citizens residing in the UK will be allowed to remain in the UK. I don't think you have anything to worry about
    She has adamantly said she will ensure EU citizens rights in the UK, that is why when such a measure was added as an amendment to the Brexit bill she and the rest of her party vehemently opposed such a measure, because, well, reasons?!?!?!?
    • Very Important Poster

(Original post by mojojojo101)
    She has adamantly said she will ensure EU citizens rights in the UK, that is why when such a measure was added as an amendment to the Brexit bill she and the rest of her party vehemently opposed such a measure, because, well, reasons?!?!?!?
    Because the line is its a negotiating tool and they also want to make sure UK citizens living in the EU are also protected. Confirming the rights of EU citizens before the reciprocal rights are confirmed is a loss of bargaining position. It will be part of the overall package.

ReputationRep:
    Oh I wasn't aware she actually confirmed it. Well then that answers the OP's question. The reason she won't kick them out is because those people may be in the middle on their education, how families here, undergoing medical treatment or whatever. Rightly so as well.

Even Trump isn't kicking out people who came from Mexico legally or immigrants from the middle east so why on Earth would you think for a second that Theresa May would kick out EU citizens who are here legally?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AishaGirl)
    Oh I wasn't aware she actually confirmed it. Well then that answers the OP's question. The reason she won't kick them out is because those people may be in the middle on their education, how families here, undergoing medical treatment or whatever. Rightly so as well.

Even Trump isn't kicking out people who came from Mexico legally or immigrants from the middle east so why on Earth would you think for a second that Theresa May would kick out EU citizens who are here legally?
    To clarify, she hasn't confirmed anything. She was given an opportunity to legally protect EU citizens and she actively worked to prevent that being that case. That is despite her rhetoric about the exact opposite.

If I was an EU citizen in the UK I wouldn't be worried per se, but I would be concerned about the Tories incompetence generally and Theresa May's need to fight things just because she can.

ReputationRep:
    To clarify, she hasn't confirmed anything. She was given an opportunity to legally protect EU citizens and she actively worked to prevent that being that case. That is despite her rhetoric about the exact opposite.

If I was an EU citizen in the UK I wouldn't be worried per se, but I would be concerned about the Tories incompetence generally and Theresa May's need to fight things just because she can.
    I don't think she will evict them, that would be the single fastest way to get the worst deal humanly possible from brexit.

Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?
General election 2017 on TSR
Register to vote

Registering to vote?

Check out our guide for everything you need to know

Manifesto snapshots

Manifesto Snapshots

All you need to know about the 2017 party manifestos

Party Leader questions

Party Leader Q&A

Ask political party leaders your questions

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.