Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone here study this course? What is it like?

Also anyone planning on applying to this course? Why did you choose this over computer science?

ReputationRep:
    Yea I applied for this course to start this year, I choose it because well looking at other courses such as computer science it was all mostly theory based. This course is basically all piratical and hardly no exams. The course looks to be like a simulation of a real work place environment instead of sitting and reading books all day trying to memorize stuff.

ReputationRep:
    My housemate studies it and he spends 3 days a week in an office in Newport working with clients.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThePhoenixLament)
    My housemate studies it and he spends 3 days a week in an office in Newport working with clients.
    Does he have any negatives or positives about the course?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by John10101)
    Does he have any negatives or positives about the course?
    Ok so in his words:

Positives
    • The best part was the practical nature
    • It's super hands-on
    • Real work experience with real clients developing real projects
    • Networking is brilliant, meeting with potential employers and placements gives you a jump ahead of all the CompSci grads
    • Lecturers are generally good

Negatives
    • The course is still in its infancy so organisation can be atrocious. However he was in the very first year of the course so this is probably more extreme in his case

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThePhoenixLament)
    Ok so in his words:

Positives
    • The best part was the practical nature
    • It's super hands-on
    • Real work experience with real clients developing real projects
    • Networking is brilliant, meeting with potential employers and placements gives you a jump ahead of all the CompSci grads
    • Lecturers are generally good

Negatives
    • The course is still in its infancy so organisation can be atrocious. However he was in the very first year of the course so this is probably more extreme in his case
    Thank you, really appreciate you asking him

ReputationRep:
    Hey Guys,

I am currently going into my second year studying this course, if anyone has any further questions about it, feel free to ask.

Best regards,

Jamie Highfield

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamiehighfield)
    Hey Guys,

I am currently going into my second year studying this course, if anyone has any further questions about it, feel free to ask.

Best regards,

Jamie Highfield
    Hello, do you have any advice on any books i should get or programming languages i should look at before starting?
    or any other advice would be welcome.
    thanks

ReputationRep:
    Hey Guys,

Best regards,

Jamie Highfield
    1) Does everyone get a scholarship if they qualify for it?
    2) Do you get free train passes to go to Newport?
    3) What is the time table like is it 3 continuous days or spread across the week?
    4) Is the first year teaching basics of JS and Java and is there anything people should prepare for before going there?
    5) Do you enjoy the course so far?

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,

Languages:

So, for the course itself, I would recommend taking a look at Java and the JetBrains IntelliJ IDE. Also take a look at Python and basic front-end web development.

Outside of the course, just as a general software engineer and computer scientist, I would strongly recommend learning the C# programming language and the Visual Studio IDE as it is, in my opinion, an invaluable language and IDE to know. I've been doing it for about 8 years now and am a very strong advocate for the language and IDE. This isn't a language nor is it an IDE that you will learn on the course, at least in year 1.

You could also look up Agile and Scrum as software development techniques. But in terms of which books to read, I would say the Internet will suffice; however, they do assume no prior knowledge, so don't worry too much.

Days of Contact Sessions:

The National Software Academy is based at a business centre operated by Innovation Point, next to the railway line. We will be moving to a new building, the other side of the railway line over the next year; however, you will be told about this is more detail over the next year (and I think it is mentioned somewhere on Google).

We are moving because of the small space currently available, and therefore, contact sessions will be on different days dependent upon year. Year one will have contact sessions on Monday, Tuesday and Thursday 10:00 - 16:00 to the best of my knowledge - but all of this will be confirmed to you in writing over the coming weeks.

Scholarship

If you qualify for it, you will get it - you will wake up one morning with it in your bank account! Same goes for the bursary, if you qualify for it. You won't have to apply for it unless you are told otherwise (** at least that's what is was for me, it might be different this year so do formally enquire).

Travel Expenses

You get the equivalent of what ever a 9 month National Rail season ticket costs. For the 2016-17 academic year, this was £656.70, but with inflation, this will probably have gone up for this year. You don't have to use this for the train, you could use it for driving or getting the bus; for example - that's up to you to decide, but most people get the train because of the convenience. You will get a cheque for this on your induction day.

Do I enjoy the course?

Yes, it's a new course, so things do change from year to year until they can get it right, but I couldn't recommend it more none the less. Amazing lecturers and atmosphere to work in.

Any advice?

The nature of the course means that it is very easy to network and make connections. My advice is to get yourself on LinkedIn and start making these connections, because they can prove invaluable when applying for summer internships and future jobs - it has for me. And have a look at the programming languages I mentioned above.

Hope this helps,

Any more questions, let me know.

Jamie

ReputationRep:
    Not OP, but thanks for posting this. I am starting this course in September and am really looking forward to it!

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,

Languages:

So, for the course itself, I would recommend taking a look at Java and the JetBrains IntelliJ IDE. Also take a look at Python and basic front-end web development.

Outside of the course, just as a general software engineer and computer scientist, I would strongly recommend learning the C# programming language and the Visual Studio IDE as it is, in my opinion, an invaluable language and IDE to know. I've been doing it for about 8 years now and am a very strong advocate for the language and IDE. This isn't a language nor is it an IDE that you will learn on the course, at least in year 1.

You could also look up Agile and Scrum as software development techniques. But in terms of which books to read, I would say the Internet will suffice; however, they do assume no prior knowledge, so don't worry too much.

Days of Contact Sessions:

The National Software Academy is based at a business centre operated by Innovation Point, next to the railway line. We will be moving to a new building, the other side of the railway line over the next year; however, you will be told about this is more detail over the next year (and I think it is mentioned somewhere on Google).

We are moving because of the small space currently available, and therefore, contact sessions will be on different days dependent upon year. Year one will have contact sessions on Monday, Tuesday and Thursday 10:00 - 16:00 to the best of my knowledge - but all of this will be confirmed to you in writing over the coming weeks.

Scholarship

If you qualify for it, you will get it - you will wake up one morning with it in your bank account! Same goes for the bursary, if you qualify for it. You won't have to apply for it unless you are told otherwise (** at least that's what is was for me, it might be different this year so do formally enquire).

Travel Expenses

You get the equivalent of what ever a 9 month National Rail season ticket costs. For the 2016-17 academic year, this was £656.70, but with inflation, this will probably have gone up for this year. You don't have to use this for the train, you could use it for driving or getting the bus; for example - that's up to you to decide, but most people get the train because of the convenience. You will get a cheque for this on your induction day.

Do I enjoy the course?

Yes, it's a new course, so things do change from year to year until they can get it right, but I couldn't recommend it more none the less. Amazing lecturers and atmosphere to work in.

Any advice?

The nature of the course means that it is very easy to network and make connections. My advice is to get yourself on LinkedIn and start making these connections, because they can prove invaluable when applying for summer internships and future jobs - it has for me. And have a look at the programming languages I mentioned above.

Hope this helps,

Any more questions, let me know.

Jamie
    Thanks for the info! Just to check something the languages to learn are Java and python no JavaScript there or just very little? Also how hard are the exams? Which language would you use the most in the year?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by John10101)
    Thanks for the info! Just to check something the languages to learn are Java and python no JavaScript there or just very little? Also how hard are the exams? Which language would you use the most in the year?
    Hi,

So the structure of the course is here http://www.cardiff.ac.uk/study/under...ngineering-bsc

We did Java/Android (which is Java), Python I would say as our main languages in first year. We also did a web development module, but this encompassed multiple languages, including JS, HTML, CSS etc.

And the exams are as easy as you make them - put the work and revision in, and you'll do fine! It's mostly coursework based anyway, so there aren't that many exams.

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.