Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

Applied Software Engineering

University Navigation

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone here study this course? What is it like?

Also anyone planning on applying to this course? Why did you choose this over computer science?

ReputationRep:
    Yea I applied for this course to start this year, I choose it because well looking at other courses such as computer science it was all mostly theory based. This course is basically all piratical and hardly no exams. The course looks to be like a simulation of a real work place environment instead of sitting and reading books all day trying to memorize stuff.

ReputationRep:
    My housemate studies it and he spends 3 days a week in an office in Newport working with clients.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThePhoenixLament)
    My housemate studies it and he spends 3 days a week in an office in Newport working with clients.
    Does he have any negatives or positives about the course?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by John10101)
    Does he have any negatives or positives about the course?
    Ok so in his words:

Positives
    • The best part was the practical nature
    • It's super hands-on
    • Real work experience with real clients developing real projects
    • Networking is brilliant, meeting with potential employers and placements gives you a jump ahead of all the CompSci grads
    • Lecturers are generally good

Negatives
    • The course is still in its infancy so organisation can be atrocious. However he was in the very first year of the course so this is probably more extreme in his case

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThePhoenixLament)
    Ok so in his words:

Positives
    • The best part was the practical nature
    • It's super hands-on
    • Real work experience with real clients developing real projects
    • Networking is brilliant, meeting with potential employers and placements gives you a jump ahead of all the CompSci grads
    • Lecturers are generally good

Negatives
    • The course is still in its infancy so organisation can be atrocious. However he was in the very first year of the course so this is probably more extreme in his case
    Thank you, really appreciate you asking him

Poll
Do you have exam superstitions?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.