Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

Is OU study worth the potential loneliness? Watch

University Navigation

ReputationRep:
    Greetings!

I'm in a bit of a dilemma and would appreciate some honest replies. I'm torn between studying the perfect course for me with the Open University or studying an undergraduate degree course with Worcester University which includes just some elements of what I consider to be my perfect course.

The obvious choice would be to study my dream degree with the OU however, I yearn to be back in a learning environment where I can meet new and likeminded people. I did an apprenticeship and have recently had a child, both of which have made me feel quite isolated. Many of my friends have moved away to university and I'm worried that this may be my last chance to experience it myself and that I could potentially miss out through studying with the OU?

Has anyone else been in a similar situation or have any advice that could help?

Thank you

ReputationRep:
    Hey, young OU student here! Really, it depends on how much you value the social interaction, learning environment, and where else you can get either from. You have access to Uni libraries as an OU student - which may help with the environment, and there's meetups for students fairly regularly, alongside a variety of Facebook groups. I'd definitely recommend also picking up volunteering or a hobby in a social environment if you need that interaction and decide to go with the OU, though.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your reply stripystockings! I've gone for it and applied for the OU course 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by princess-castiel)
    Thanks for your reply stripystockings! I've gone for it and applied for the OU course 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
    No problem! A couple other tips are to find the right study environment for you and for different situations (general studying vs assignment week vs when you feel stuck, for example). I go to a different coffee shop depending on my mood; one's more casual, another feels more productive, and a third is where I go to get my head down.
    Also, attend tutorials! Face to face ones are better imo, but there's online tutorials if you can't get to the f2f ones. I prefer f2f because it's more casual than online, so there's more chatting going on and you get to know the others on your module a little better, and everyone I've come across has been really respectful so it's a super productive learning environment, too.
    Some Facebook groups: The Open University; OU Students Association Young Students; The OU Social; OU Study Motivation; Open Uni Student Bar - Social Group; and groups for your course and/or modules.
    Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    The Open University consider credit transfer if the courses are similar. If you tried at worCester and found you didn't like then you it may be possible to transfer in the second year.

ReputationRep:
    P.S I'm an OU student but older than you at 36. Ideal if you just want the study but it can be isolating. ought at 21 you are prob a lot more mature than most 18 year olds in and might fight it difficult to get the social interaction your after there too. I only say that because I went back to uni at age 23 and found that to be the case. Though it is different for each person. Another tip is that if you go to your Nearest OU centre they normally have some course materials of the modules that you'll be studying to look at.

Poll
How are you feeling about Results Day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.