Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    I'm in my first year of uni and I essentially have no motivation to study at uni. I used ti be a hard-working student, but it all started in my last year of sixth form; since then I've lost my zest for learning. I sometimes wonder if, despite my hard work in year 12, and I still didn't do great, that it's made me think what's the point in trying if I'm going to fail. I've always thought of myself as stupid, and that no one really believed in me (such as my school at the time kicking me off a course despite not giving me a proper chance).

I've just lost my passion for reading and, ever since starting uni I've suffered writer's block; I cannot write one word of my story. Not. One. Word. I'm basically lazy and I don't know how to snap out of it.

I don't have the motivation to get up and attend all my lectures, and I don't know what's happened to me over these past two years. Sometimes I wonder if A-levels sucked out all my love of learning out of me (and all my intelligence, as I feel dumber than ever). All I want to do is sleep. It's weird because I know it's not depression as I don't even feel depressed :/

I don't really know what I'll do if I drop out of uni as I won't be qualified for a half-way decent job, and I still won't be good enough to get just a retail job either as I don't have enough work experience. I feel lost, but I will feel even more lost if I drop out of uni.

Advice would be appreciated. Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hanniahisbananaz)

X
    I lost interest.
    Right now I've lost interest in life as well.
    I even got bored of having plans for the future.
    Sometimes I just feel so empty and I want to stop trying.
    But it's ok tomorrow will be a nice day full of random stuff going on keeping my mind distracted.
    Sorry for my nihilism I'm a little bit lost tonight.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hanniahisbananaz)
    I'm in my first year of uni and I essentially have no motivation to study at uni. I used ti be a hard-working student, but it all started in my last year of sixth form; since then I've lost my zest for learning. I sometimes wonder if, despite my hard work in year 12, and I still didn't do great, that it's made me think what's the point in trying if I'm going to fail. I've always thought of myself as stupid, and that no one really believed in me (such as my school at the time kicking me off a course despite not giving me a proper chance).

I've just lost my passion for reading and, ever since starting uni I've suffered writer's block; I cannot write one word of my story. Not. One. Word. I'm basically lazy and I don't know how to snap out of it.

I don't have the motivation to get up and attend all my lectures, and I don't know what's happened to me over these past two years. Sometimes I wonder if A-levels sucked out all my love of learning out of me (and all my intelligence, as I feel dumber than ever). All I want to do is sleep. It's weird because I know it's not depression as I don't even feel depressed :/

I don't really know what I'll do if I drop out of uni as I won't be qualified for a half-way decent job, and I still won't be good enough to get just a retail job either as I don't have enough work experience. I feel lost, but I will feel even more lost if I drop out of uni.

Advice would be appreciated. Thanks
    my hard work went to waste in a levels....

i dropped out first year of engineering at uni

started computer science and i am now in third year...

my current course is still not for me, i wanted to drop out after second year.

if you feel university isnt for you , do something else you love

ReputationRep:
    That's exactly what I'm feeling I'm just tired bad things keep happining to me from my sis passing away and then two weeks later my grandma passed away I have problems with my flat to solve also dealing with racist people everywhere ,problems with my father and problems with my health I have cancer which recurr many times also Tumor in kneee and many other things .but I hate hospitals I just hate it it just remind me of bad things so I don't feel well when I go there I don't want to go outside my flat because I feel suffocated and I can't look I feel dizzy and nauseous I just stay in my bed playing in my phone doing nothing I tried studying but my brain won't absorb information like before I get shaky went to exam I failed all of the subjects ,so I return to my life cycle staying in bed doing nothing.

I used to get 1st in my class to now nothing Iam just a loser in her 2nd year who fails all her exams I am tired of myself I don't want to do anything nothing but then I remember mom and my older sister who passed away I remember her wanting to study and do things in her life but couldn't because she is sick she never once said anything about the pain she lost her sight she stopped talking stopped walking stopped hearing everything happened slowly and tell she is gone I was not with her I was here studying while she was in the hospital suffering my mom was with me while I had my operation even though she was sick too she told mom to go with me and leave her then she told me I'm lucky to have her she said to take care of mom she said I could protect mom while she couldn't because she can't she said that she's sorry she could let take care of me even though she did and I miss her i want her back I was not with her when she left what happened I don't know how she left I don't know how lonely she must have felt how hard it must have been but until the end she did not complain but I could do now is minis her I miss her to death why did she have to go I'm I selfesh to want her back.

I want to stop my life to take a break from everything just to close my eyes and to forget everything I can't sleep even when I sleep I don't feel like I slept .
    I want to stop but I have many haters who want to watch me falling down everywhere why what did I do to them These people will be happy and make fun of me so I have to study to take care of myself But I can't find the motivation to do anything why what's wrong with me why can't I control myself

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xianlong)
    Damn this is what scares me about Cambridge. Why do you think you've lost interest (in maths vs in physics, politics etc, and in life in general)?
    Did you get an offer ? Which tripos ?

I'm not sure if I'm the rule or the exception.
    There is this thing called Week 5 Blues guess what it is
    Things are now getting better. I just had a hard time getting used to it.
    I'm an international so it was harder.

Don't worry about it I hope I'm the exception.

What I really didn't like in Maths is their obsession with proofs and rigour.... I don't care about them at all.
    I want to do something practical!
    I'll probably go to finance once I graduate. I'll try to take as many applied courses as I can.
    If I could I'd drop Analysis and take a module in politics or economics... I can't
    Another problem was that I didn't have a lot of free time. I wanted to have fun as well !

Losing interest in life is a personal thing so you really don't have to consider that in your case.

ReputationRep:
    I think we're all feeling the same at this time of year. Everyone has exams and deadlines coming up, the summer is starting and we just want to enjoy the weather and chill out after having worked hard for the last 6 months. But just like every year, we'll push through for 6 more weeks and everything will be fine. You can relax and start to enjoy yourself. Personally I've been feeling the same but I've realised to just get on with my short term stuff and then I can spend the summer considering my long term issues.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xianlong)
    Yep, maths at Trinity

I get you - probs will get better in IB and later when you can drop all the pure stuff. Sounds like on that front it's just a blip. But idk if the personal side is entirely separate. I'm pretty much bored with life right now. Everything is fine (having fun with STEP, happy most of the time blah blah blah), but nothing really interests me that much. Hoping Cambridge will be exciting enough that I'll get over that feeling, but if it's as dull as it seems to be to you we're gonna have a rough time :/
    Maths at Trinity is great ...but I really wouldn't like to go to Trinity. I knew it wasn't for me from the very beginning.
    When I came to uni I realised that academic excellence is not all I care about... it was too late.
    I had the same feeling when preparing for STEP; easy exams with a lot of algebra to deal with. If you are quick and know the tricks you get an S.
    ...What's the point of that ?
    I just got bored of that eventually.
    Ah ...the thing is I know I can do better, I can get a first, I can do a master here on a cool topic, I can be successful I just don't want it anymore!
    You are right perhaps my nihilism has to do with poor life decisions. I'm sorry I can't explain myself.
    Cambridge can be dull in some ways: lecturers just read their lecture notes loudly and write them in the board (which is pointless), many supervisors just write solutions of the example sheets you already answered ...so you just wait until he completes the whole sheet all alone. There is one who does ALL the tedious algebra in the supervision !
    Lecturers are not great in my opinion. They are great researchers but not great lecturers.
    I just stay in my room and read the lecture notes.
    In a sense I could have done everything here in Greece.
    All you really need is time to read lecture notes understand them and then solve example sheets and past papers.
    You'll meet some amazing people here , but many mathematicians are just mean and anti-social.
    I prefer to avoid most of them.
    I don't want to put you off please take everything with a pinch of salt.
    After all it's just a personal opinion of a random student who is probably not representing them properly ?!

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.