Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone, how are you?

Glad Ive found the student room am honestly a bit lost with so much information on Mpps, Mpas and Mpa-ids - I would very much appreciate "hearing" your opinion on this topic and my story.

Im starting to prepare myself to apply for top MPP or MPA-ID programs.. probably in 2-3 years from now. But here's the fun, challenging thing:

Ive graduated a couple of years ago in Social Communication - Advertising/Marketing (GPA 8.5 out of 10) and, honestly, had no quantitative background from grad school.

Recently, Ive moved from working with consumer good to working at a 3rd sector foundation - where I work as a project analyst, focused on implementing management courses and consultancy at education secretariats; while also managing impact evaluation of these initiatives.

I do love the job and have been exposed to a lot of economics and public policies contents - which has awaken an honest interest for these areas, and one of the reasons Im seeking a MPP or MPA.

My question: Im considering taking micro, macro, statistic, econometry and math classes to fill the quantitative gap, but how much depth is required? Is it enough to have a good GRE quant and introductory calculus, micro and macro?

Since I still have 2-3 years to go under preparation, I will decide wether to:

1. Take a 2-years-Masters in Economics (tough and complex one);
    2. Take independent classes (no diploma) at local University; or

2. Take a 2-years-especialization Economics course - aimed at jornalist, lawyers, where I can have introductory classes in these subjects.

Would very much appreciate having your opinion on my historic and this matter.

Thanks a lot in advance,

Caio

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 21, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    How are your GCSEs going so far?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.