Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

What is a decent salary? watch

Announcements

Hey... I've no concept on salaries and what is good or anything, so just out of interest.. what is a decent confortably-livable salary? My friends reckon twenty grand a year is a bit naff... and I've no idea, could anyone tell me?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~Skye~)
    Hey... I've no concept on salaries and what is good or anything, so just out of interest.. what is a decent confortably-livable salary? My friends reckon twenty grand a year is a bit naff... and I've no idea, could anyone tell me?
    i have no idea about the value of money either...and i cant use a washing machine. or cook.

ReputationRep:
    At what age? It also depends where you live. A decent salary should allow you to buy a house/somewhere to live in a decent area.

ReputationRep:
    as a graduate on average expect between £15 - £25K starting, depending on whether you're public or private sector (and whether you're any good or not!). Of course jobs in the city pay way more than that and it also depends on your location (jobs in the SE pay more, but it costs more to live).

If you're a scientist, do a PhD: at least £12K a year tax free (equiv to £14-15K a year salary) and you don't have to pay council tax and your get 6-8 weeks holiday a year - much better than a job.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by happysunshine)
    At what age?
    i'm 17. ive never used the washing machine. i can and do do ironing.
    The only thing that ive really cooked (in an oven as opposed to the microwave) is a shepherds pie. ive done pasta too, but with help. oh, and i can bake cakes

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by winged_hippo)
    The only thing that ive really cooked (in an oven as opposed to the microwave) is a shepherds pie. ive done pasta too, but with help. oh, and i can bake cakes
    Yeah well that's way more than I can do and I'm 24!

ReputationRep:
    If you're a graduate about £20k would be a good starting salary - within 5-10 years from this you would be expecting to be on about 30k +. In terms of moving out, getting your own 1-bedroom house and a mortage, with 30k you'd be able to do it comfortably.

ReputationRep:
    London - 40k plus.

ReputationRep:
    £40k for London would be loads if you were single or a couple. My brother and his wife currently live in a niceish flat in East London with plenty of disposable cash and have combined wages of £30k.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dr. Blazed)
    £40k for London would be loads if you were single or a couple. My brother and his wife currently live in a niceish flat in East London with plenty of disposable cash and have combined wages of £30k.
    It all depends what sort of lifestyle you're used to and want. I hope that upon graduating I can quickly move up to earning £30K, and eventually want to be able to earn £50K + (preferably much closer to the £100K than £50K). That's only because I've been brought up in that sort of lifestyle and I want to be able to give my children even more than my rents gave me.

However, many people live comfortably on £30K or less.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hoofbeat)
    It all depends what sort of lifestyle you're used to and want. I hope that upon graduating I can quickly move up to earning £30K, and eventually want to be able to earn £50K + (preferably much closer to the £100K than £50K). That's only because I've been brought up in that sort of lifestyle and I want to be able to give my children even more than my rents gave me.

However, many people live comfortably on £30K or less.
    I'm sure I wouldn't mind £50k either But thirty or more is very livable, while you could get by on 20k.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dr. Blazed)
    I'm sure I wouldn't mind £50k either But thirty or more is very livable, while you could get by on 20k.
    Depends where in London you want to live, 30k wouldn’t get you a mortgage on a studio flat in most areas of London.

Hmm... interesting comments. Well, what if I were to say I'm gonna be doing an arty course (was gonna do a sciencey course but I decided to not go ahead despite the good pay and prospects-i'm crazy sometimes, i know...lol) and so... touch wood, I'll be working in the creative industries. Ideally not in London, because I'm not keen on it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by winged_hippo)
    What is this- a marriage proposal?

You can iron, cook pasta AND bake cakes! Well, I'm afraid the cakes settle it- I'm game if you are!

(Before you get scared I'm only kidding, but a free cake would be nice)

[ahem] no offence, but could we focus on the thread topic? Cheers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~Skye~)
    [ahem] no offence, but could we focus on the thread topic? Cheers.
    Sure

ReputationRep:
    Guess a decent salary is one which you can live off comftably and that is going to increase

ReputationRep:
    depends on age, experience, qualitifactions and characther. If you as thick as two short planks are very old and have no experience 15k is an amazing wage.
    its completely subjective which is what some previous posters have alluded to

ReputationRep:
    I'm hoping to earn over 50k as well, nearer to 100k or over...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MRLX69)
    I'm hoping to earn over 50k as well, nearer to 100k or over...
    when in your life are you aiming to earn that? like when you're 25 or when you're 45? not having a go, just wondering, i wouldn't mind getting there too

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.