it's not my fault i'm overly pedantic... it's the way i'm made

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crana)
    ok, well, truce?

it's not my fault i'm overly pedantic... it's the way i'm made
    are you going to be an english student?

(Original post by shiny)
    are you going to be an english student?
    no... and i am sure i make thousands of grammatical faux pas (what's the plural of that, anyway?) myself..

i'm going to do natural sciences... probably end up doing genetics or biochem or something

i think it must be some kind of disorder .. the way i have to wait until everyone is out of the room then correct the spelling and add or delete apostrophes on all the signs etc at work... aaah

i'm a scientific pedant too.. i got banned from asking questions in A-level biology lessons

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crana)
    no... and i am sure i make thousands of grammatical faux pas (what's the plural of that, anyway?) myself..

i'm going to do natural sciences... probably end up doing genetics or biochem or something

i think it must be some kind of disorder .. the way i have to wait until everyone is out of the room then correct the spelling and add or delete apostrophes on all the signs etc at work... aaah

i'm a scientific pedant too.. i got banned from asking questions in A-level biology lessons
    lol i'll forgive you

I'm a bit like that with tidyness!

ReputationRep:
    you must have one of those pedant genes

(Original post by Vladek)
    lol i'll forgive you

I'm a bit like that with tidyness!
    i wish i was... i seem to spread untidiness and chaos in my wake

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crana)
    i wish i was... i seem to spread untidiness and chaos in my wake
    * feels proud that you two are on friendly terms now *

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~Skye~)
    Hey... I've no concept on salaries and what is good or anything, so just out of interest.. what is a decent confortably-livable salary? My friends reckon twenty grand a year is a bit naff... and I've no idea, could anyone tell me?

It's all relative. If you earn 12k, you'll want 15k because there's ALWAYS something you "must have" which is just out of reach. Similarly, if you earn 30K, you'll want 33K just so you can afford that plasma TV or better model of car etc...

The acid test is to look at what you have, then think about what you could live without if your salary was halved. It'll make you realise just how comfortable you really are and how many "luxuries" you take for granted.

I'm not picking on you specifically, we all do it. As a nation (or Western capitalist, consumer driven civilisation) we all tend to live beyond our means. And as our salaries grow, our desire to maintain and increase our comfort levels increases proportionally.

I'll get off my soapbox now.

Nice post REME..... surely a salary determines the size of your house? Any fool can take out a loan for a plasma tv no? obviously the better your salary the easier it'll be etc....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DazYaABBB)
    Nice post REME..... surely a salary determines the size of your house? Any fool can take out a loan for a plasma tv no? obviously the better your salary the easier it'll be etc....
    Even the size of your house is relative... be it a one-bedroom flat in Knightsbridge at a cool £2 million, or a 4 bed detached in Merthyr Tydfil at £50K.

I'm in a 3 bed semi, with just the wife, and I STILL don't have enough room. A few years ago I was living in a single room in the barracks and that was all the space I had to house my entire world...

Give me a 12 bedroom mansion on a 50 acre estate and I'll probably fill every room within a few years and then moan about lack of space.

I'm not happy about having a single room with shared toilet etc at uni, when the rent from that would more than pay for the rent of an entire terraced house here.. ok, so youd have some bills on top.. but still!

ReputationRep:
    I'll be happy if I earn enough to have a nice 3-bed house with a garden, a car, and some disposable cash. I'd much rather wake up each morning wanting to go to work, even if my wage was 'average', than waking up each morning and going to a job I hated but earned me more money.

mhm am going to have a partner and we will both work full time....... living in a luxorious house with good careers

am just not sure if that's going to be possible with all these house prices sky rocketing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crana)
    I'm not happy about having a single room with shared toilet etc at uni, when the rent from that would more than pay for the rent of an entire terraced house here.. ok, so youd have some bills on top.. but still!
    Is this Cambridge by chance?

ReputationRep:
    I'm on 10k at the moment, with a 2:2 from Bath in Maths I got about 2 yrs ago , cos I did a bit of travelling and stuff.

The good thing is where I work is about 5 minutes from my parents house and I'm getting experience in accountancy. Also they are going to give me study leave to do CIMA - hopefully after I get this I can hit 40k in about 5 years time. I get the feeling I'm going to have to move out from Coventry though cos the jobs market here is really *****y for finance compared to the south east ><

My work place is moving now though so the morning drive is going to be longer > >.
    The next job I will apply for I'm going for 25k minimum

Go for 20k people , unless your in Coventry in which case 17k is probably a decent starting salary.

(Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    Is this Cambridge by chance?
    It is. Having said that, I do live in mansfield.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pulpstar)
    I'm on 10k at the moment, with a 2:2 from Bath in Maths I got about 2 yrs ago , cos I did a bit of travelling and stuff.

The good thing is where I work is about 5 minutes from my parents house and I'm getting experience in accountancy. Also they are going to give me study leave to do CIMA - hopefully after I get this I can hit 40k in about 5 years time. I get the feeling I'm going to have to move out from Coventry though cos the jobs market here is really *****y for finance compared to the south east ><

My work place is moving now though so the morning drive is going to be longer > >.
    The next job I will apply for I'm going for 25k minimum

Go for 20k people , unless your in Coventry in which case 17k is probably a decent starting salary.

I'm on 30k with a BSc in Electronic Engineering, but apart from my current job, I'd be lucky to clear 22k anywhere in the UK. Maybe I should try being a manager at Burger King.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChemistBoy)
    Yeah well that's way more than I can do and I'm 24!
    lol men!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChemistBoy)
    as a graduate on average expect between £15 - £25K starting, depending on whether you're public or private sector (and whether you're any good or not!). Of course jobs in the city pay way more than that and it also depends on your location (jobs in the SE pay more, but it costs more to live).

If you're a scientist, do a PhD: at least £12K a year tax free (equiv to £14-15K a year salary) and you don't have to pay council tax and your get 6-8 weeks holiday a year - much better than a job.
    my sister is currently in the 2nd year of her PhD, living with 4 other PhD students...she has 2 weeks paid holiday in the summer and then time at christmas. generally they work over bank holidays. (but obviously no time and a half or anything)

The amount you get also depends very much on the funding and sponsorship you can get hold of!

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.