Arm really hurts after blood test? Watch

Zozaaaa
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I've just been for a blood test a little less than an hour ago. My veins are very deep and the nurse finds it difficult to get blood out of me every time I go, they had to try twice in both arms with both butterfly and adult needles. After every blood test I have my arms hurt so bad I struggle to lift them or hold anything even like a cup of tea. Any advice on how to stop them hurting so much? I can't even drive to college rn because its very sharp and painful when I move them and my shoulders ache too. Thanks.
Nunchuck-master-2334
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Zozaaaa)
I've just been for a blood test a little less than an hour ago. My veins are very deep and the nurse finds it difficult to get blood out of me every time I go, they had to try twice in both arms with both butterfly and adult needles. After every blood test I have my arms hurt so bad I struggle to lift them or hold anything even like a cup of tea. Any advice on how to stop them hurting so much? I can't even drive to college rn because its very sharp and painful when I move them and my shoulders ache too. Thanks.
It's coz you go tense when the needle goes in, so that makes it hurt much more.
Next time, just relax!
David B
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I would suggest you avoid any heavy lifting or excessive use of your arms. But do make sure to keep moving them in moderation. It's normally for your arms to bruise and hurt after any form of blood withdrawal.
I once went to donate blood and the nurse who was taking it inserted the needle wrong, and it didn't hit the vein correctly and it hurt for some time. Worst thing was that, instead of removing the needle, she attempted to correct it while moving it while still inside my arm.
LeapingLucy
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Zozaaaa)
As soon as the nurse removes the needle, press down on the patch of skin as hard as you can to reduce bruising.

To reduce aching, take paracetamol/ibuprofen.

There's not really anything else you can do, given that it sounds like you're someone who has to have a lot of blood tests.
ThatsAGoodOne349
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Nunchuck-master-2334)
It's coz you go tense when the needle goes in, so that makes it hurt much more.
Next time, just relax!
Sounds about right, Do as David B said

(Original post by David B)
I would suggest you avoid any heavy lifting or excessive use of your arms. But do make sure to keep moving them in moderation. It's normally for your arms to bruise and hurt after any form of blood withdrawal.
I once went to donate blood and the nurse who was taking it inserted the needle wrong, and it didn't hit the vein correctly and it hurt for some time. Worst thing was that, instead of removing the needle, she attempted to correct it while moving it while still inside my arm.
*David is owed a rep from me, but they have to wait*
Nunchuck-master-2334
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by LeapingLucy)
As soon as the nurse removes the needle, press down on the patch of skin as hard as you can to reduce bruising.

To reduce aching, take paracetamol/ibuprofen.

There's not really anything else you can do, given that it sounds like you're someone who has to have a lot of blood tests.
Zozaaaa needs to relax during a blood test.
JD2015AS agrees with me on this, right?
ThatsAGoodOne349
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Zozaaaa needs to relax during a blood test.
JD2015AS agrees with me on this, right?
Yes,
Yes,
And is this true?
Zozaaaa
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Thanks everyone for the help, it's just difficult because I'm a big needlephobe. The nurse asks me to tense my arm when inserting the needle as its the only way my veins will pop up really, thankfully I only end up having one every year or so but it's a real pain afterwards because I can hardly even lift a drink to my mouth
Nunchuck-master-2334
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by JD2015AS)
Yes,
Yes,
And is this true?
Yes.
I've had 23 blood tests done, I've relaxed in all of them, and my arms have operated normally afterwards
ThatsAGoodOne349
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Yes.
I've had 23 blood tests done, I've relaxed in all of them, and my arms have operated normally afterwards
I meant in the order of the post you quoted -_-

And yes don't tense
Nunchuck-master-2334
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by JD2015AS)
I meant in the order of the post you quoted -_-

And yes don't tense
oh
guideinfoways
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I would recommend you prevent any hard work or extreme use of your hands. But do make sure to move them moderately. It's normally for your hands to bruise and harm after any type of blood vessels drawback.
Gurlz_K-Khalsa
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I have had one now and more than 50 blood test so \_(-_-)_/.....
bmxmomx1
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I am having the same problem. I have no bruising but my arm really hurts. I would also like to know why this is happening.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top

Are you attending a Global Climate Strike?

Yes, I'm striking (18)
7.73%
No, but I wanted to/I support the cause (130)
55.79%
No (85)
36.48%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed