Do your parents make you pay rent?

Watch
punki_rach
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
Just started my gap year but my dad wasn't exactly thrilled about it so he's decided to make me pay rent, and he's come up with the sum of £50 a week. So I was just wondering if anyone else has to pay rent to their parents and how much they're charged? And does it bother you that you have to pay to live in your own home? I know he's trying to teach me responsibility and everything but he's just moved his girlfriend in without even discussing it with me so it kinda feels like he's trying to get me to move out (my mum only lives down the road and doesn't ask me to pay rent). I don't wanna move out but I'm supposed to be saving so I can go on a course in Africa next year and I really don't think I can afford £50 a week. I've only got a 9 to 5 at the local supermarket.
geebs2005
Badges: 0
Report 13 years ago
no i moved out so i pay anyways but my older sister who still stays at home she has to pay
anteguardian
Badges: 1
Report 13 years ago
£50 a week?!

*has a heart attack*

But id suggest living with your mum if its free... that way youll be able to save for your Africa course. It makes more sense to move in with your mum in the long run...
fais
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
No; but that's the culture I've been brought up in. I know plenty of friends who pay rent though.. (can't understand it myself).

The price depends on which part of the country you're in - £50 pw in London is a pretty good deal (ignoring that it's your own house for a second) but I can see why you might have difficulties coughing it up with only a supermarket job and the need to save for your trip.
wannabe_medic
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr, wtf 50 quid a week with only a supermarket job AND a trip to africa that needs funding, I think your dad is way too harsh. The whole world is going to teach you responsibility, your dad doesn't need to help you there.
Move to your mum's place pronto.
This is just my opinion, sorry if I sound harsh.
louisedotcom
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Nope I dont pay rent, but I am in full time education.
Although I dont honestly think my parents would ever charge me rent. My brothers been out of education for 2 years, sits around doing nothing, and for the brief period that he did have a job they didnt ask for anything from him.

Move in with your mum. I know you dont want to move out, but £50 a week will really add up. Over the course of a year thats alot of money, well over £1500, which would be a huge contribution towards your trip.
dh00001
Badges: 16
Report 13 years ago
its £2600 a year
it does sound high but i suppose really it depends upon the financial situation the fathers in.
oh and i have to pay rent too
punki_rach
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
Cool thanks for the replies guys. I was kinda worried it was just me being greedy or ungrateful or something. I don't really wanna blackmail him but I'm kinda hoping me just suggesting I move in with my mum will make he reconsidder, cos I know he'd really hate that. I don't mind paying a bit of rent but yeah £50 a week would probably mean I couldn't go to Africa next year. Which is probably what he wants thinking about it...

Edit: Pretty sure my dad is loaded so he really doesn't need my money
ßlαcksωαn
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Hell no. They 'made' me they should be able to accomodate me for free!
Elitist
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I think any parent who makes their child pay rent is pretty stingy.

I'd blow up at my parents if they dared to suggest rent. If I ever have kids, I certainly wouldn't make them pay rent either. =/
OnlyMe!
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
No way.

If they suggested it, I'd rather pay extra and move elsewhere...

(Although this would be very difficult either way, not having any real source of income)
la fille danse
  • CV Helper
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Of course not... I'm only home during the holidays, but my parents actually want me to be there and would be disappointed if I didn't come home, so charging me rent wouldn't make much sense.
Talya
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Go live with your mum!
Paeony
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
When I lived at home I paid my mum half of everything I earned - it went towards the mortgage so I didn't mind. I don't see a problem with paying rent when you live at home. You're an adult, if you're working you should contribute, it's only fair. Your parents respect you for it too.
guitargirl03
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
As others have said, I'd suggest going to live with your mum.

Having said that, £50 per week, which I assume includes bills and food is a lot cheaper than renting your own place...
Triplet1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
;yes;

I'm on a gap year too. I'm working a full time job so i think its pretty far i do pay rent. I pay £25 a week.
Cortez
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
£180 per calendar month.
Trigger
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
i had to pay £50 a month which i thought was fair as there was 6 people living in my house and my mum didnt get child benefit anymore. i only paid for a few months as i then moved out
LinziP123
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
i am going to pay it this year but i dont mind at all because i am going into my 2nd gap year and will be working! but i dont really agree with people who take a lot of money off their kids, when surely it will just pay for stuff in the house and things for the family! i know someone who will be earning 800 a month on his gap year job and his parents are taking 200 which i find ridiculous, why not let him earn his money and save up??
tbm
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
When I was on my gap year I had to pay a contribution towards the household costs, which I didnt mind doing
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you confident you could find support for your mental health if you needed it in COVID-19?

Yes (20)
22.99%
No (67)
77.01%

Watched Threads