Do your parents make you pay rent?

Watch
goldenGAZE
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
My parents would make me pay 50 pounds a week if i left home! ok not true but they really don't want me to move out:rolleyes:

anyway i doubt my parents would make me pay rent (id i did leave home) because they know that i just wouldn't pay up. I always seem to be broke for some reason
Gemz87
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Yeah I pay rent, teaches you about the real world, I'd pay accommodation at uni so I don't see the difference
Schmokie Dragon
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Your father is being ridiculous. I'm all for making contributions to the family by doing my fair share with chores, running the kids to school and buying some groceries, but £50 a week? Nasty. There is a difference between teaching someone responsibility and screwing them over.

And the fact he has just moved his bird in as well . . . she doesn't own the house in any way (by the sound of it) and should not be being given preferential treatment. If your dad truly cared about you going to Africa and going to university, he would not put this burden on you.

Does he need the money?
bunthulhu
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I've just turned 19, my mom has never asked me for rent, just to do chores. Next summer money is going to be really tight so she wants me to start paying rent - I'd say it was a little unfair as my brother will be 22 by then and has never had to pay anything either although he still lives at home, but I know she needs the money. Plus I won't even be here next summer
Elitist
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Schmokie Dragon)
Your father is being ridiculous. I'm all for making contributions to the family by doing my fair share with chores, running the kids to school and buying some groceries, but £50 a week? Nasty. There is a difference between teaching someone responsibility and screwing them over.

And the fact he has just moved his bird in as well . . . she doesn't own the house in any way (by the sound of it) and should not be being given preferential treatment. If your dad truly cared about you going to Africa and going to university, he would not put this burden on you.

Does he need the money?
(Original post by punki_rach)
Edit: Pretty sure my dad is loaded so he really doesn't need my money
^^

Completely agree with you, btw.
BeesKnees
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
My mom would never ask me to pay rent but if I lived at home and had a job, I would do my best to contribute to general household stuff e.g. food shopping or doing chores. Your dad is being pretty selfish.
Horrorshow
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Errm, I can't understand why so many people are shocked with the idea of having to pay rent. The OP is in full time employment, so like any other responsible lodger should pay rent for the services of the room, food, heating, electricity etc. Being the child of the home owner should not change anything. Maybe the level of rent is too high, but consider how much he could be getting off a private lodger for the room?
la fille danse
  • CV Helper
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
but consider how much he could be getting off a private lodger for the room?
I'm not sure I see the relevance.

If he wanted a lodger, then he could've gotten one 18 years ago.

I feel sorry for you if you see the relatonship between parents and their children as identical to the relationship between landlord and lodger...
hanns.g
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
No. I am their 'baby'. HA.
Morbo
Badges: 17
Report 13 years ago
No, I've got parents who appreciate that they need to butter me up now so that I give them some money when they're old and poor and I'm rich.
sax gal
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I've also started my gap year, i currently don't earn much as so far i'm only working weekends as I have for the last 2 years, but i'm trying to get a full time job and i've agreed that as soon as i get a full time salary sorted i'm going to give my mum money towards my 'keep'. Until August i think she was receiving approx £20 a week child benefit, as every mum is entitled to until september after their child's 18th birthday *i think*. Taking into account that my mum doesn't earn much as she only works part time herself, she's stopped receiving child benefit and also the fact that i do add to bills by being at home eg. food, phone bill etc, I am quite happy to give my mum between £80-100 a month. I think this is a fair sum as i will be working full time so will be able to afford that plus it's roughly equal to the child benefit she no longer receives.
silverbolt
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by blackswan)
Hell no. They 'made' me they should be able to accomodate me for free!
ive always hated that excuse. and it is an excuse.

Your parents stop having any obligation to you when you hit 18 - your an adult time to live in the adult world. Are you going to live with your parents till they die so that you dont have to ever pay rent? Youve had 18 years of them paying for everything for you -from nappies to playstations why should they continue to pay when your capable of providing for yourself.

I pay £50 a week and that covers everything. Try living on your own and see if £50 a week covers rent, tax, water, electric, gas, food, Tv liscence, internet/phone line etc etc. I garuntee you it wont cover it.

You live in the house eating the food, using the electrics and gas, watching the TV using the internet etc etc. It all costs money as oes paying for the roof over your head. I see no reason why a person earning a full time wage cannot contribute to their own upkeep. My sister and her son live with my dad - he earns more than enough to pay for them but my sister still pays soemthing for upkeep granted its less than what my brother and i pay to our mother but life does not give anyone a free ride. My sister uses electricity and all that why shouldnt she contribute to the keeping of it?

Your going to Africa ok fair enough, i have debts/credit cards/phone bills to pay for. I still manage to pay rent. I wouldnt dream of telling my mother no im not paying rent cos ive got other things the money is needed for. Either get a better paid job/second job or do more hours at work. There are ways to make up the money.

Of course seeing as your mother has said you wont have to pay rent then go for it. It will definetly be in your interest to do so.
I_am_the_mob
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I don't pay rent (I'm 17) and I plan on living at uni come next year. I do know people who are made to pay way too much rent though. It stops people being able to move out
Trigger
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
i wonder if the OP has actaully sat down with her father and explained she earns X amount a week, she needs X amount for her trip so can afford to pay X amount in rent. Nothing like actually talking to a person to resolve a conflict.
coni
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I started paying rent as soon as I started working when I was 18 and just starting uni

I still pay £90 a month now, I dont mind though as I'm on my gap year now
Sarky
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Why shouldn't you pay rent if you are living in their house and working? Maybe the amount could be negociated, but bills still need to be paid.
nanananabatman
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I think parents who make their kids pay rent is WRONG. I don't mind if I'm done with uni, got a job but can't afford to get a place to stay, then I'd pay a little bit to help around but with the OP's situation, it's complete *******s.
Turdburger
Badges: 16
Report 13 years ago
No, I've got parents who appreciate that they need to butter me up now so that I give them some money when they're old and poor and I'm rich.
Pure Genius.
Wee Barry
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I honestly don't see the problem. You decided to work and therefore should pay rent. It's called living in the real world.
Ronaldo VII
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I pay £50 a month which I dont think is too much to ask. Im at Uni anyway so the loan covers it and its much cheaper than living elsewhere and only fair really considering what it cost to feed me + the electricity etc. If I was forced to pay £50 a week I would move out lol.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you confident you could find support for your mental health if you needed it in COVID-19?

Yes (77)
21.57%
No (280)
78.43%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise