Do your parents make you pay rent?

Watch
Clubber Lang
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
This comesu p every so often - some say that once you are old enough you shouldnt live for free if you are using resources and others say they are a child forever and so should be looked after forever.

End of the day £50 is the cheap end of the rent scale so b happy with that at least.
silverbolt
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by blackswan)
I'm sorry you live in a 'household' like that.
but I live in a FAMILY whereby we support eachother. If I use the computer I know I don't have to go and pay for it, because they love me and see me as their daughter...not just some random boarding at this house.:rolleyes:
What I said was not an excuse, ok I said it in a funny way. But for me the only reason as to why a child should pay to live at home, is if they're earning more an their parents, if their parents are bum poor, they voluntarily do it, or they are 30...but apart from that they shouldnt have to.
I think any parent who forces their child to live with them is selfish. And if I was forced to pay board I wouldn't be living here I can tell you that much.
i too live in a family (well my parents have split up but thats niether here nor there). there is nothing wrong with paying your way. My mother loves me and sees me as her son but i am not a child, i work and can pay my way. My mother isnt well off and my living with her is a mutual benefical way of doing it niether of us can afford to live on our own yet together we can just manage it reletively comfortably. But even when my parents were together we paid rent. Its only fair. My mother doesnt force me to live with her and i wold agree that a parent who forces thier child to live with them is being selfish and to then make that child pay rent is worse. I should add that its like living with a "parent" i dont have to say when im coming or going i can bring back who want providing i let her know beforehand. and im not exactly on a curfew

Your last comment strikes me firstly as naievette. Where do you think you could live cheaper than where most people do living at home. Few parents charge thier children the same amount as a landlord does and even fewer charge them extra for leccy and food. Do you have the means to support yourself?
Secondly you moving out if they do try to charge you rent strikes me as A. sponging (i mean that as unnofensively as possible) and cutting off your nose to spite your face
ßlαcksωαn
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by silverbolt)
i too live in a family (well my parents have split up but thats niether here nor there). there is nothing wrong with paying your way. My mother loves me and sees me as her son but i am not a child, i work and can pay my way. My mother isnt well off and my living with her is a mutual benefical way of doing it niether of us can afford to live on our own yet together we can just manage it reletively comfortably. But even when my parents were together we paid rent. Its only fair. My mother doesnt force me to live with her and i wold agree that a parent who forces thier child to live with them is being selfish and to then make that child pay rent is worse. I should add that its like living with a "parent" i dont have to say when im coming or going i can bring back who want providing i let her know beforehand. and im not exactly on a curfew

Your last comment strikes me firstly as naievette. Where do you think you could live cheaper than where most people do living at home. Few parents charge thier children the same amount as a landlord does and even fewer charge them extra for leccy and food. Do you have the means to support yourself?
Secondly you moving out if they do try to charge you rent strikes me as A. sponging (i mean that as unnofensively as possible) and cutting off your nose to spite your face
I think it's fine if your parent/s is a bit short of cash and you put in. and I didnt say anything about forcing me to live with them, I mean forcing me to pay.
what would happen if you stopped paying? I guess things just wouldnt happen and you'd have to go without some stuff. The fact that you have to let her know who's coming back with you kinda proves that it isn't like just living with someone, she is your mother.
And to me if they just decided to start charging me, I said I'd move out because I would see that as them being rude, and I refuse to take any ****. But I know my family would never want me to pay board. I think if one is cleaning after themselves or at least helping out a bit around the house, there should be no need to physically pay them UNLESS money is an issue ofcourse!
guitargirl03
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
And to me if they just decided to start charging me, I said I'd move out because I would see that as them being rude, and I refuse to take any ****. But I know my family would never want me to pay board. I think if one is cleaning after themselves or at least helping out a bit around the house, there should be no need to physically pay them UNLESS money is an issue ofcourse!
I don't think a parent asking a child to pay rent is rude. It helps the child see what actually happens in the real world. If you think parents asking for rent are rude, how are you going to cope with landlords, who can be extremely rude and a small percentage can attempt to rip people off. If you're an adult, you should be able to take some responsibility. I mean, cleaning after yourself is helpful, but it wont pay for the electricity which you use, water you use, etc. As I now rent a student house I now appreciate how much everything costs and I can see why parents, even if they are lucky enough not to experience money problems, ask their children for money. Running a household is not cheap.
anelka9
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
the day i pay rent at home is the day i move out
Francophobia
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
It hasn't occurred to them yet, but they would if they could -- even though I'm not working at the moment.
loopymeg
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
My mum doesn't charge me rent when I'm at home because I'm in full-time education,. However, if I had a job instead - or even if I was just a lazy bum - then she'd charge me 'housekeeping'.
When I see my dad, he doesn't charge me rent either, but that's probably because I'm normally there to visit him. I did live with him over the summer because I was working nearby, but he didn't charge me anything because it's his way of helping me while I'm a poor student.
anelka9
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by loopymeg)
My mum doesn't charge me rent when I'm at home because I'm in full-time education,. However, if I had a job instead - or even if I was just a lazy bum - then she'd charge me 'housekeeping'.
When I see my dad, he doesn't charge me rent either, but that's probably because I'm normally there to visit him. I did live with him over the summer because I was working nearby, but he didn't charge me anything because it's his way of helping me while I'm a poor student.
yeh parents dont really bother me because i study full-time
ive been a bum for 3months and they still dont seem to mind! going back to uni next week though.

ur probably daddys little princess though:p:

i bet more boys pay housekeeping then girls, although girls like to be indepedant n feel obliged to pay their own way! :eek:
Trigger
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I like the way Blackswan is implying my parents dont love me because they had me pay rent. Why should me mother have to pay for 6 people to eat, wash, watch tv and generally use the house as a hotel. I worked 3 jobs, cook most of the meals, did a lot of housework and paid rent. That is being respectful to your parents and family not sponging off them then throwing a hissy fit because they have the "cheek" to ask you to act like a goddam adult. :rolleyes:
Sorani
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I only understand it if the parent needs a money, if they are well-off then they're just being stingy as far as I'm concerned.

I don't buy the reason 'it prepares you for the real world' because there's a giant difference, a landlord is a person you won't have an attatchment to so you won't really give a damn about paying them rent and all that because it's just a person who is trying earn money and have a business. If a well-off parent tries to pull a rent scam then, if I could afford it of course, I'd just leave because as far as I'm concerned they're saying that I've stopped being their offspring and become just a lodger.
They chose to breed and so they should realise that their children may want to stay with them even if their plan was to cut them off at a certain age.

Like I said, however, some parents need the money and that's fair enough because teenagers/young adults don't come cheap.
ßlαcksωαn
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by guitargirl03)
I don't think a parent asking a child to pay rent is rude. It helps the child see what actually happens in the real world. If you think parents asking for rent are rude, how are you going to cope with landlords, who can be extremely rude and a small percentage can attempt to rip people off. If you're an adult, you should be able to take some responsibility. I mean, cleaning after yourself is helpful, but it wont pay for the electricity which you use, water you use, etc. As I now rent a student house I now appreciate how much everything costs and I can see why parents, even if they are lucky enough not to experience money problems, ask their children for money. Running a household is not cheap.
renting a house/paying landlord and living with family/in a home are two very different things imo.
loopymeg
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by anelka9)
ur probably daddys little princess though:p:
Me? A princess!? :rofl:

i bet more boys pay housekeeping then girls, although girls like to be indepedant n feel obliged to pay their own way! :eek:
This would be quite cool if it were true, but unfortunately I know that both of my parents would charge me rent as soon I lost the "student" status
supercat
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I'm expecting to have to live at home for some time after I graduate, because I will either be in postgrad training or saving for a place of my own. My parents are well off, but I would want to pay rent. Firstly, after having me for the obligatory 18 years, they'll have to put up with me there all the time again, and although I know they love me it's also a bit unfair for me to intrude on their 'alone time', if that makes sense. Secondly, they're doing me a favour by letting me stay there and save money, and it's only fair to recompense them for the services I'm using eg heating/water/possibly food. It's nothing to do with me being their child, as such; we're very close, but I'd feel bad living there rent-free after uni. It would be my idea, rather than theirs, though. And to the OP, it seems a bit unfair for you to have to pay rent on your pay and when you're saving for Africa.
la fille danse
  • CV Helper
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
If you think parents asking for rent are rude, how are you going to cope with landlords, who can be extremely rude and a small percentage can attempt to rip people off.
I think parents asking for rent is rude and I coped very well with having a landlord, thank you very much. This is quite possibly because the landlord wasn't my parent and because I was living in their property so that they could make a profit, not out of any sense of parental love on their part.

Why should me mother have to pay for 6 people to eat, wash, watch tv and generally use the house as a hotel.
I'm a bit confused. Who forced her to have six children? :confused:
bunthulhu
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by more adventurous)
I think parents asking for rent is rude and I coped very well with having a landlord, thank you very much. This is quite possibly because the landlord wasn't my parent and because I was living in their property so that they could make a profit, not out of any sense of parental love on their part.

I'm a bit confused. Who forced her to have six children? :confused:
And if the parents need the money?
la fille danse
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I've explained on numerous occasions that that's a different matter. I don't think it's necessary to include every possible disclaimer...
guitargirl03
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
renting a house/paying landlord and living with family/in a home are two very different things imo.
They're not that different. Someone still has to pay the bills, pay for food, etc, regardless of who you're living with.
la fille danse
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
The difference is that when you bring a person into the world, you are choosing to take on a level of (unpaid) responsibility over that person.

A landlord does nothing of that sort when he signs a rental agreement with you.
Pixie_256
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
no, i dont have to pay rent, i am expected to help around the house, as im sure most people are
silverbolt
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
The fact that you have to let her know who's coming back with you kinda proves that it isn't like just living with someone, she is your mother.
i do it because its courteous the same as she lets me know if any of her friends are coming over.

Personally i think its selfish to expect your parents to support you when youve reached an adult age.

(Original post by more adventurous)
The difference is that when you bring a person into the world, you are choosing to take on a level of (unpaid) responsibility over that person.

A landlord does nothing of that sort when he signs a rental agreement with you.
as ive already said they supported you for 18 years of your life. Without asking a penny back for it.

i think its just sponging.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you confident you could find support for your mental health if you needed it in COVID-19?

Yes (77)
21.63%
No (279)
78.37%

Watched Threads