summer jobs Watch

This discussion is closed.
woox
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
i was just wondering where people have been working over the summer and what the jobs have been like.

its been pretty crap for me, i;ve not been able to find anything despite sending in tons of application forms and handing cv/s in everywhere i've either been told that the positions have been filled by more experienced people or that they are lookig for people who have make a longer term commitment. i tried registering with an agency but that didn't turn up much - they said that they were so swamped with students at the moment that again they only really had work for more experienced people....what really annoys me is that fact that i do have experience - i used to work in a shop on saturdays and so i thought that would at least count for something!

also do you think it would still be possible to get some work even though i only have 4 weeks left before i return to uni? if so where would i be best looking?

sorry for the whinge its just reall getting me down and i needed to have a bit of a rant!
rottcodd
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by woox)
i was just wondering where people have been working over the summer and what the jobs have been like.

its been pretty crap for me, i;ve not been able to find anything despite sending in tons of application forms and handing cv/s in everywhere i've either been told that the positions have been filled by more experienced people or that they are lookig for people who have make a longer term commitment. i tried registering with an agency but that didn't turn up much - they said that they were so swamped with students at the moment that again they only really had work for more experienced people....what really annoys me is that fact that i do have experience - i used to work in a shop on saturdays and so i thought that would at least count for something!

also do you think it would still be possible to get some work even though i only have 4 weeks left before i return to uni? if so where would i be best looking?

sorry for the whinge its just reall getting me down and i needed to have a bit of a rant!
I've had exactly the same problem! I did belong to one of those agency things but I kept getting phone calls every day from them for the most obscure jobs!

It's going to be very difficult looking for some work for the next 4 weeks - try looking in your local paper. They usually have loads of student work in telesales specifically advertised for students. You get paid lots, but I don't think it would be very fun.
sneezyme
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by woox)

I had the same problem as you this summer, then I realised that nobody would take me on now, knowing that I'll be leaving to go to university in september. So that's why I've started to look for jobs in the area I will be studying instead, if you are going away to uiniversity this September too, I suggest you do the same because once term starts, everybody will be looking for one!
shep
Report 14 years ago
Fortunately I have a part time job aswell as being in sixth form. I work at the Inland Revenue 26 1/2 hours a week (twighlight) The job itself is nothing spectacular but at the end of the day, its money. I know call centres are high demand with students, on the down side every1 i know who has/does work in a call centre goes mental when the phone rings, lol
Everdawn
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Ive been at Myer-Grace the same place ive been for almost a year. :rolleyes:
JennLlama
  • CV Helper
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Last summer I got a job at Marks & Spencer - work wasn't anything spectacular but they paid pretty well and take on *loads* of staff over the summer, even just for a few weeks (my contract was 8 weeks part-time). Also had a nice staff canteen with all the yummy M&S food but cheaper than in the shops!
This summer I've got a work placement at a big engineering company which is going really well, though I think you need to apply very early to be in with a chance of getting a proper work placement - lots of competition.
Good luck getting a job!
Dam
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Hey I haven't been around here for a while, and holy **** has this place changed!

I hope eveyone working just over the summer has completed their P38S form so they don't pay any income tax on their earnings. Sorry if this is obvious but I didn't know last year and paid lots of tax which I am now having a headache trying to get back.
nicki04
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I've been working at the same old Tesco I've been working at for over a year boring!! But they pay over £9 an hour on Sundays so i only need to work once a week to earn what i need. They have organised a store transfer for me for Uni, and have discount cards etc. Its not so bad. Good luck finding a job!
Dam
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by nicki04)
I've been working at the same old Tesco I've been working at for over a year boring!! But they pay over £9 an hour on Sundays so i only need to work once a week to earn what i need. They have organised a store transfer for me for Uni, and have discount cards etc. Its not so bad. Good luck finding a job!
Lucky you most tescos only pay about £6.50 ph on sundays! I hated working for tesco but then i hate working full stop.
confusd_puzzled
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
The best option for a summer holiday job is temporary work. Find a local agency that deal with temporary placements. Sign up with them and they'll keep throwing jobs at you. Even though they are temporary jobs you'll be employed most of the time cos they have a lot of jobs going. The pay is attractive as well. the minimum wage through the agency i have signed up with is £4.80. beware though cos most jobs you'll be given will be in factory environment especially packing. If you dont mind that then this is the best option for summer work.
xaxa
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by confusd_puzzled)
The best option for a summer holiday job is temporary work. Find a local agency that deal with temporary placements. Sign up with them and they'll keep throwing jobs at you. Even though they are temporary jobs you'll be employed most of the time cos they have a lot of jobs going. The pay is attractive as well. the minimum wage through the agency i have signed up with is £4.80. beware though cos most jobs you'll be given will be in factory environment especially packing. If you dont mind that then this is the best option for summer work.
That's what I did this summer — I went to all the agencies I could find in Leicester, but most said they wanted someone with experience, or else had enough people anyway. One place had a queue of 3 students, they told me to wait for an interview, and the next 2 that they had plenty of people. Maybe they have to like the look of you.

Anyway, through that agency I've had work since the day after the 'interview'. Firstly two week-long cleaning jobs (the first was fine, the second horrid [_very_ noisy factory, make drinks cans, I hated that one]) then two weeks making scaffold boards (mindless, but outside in the sun at least) and now working in a cake factory. Which I like, it's very varied. The pay varied, cleaning is better paid, but I prefer the cakes (and scaffold). Today the manager at the cake factory offered me a permanent job, he was most disappointed that I was going to uni.

None of the other agencies have called me. Neither have the supermarkets etc.

Factory work can be horrid, or you can get lucky. The first job this summer I was very lucky, the job was dirty and hard work, but at least satifying (nice clean factory at the end) and with ample "tea breaks" (like, 6 or 7 a day). The second was not, I was unlucky. At least, as it's temporary you can quit whenever (but I made myself do the whole week).
figgetyfig
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I signed up with a few agencies and got nothing, but my friend got a factory job straight away. So I called up her agency on a friday, and by the monday I was working. I'm only doing three weeks. The job is incredibly boring, but it pays and some of the people I've met there (mostly students) are a great laugh.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (116)
80.56%
Leave (28)
19.44%

Watched Threads