The Student Room Group
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website

Any mature (im 22) students starting at glasgow this september - what accommodation?

Are there any of you out there thinking about staying in halls?
I have an option for a private flat (parents investing in it) but I still want to be in an environment where it's easy to meet people.. and not isolated. - for the first year anyway
Hello! I hope you don't mind me replying here. I'm Lilith and I work for Bridge House, a private student accommodation site in the West End.

We are student halls but with a bit of a difference - we only have 128 bedrooms here so we're a relatively small site by West End standards.

We might be a good fit for you as a lot of our students are a bit older, postgraduates or older undergraduates, who are looking to meet new people in a uni-orientated environment without worrying about getting woken by 500 17 year olds at all hours!

However, we still have the convenience of all your bills being included, a super high standard of accommodation and facilities including a gym onsite, great social areas and lots of other perks.

We have rooms available in six bed flats at a range of prices which might work for you. Our website is here: http://freshstudentliving.co.uk/property/bridge-house/ if you need more info.

We only opened in September and we've had great feedback from students in similar circumstances to yourself so we might be a good fit for you to consider among your options. If so, please do get in touch at [email protected].
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website
Hey! I'm 21 and got an offer for Glasgow just last night which I'll probably accept...
I'm not much help in answering your question but I'm in the same boat - not sure whether to live in halls for the social aspect (but not a huge fan of the idea of being woken by 500 17 year olds at all hours haha ) or if I should flat privately... Will follow this thread closely to see other people's opinions :smile:
Hi,

Hoping I can help out a bit here…

If you are still looking for student accommodation, Foundry Courtyard Glasgow has a selection of fantastic rooms still available!

We’re a brand new building, so you’ll be the first person to live here. All the rooms have lots of space with small double beds and stylish décor, plus large showers just for you. We have a selection of residency types available i.e. 44 weeks, 50 weeks and 51 weeks as per your request and also have both studio flats and shared accommodation available (perfect for meeting other students however still having your own personal space).

If you have any further enquiries/questions please do not hesitate to email [email protected] or give us a call on 0141 375 9969 and I would be more than happy to help!

Nicola
mature international student here (23) and already booked West Village, which is only 5 mins walk from the uni campus :smile:
As for the price - I'll be paying £163 per week, for a studio, everything included like Internet, electricity etc.

I was feeling wobbly bout whether going for off-campus private ones / student accommodations, but my 1st concern is the lack of time to look for a private one since I fly all the way to Glasgow from Hong Kong 'round a month before the course starts at the earliest. Settling in well: Finding the perfect property with good location + price / Furniture + Broadband + stuff all sorted within a month seems quite challenging for me so it's a no-no.

I'm returning to uni after a 5-year education break and I do agree with you, hate the idea of being woken by some party monsters in the middle of the night, but basically annoying neighbours are everywhere and who knows, I might come across some crazy neighbours living at a private flat. On the other hand, it's also very easy to get to know new friends living at student halls. You can always go to the uni's library to study if you think your place isn't quiet enough, it's only 5-10 mins away. You can always move out the following year if you do hate the environment, have plenty of time to look for one during the summer, and by that time you'll have already lived in Glasgow for a year so you know which areas to avoid.

In conclusion, if you aren't from Glasgow and this is your 1st academic year, stay at halls first. You might come across some good mates and you guys decide to move out together the following year, who knows.
(edited 7 years ago)
27 here, moved in with my Gran @ Mount Florida at the start of last academic term (access stem @ college) from East Kilbride to be closer & save money. Considering getting a flatshare in town somewhere. Don't really care about meeting people so that's not an issue for me. I'm currenty 45min from door to door
Reply 6
Hi, I'm also going to be 22 when I start at Glasgow.

Although I'm not a fan of rowdy teenagers either, I have chosen to stay in halls for my first year. Hopefully I'll be living with other mature students.

Have you guys decided on whether to stay in halls yet? :-)
Reply 7
Original post by KMS1402

Although I'm not a fan of rowdy teenagers either, I have chosen to stay in halls for my first year. Hopefully I'll be living with other mature students.

No not yet but halls are still an option! What halls are you going for?
Hi there! I'm 24 and do not want to be returning to halls either, so I thought renting on my own or with people who are also still looking would be my best option - does anyone know of any good areas in terms of price that are not too far from uni? :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by bobbyl2
No not yet but halls are still an option! What halls are you going for?

I've just accepted an offer for Kelvinhaugh Gate :-)

I feel that if I live anywhere else I'll isolate myself too much. I think it's the best way to meet people and integrate. I hope it will be anyway!
Reply 10
Hi,

Another 22 year old here. Accepted my offer for Murano Street last night. I'm a bit uncertain about it though and was considering private halls.
On the one hand, I'm a bit worried about living with a load of crazy, noisy 17 yrs olds, on the other if I decided to go private I've heard it can be harder to meet people and that the halls are a lot less sociable.

Any other older students who are going to Murano Str, or any who have been there? How was your experience?
Original post by KMS1402

Hey,

Hoping we can help out a little Have you had a look at Dobbie’s Point (private student halls). Our marketing suite is open now so you are more than welcome to come take a look around and find out all about living with us. If you can’t pop in, give us a call and we can arrange for a skype tour of our show room.

We also have a great Social Spaces with flat screen TV’s and table tennis table, roof gardens, cinema room, gym and courtyard. We are just a 5 minute walk from the city centre.

Check out our Facebook page over at www.facebook.com/dobbiespoint to see the latest photos or contact us on 0141 375 9963.

Thanks,
Zac @ Dobbie’s Point
Original post by bobbyl2
Are there any of you out there thinking about staying in halls?
I have an option for a private flat (parents investing in it) but I still want to be in an environment where it's easy to meet people.. and not isolated. - for the first year anyway

Hi Bobby!

I hope you don't mind me jumping in here.

I'm emailing from Collegelands, a student accommodation site based in Glasgow city centre.

We have a wide range of students living with us and we feel like we have something to offer everyone - we currently have en-suite bedrooms within a shared flat available or, if you're looking for something a little more private, we also have a limited amount of our studios left too. This means you have completely your own space but you can still attend our weekly events that we host at Collegelands to meet your neighbours - it's the best of both worlds!

If you want to chat with us or want to come along for a viewing, feel free to give us a call on 0141 552 1915.

Lucy @Collegelands.
Original post by Lonlunx
Hi,

Another 22 year old here. Accepted my offer for Murano Street last night. I'm a bit uncertain about it though and was considering private halls.
On the one hand, I'm a bit worried about living with a load of crazy, noisy 17 yrs olds, on the
other if I decided to go private I've heard it can be harder to meet people and that the halls are a lot less sociable.

Any other older students who are going to Murano Str, or any who have been there? How was your experience?

Hey I'm exactly in the situation you are in. Plus murano is 25 min walk which may be annoying so I'm thinking about a bus pass. Hopefully there's a lot more of people like us
Hi Bobby,

Hope we can help you here - have you had a look at Merchant Studios? We are a private student accommodation site offering rooms in the form of studios in the Merchant City area of Glasgow City Centre. We offer 4 different types of studio differing in size and price.

This may be perfect for you as a postgraduate student as the majority of our student are also studying postgrad courses. We are also situated right next to High Street train station meaning reaching the university won't be a problem.

You can find us on Facebook, visit www.FreshStudentLiving.co.uk or give us a call on 0141 212 9854 if you have any questions!

Jordan @ Merchant Studios
Reply 15
Hi!Maybe you could ask me a question. I'm 22 and I'll be doing an erasmus next year in Strathclyde and I'm looking for a hall with other erasmus (but not a lot) and also Scottish people (but not 17 or 18 people). How is Dobbies's Point in that way?Thanks!!Luis
Original post by Lonlunx
Hi,

On the one hand, I'm a bit worried about living with a load of crazy, noisy 17 yrs olds, on the other if I decided to go private I've heard it can be harder to meet people and that the halls are a lot less sociable.

Hi! I'll be 24 when I (hopefully) go to Glasgow uni. How did you find Murano Street as a mature student? Did they place you with people of a similar age?
Original post by KMS1402
I've just accepted an offer for Kelvinhaugh Gate :-)

I feel that if I live anywhere else I'll isolate myself too much. I think it's the best way to meet people and integrate. I hope it will be anyway!

Hi! How did you find it? I've been looking at Cairncross House but the layout seems a little weird. Like individual rooms on long corridors, rather than actual uni hall flats. Do you know anyone who went there? How was it? And how was your experience at Kelvinhaugh? Thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending