The Student Room Group

Is private dental experience enough?

Hello,

I have contacted many GDP NHS dentists in my area but none seem to offer work experience. I have however managed to secure a placement in a private dental practice (of which does offer some NHS treatment, but mainly private).

So, would I be okay if this was my only experience if I am there for over 2 weeks? I will still try and get a placement in a GDP but I am getting worried that unis won't accept me without this experience.

Thank you :smile:
I would say yes, but it would definitely give you an advantage in an interview situation if you have a good understanding of how both types of practice work. Working in a private practice will definitely give you exposure to more varied dental treatments but working in an NHS practice will give you an idea of the speed and organisation needed to work effectively and will give you an understanding of how NHS dentistry works. Even if you never plan on working for the NHS, you will always have to do your VT year after you graduate... experience of this definitely won't do you any harm.

Try to find a little independent NHS practice if you can. You'll find that corporate NHS dentistry are just not interested in having you there, they are all about the targets and their dentists meeting those targets, you will be seen as just someone in the way. You are much more likely to gain some valuable experience where the owner is on site.

Good luck :smile:
It was the same for my daughter ( 10 days at mainly private practice) and it was enough to get her 3 interviews and two offers.

Quick Reply

Latest